Sound Deadners

Layson

Reaction score
has anyone used roll-on bed liner on the floor and stuff in a cab?

I took a body shop years ago and the hot rod guys swore by doing it before the truck got painted, said it acted like sound deadner and it was a little cheaper, and then they also said combine that with sound deadner and you can make an old truck silent on the inside

I did my entire truck for like 250 bucks without messing with any other products.

This is the link to the raamaudio products with the ensolite.. http://www.raamaudio.com/

Layson

Reaction score
I would like to know that too, don't know much about the different deadining material.

Is raamat just as thick as dynomat? I know some are thinner and you need more. Just want to do it right and once.

I have not ever compared the two products but this is what I did.

I did two layers on the front floor boards. Then one layer for the rest bottom of the cab. Then an additional layer where the exhaust passes through. Went with one layer on the outer skin of the door panel, and another layer on the inner door panel. Then of course filled every crevis with spray foam where I couldn't fit the raamat.

Then covered it all with ensolite. It is really the key to finish it off.

thuglike

Reaction score

I did two layers on the front floor boards. Then one layer for the rest bottom of the cab. Then an additional layer where the exhaust passes through. Went with one layer on the outer skin of the door panel, and another layer on the inner door panel. Then of course filled every crevis with spray foam where I couldn't fit the raamat.

Then covered it all with ensolite. It is really the key to finish it off.[/QUOTE]

The Dynamat,FatMat,Raamat and so on are used to stiffen your sheetmetal.
Nothing more than a rattle deadener. The ensolite like the one from Raamaudio is the sound barrier. The ensolite blocks and absorbs airbourne noises. Combine the 2 and you will have a super quiet cab.

Austin

Reaction score
has anyone used roll-on bed liner on the floor and stuff in a cab?

I took a body shop years ago and the hot rod guys swore by doing it before the truck got painted, said it acted like sound deadner and it was a little cheaper, and then they also said combine that with sound deadner and you can make an old truck silent on the inside

There is a product out called Lizard skin? For that purpose alone. It's not real cheap when I was checking out pricing, but I hear it works well.

Erikclaw

Reaction score

Then covered it all with ensolite. It is really the key to finish it off.[/QUOTE]

The Dynamat,FatMat,Raamat and so on are used to stiffen your sheetmetal.
Nothing more than a rattle deadener. The ensolite like the one from Raamaudio is the sound barrier. The ensolite blocks and absorbs airbourne noises. Combine the 2 and you will have a super quiet cab.

So is it a good idea to combing the two, even though there is no speaker near it. I thought ensolite was mainly for abosrbing frequencies behind the speaker to make or give it a fuller more realistic sound.

BMac

Reaction score
ensolite is a sound barrier, all the dynamat and the like do is eliminate vibration, without the ensolite over it you will still get sound transmission into the cab

jdc753

Reaction score
So is it a good idea to combing the two, even though there is no speaker near it. I thought ensolite was mainly for abosrbing frequencies behind the speaker to make or give it a fuller more realistic sound.

Yup like Jason said it is a 2 part system, the dampner for the structural noise and then the air barrier for the air born noises.

The stuff you are thinking to work in ONLY the speaker area are products such as Dynaxorb pads, deflex pads, Black Hole 5, and on the cheap, Egg crate foam. The idea behind these products are to disrupt the backwaves from the speaker cone and reflect them in a disruptive manner so that they don't bounce back into the speaker cone and disrupt its travel.

Here is a list of the Products I know of on the market (I'm sure I will miss some so feel free to add)

Dynamat Products, www.dynamat.com

Dynamat Xtreme

Thickness: 0.067" (1.7mm) Foil, 4 mil aluminum
Mass: 0.45 lbs/ft^2
Price: Bulk Pack 36 square feet, $310, $8.61 per square foot

Dynaliner, available in thicknesses of 1/8", 1/4" and 1/2" it comes pre backed with a sticky side just like the deadener, peel the wax paper and apply it, while most other air barriers need a spray glue to hold it down. Combination of open and closed cell foam.

