sludge in oil

devdiesel

Reaction score
hey guys,

so 3 weeks ago I ripped into my 08 6.4 to do a bunch of upgrades, studs (one at a time, hadnt had any gasket issues) , 6.0l manifolds/ up pipes, ported intake, lp batmowheel, airdog 2, wastegate, downpipe....it all went smooth, truck fired right up... then last Friday I got a big boost leak and concluded it was the intake manifold wasn't sealing... so last night I ripped it apart again, I also had a glow plug code so I pulled the valve cover to see what was wrong and found a bunch of sludge on the passanger side valve cover? their was also a little on the drivers side, truck hasn't used or gained any coolant or oil, I pulled the water pump and the front cover looked great.... I'm lost, help would be appreciated

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341443179.659855.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341443179.659855.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 144

devdiesel

Reaction score
also I drained/ flushed the coolant before and switched it over to red cat elc coolant, I would think you would see some red traces in the sludge but I can't find any... I has been quite humid/ hot here lately, wondering if it could just be condensation? I have the ccv routed to the atmosphere... I sent an oil sample out tonight so we will see what comes back

Dzchey21

Reaction score
also I drained/ flushed the coolant before and switched it over to red cat elc coolant, I would think you would see some red traces in the sludge but I can't find any... I has been quite humid/ hot here lately, wondering if it could just be condensation? I have the ccv routed to the atmosphere... I sent an oil sample out tonight so we will see what comes back

When my truck was tracking coolant up the head stud it put sludge under the valve cover and out of the.breather. I.coildnt find coolant anywhere until I pulled the valve cover. Nothing in the oil Ect but it was from the head gasket.

Is the truck pushing coolant or anything? Could also be from the front cover how many miles on it?

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I missed the part in your post about the studs one at a time. I'm guess when you did the studs the gaskets somehow got disturbed.

What studs do you have? What did they get torqued to?

devdiesel

Reaction score
no the rest of the head looks perfect, no sludge, oil that I drained out looks fine not milky or anything, just on the tops of the valve covers is the sludge

devdiesel

Reaction score
test came back positive for glycol/ coolant, if it not the front cover then headgaskets? anything else I should check first?

Reaction score
pull you water pump and check for cavitation, and if it is, better start planning to pull the turbo to change out the oil cooler also. All that debris has to go somewhere.

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
What causes cavitaion?

air entering the cooling system. also weak coolant mix.

when the combustion cycle happens,it creates intense heat,causing the water to boil.

this boiling causes water vapor to form. these vapor bubbles beat on cylinder walls,etc,causing a torch like effect on metal.

agreeded with above.. pull the pump. use a mirror if the cavitation spot isnt in plain sight.

ill wait for your reply before i tell you where your going next. you wont like it.....

Last edited:

MINK

Reaction score
air entering the cooling system. also weak coolant mix.

when the combustion cycle happens,it creates intense heat,causing the water to boil.

this boiling causes water vapor to form. these vapor bubbles beat on cylinder walls,etc,causing a torch like effect on metal.

agreeded with above.. pull the pump. use a mirror if the cavitation spot isnt in plain sight.

ill wait for your reply before i tell you where your going next. you wont like it.....

Good info, thanks.

devdiesel

Reaction score
I pulled the water pump last night
4ac609f3-cd42-b1c4.jpg

looks fine to me, the everything looked perfect before I dropped the studs in, hg is my guess

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I pulled the water pump last night
4ac609f3-cd42-b1c4.jpg

looks fine to me, the everything looked perfect before I dropped the studs in, hg is my guess

in the lower right corner of the pic,thats cavitation starting on the front cover.

it doesnt appear to be going through tho.

if you are pulling the heads,find someone with a dial indicator,and measure your piston protrusion on all 8 pistons.

if you find one that doesnt match up. pull the motor.

i had one with the same goop inside. checked the front cover,nothing. long story short it ended up no.8 hydrolocked,bent a rod,pulling the piston into the counter balance on the crank,pinching the piston in the bore,then breaking the block..

truck ran fine.

Last edited:

devdiesel

Reaction score
just an update on this, I had my friend who's a diesel tech look at it and he was convinced it was the front cover even though nothing's visible... so I slapped a new one on and she's running again yesterday, seems to be running perfect on gearheads hot street right now, I'm gonna pull the oil fill off in a week or so and see if any sludge had come back... if their is I guess the built motor will be goin in ahead of time :p , thanks again everyone for the input, much appreciated

Latest posts

Members online