Snails Pace Build / Rebuild

6.4 Stroker

Reaction score
Small update:

Dropped the truck Monday 7/21 (thanks Matt aka Blcksmk08)
Cab off / heads off Tuesday 7/22
Fuel pump delivered by AirFish on 7/23

Things have been moving forward at a steady pace. Got a call today from Buddy @ MPD saying my rockers showed excessive wear. Guess that's what happens when you use synthetic oil. New rockers are being put in and the truck will be buttoned up tomorrow if all goes well.

So, even with synthetic oil your rockers wore out?
Wow, oiling must just suck on these trucks.

buck russell

Reaction score
So, even with synthetic oil your rockers wore out?
Wow, oiling must just suck on these trucks.
Basically there are two schools of thought.

Synthetic and conventional.

Around 25k miles I switched to conventional oil. It's been said that synthetic breaks down under the extreme heat of the 6.4. But more importantly, it thins out. Thus, the rockers aren't coated properly and wear prematurely.

Henceforth why I will only be running conventional oil from this point forward.

B585Ford

Reaction score
Basically there are two schools of thought.

Synthetic and conventional.

Around 25k miles I switched to conventional oil. It's been said that synthetic breaks down under the extreme heat of the 6.4. But more importantly, it thins out. Thus, the rockers aren't coated properly and wear prematurely.

Henceforth why I will only be running conventional oil from this point forward.

How many miles were on the truck before you deleted the DPF? Diluted oil definitely plays hell on these rockers.
I am going to play devil's advocate, but when I look the the oiling system for the rockers, it looks to me like thick oil would have more trouble getting where it needs to be so are you sure that it wasn't heavier oil causing the problem (assuming yours was deleted with low miles)?

Reaction score
10w30 semisynthetic is all we run. 7.3 to 6.7. Golden, starts good in the winter etc. even in the pull truck.

15-40 is old news.

Looking good Andrew, can't wait to see how you like the new setup.

buck russell

Reaction score
How many miles were on the truck before you deleted the DPF? Diluted oil definitely plays hell on these rockers.
I am going to play devil's advocate, but when I look the the oiling system for the rockers, it looks to me like thick oil would have more trouble getting where it needs to be so are you sure that it wasn't heavier oil causing the problem (assuming yours was deleted with low miles)?

Purchased the truck from Eric @ IDP last year with 18k on it. At this point, I believe Eric had used synthetic the entire time he owned the truck. At this point, I continued using full synthetic until about 27k and then switched to Rotella T6 15-40. The truck was deleted very early on in it's life and was also converted to a single turbo very early on in it's life. The odometer is currently sitting at 42k.

We've always as a rule of thumb run Rotella T6 in all of our trucks except our 6.7's. Never really any issues with rocker failures either.

Word.

I run T6 also...no issues to date.

Word.

10w30 semisynthetic is all we run. 7.3 to 6.7. Golden, starts good in the winter etc. even in the pull truck.

15-40 is old news.

Interesting. Morgan, what brand of oil are you using?

Reaction score
susa9yse.jpg

We used to use it in 15/40 but it now all 10/30

buck russell

Reaction score
Well I just saw the video. How is it!?
It needs some tweaking in the tuning. It's still running the same tune from the single with 30s so it fuels really heavy down low and thins out up top.

Eric is going to send me new tunes tomorrow and then I'll be able to give a more honest impression.

First impression is that the turbo spools a little slower than my 66 but once you get it lit, it pulls super hard. I'm very impressed with the new setup and I really like the way it drives. The dual fueler setup makes a huge difference.

The guys at mpd also put on their new pedestal and up pipe kit and I can say that it's extremely well built. I would highly recommend the new MPD single kit to anyone interested in going that route.

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
It needs some tweaking in the tuning. It's still running the same tune from the single with 30s so it fuels really heavy down low and thins out up top.

Eric is going to send me new tunes tomorrow and then I'll be able to give a more honest impression.

First impression is that the turbo spools a little slower than my 66 but once you get it lit, it pulls super hard. I'm very impressed with the new setup and I really like the way it drives. The dual fueler setup makes a huge difference.

The guys at mpd also put on their new pedestal and up pipe kit and I can say that it's extremely well built. I would highly recommend the new MPD single kit to anyone interested in going that route.

Can't wait to go do WOT pulls in it later this week with you when I come down to get my truck LOL

Jomax

Reaction score

15-40 is old news.

Even for 7.3s? 30w isn't to low? I might start using Rotellas semi 10-30w

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.