Price: 1 sheet 1/8" thick 12 ft^2 $75, $6.25 per square foot

Second Skin Audio (Damplifier Pro, Overkill Pro and Luxury Liner Pro), www.secondskinaudio.com

Damplifier Pro
, most similar to Dynamat Xtreme

Thickness: 2mm, 6.5mil black aluminum foil
Mass: 0.6lbs/ft^2
Price: Bulk Pack 36.5 ft^2 $186, $5.09 per square foot

Overkill Pro, most similar to dynaliner and Ensolite, closed cell foam)

Price: 1 sheet 3/8" thick 9ft^2 $33, $3.67 per square foot

RAAMaudio (Raamat BXT, ensolite), http://www.raamaudio.com/

Raamat BXT

Thickness: 0.06" (6mils), 4mils aluminum foil
Mass: 0.52 lbs/ft^2
Price: Bulk Pack, 37.5ft^2 $90, $2.4 per square foot

Ensolite,

Price: sold by the yard, 14 ft^2 per yard, $12 per yard, $0.85 per square foot.

Fatmat, www.fatmat.com

B-Quiet, www.b-quiet.com

B-Quiet Ultimate

Thickness: 60mils
Mass: 0.35 lbs/ft^2
Price: 50ft^2 roll, $130, $2.6 per square foot

Stinger, http://www.stingerelectronics.com/

Roadkill,

Thickness: 0.08" (80mils) 6mils Aluminum foil
Mass: 0.65 lbs/ft^2
Price: 36 ft^2 Bulk Pack, $219, $6.08 per square foot

Hushmat, www.hushmat.com

Basically what it comes down too is how much mass can you add for your dollar. The foil thickness and the butyl thickness comes into play but essentially what you are looking for is mass.

In my own truck I have Raam BXT, Damplifier Pro and Second Skin SPL tiles. I personally like the Damplifier pro due to its specs per dollar, but in a blind test it would be quite hard to tell the difference between the damp pro and BXT. I have also installed a ton of Dynamat Xtreme in a friends truck and would say it feels (cuts) just like Damplifier pro. I really like the dynaliner due to the fact you can get it in bigger thicknesses 1/2" would be nice on the roof and back wall to get as much as you can.

Some great further reading,

ultimate-sound-deadening-more-08-tundra

Sound Deadening 101

Sound Deadening 201

The install in my friends Cummins, all dynamat products thanks to his sponsorship,

OK so Sound Control is the starting point/building block at which everything else in your install is built on. Keeping Road noise out, cold/hot temps out/in, keeping panels with speakers mounted on them tamed, and eliminating tactile vibrations reaching the listener is geared toward increasing the overall listening experience. For my sound control efforts I used Dynamic Control's products; a large amount Dynamat Extreme and 1/8", 1/4", and 1/2" Dynaliner were acquired.

For this weekend I enlisted the help of jdc753!! This goes allot quicker and easier as well as less frustrating when you have help. Thanks sir for coming down and lending a helping hand. Your help was INVALUABLE!!

Ok so first off here are a few pics of Dodge's sorry excuse for stock damping!
IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

Down to business. The floor board, rear seating area, and back wall Xtreme layer.
IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

Then the Dynaliner Layer on the same surfaces as above.
IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0061.jpg

All in all it was a success! Without the doors completed (later this week) all I can hear is the engine. I couldn't have asked for better install products!! They met if not exceeded what the company said they would do!!

Door pics soon!

Update from today!

Dynaxorb pads and Dynaliner on the outerskin put in.....
IMG_0006-3.jpg

Dynamat layer on the center skin.....
IMG_0002-2.jpg

Last edited:

Erikclaw

Reaction score
I will attack that info when I have more time to spend. Great stuff though. Is the dynaliner the same as ensolite?

jdc753

Reaction score
I will attack that info when I have more time to spend. Great stuff though. Is the dynaliner the same as ensolite?

They are and they aren't, both are targeted to do the same job but are slightly different.

Dynaliner is a combination of both open cell and closed cell foam layered so as to get the most advantages from both cell designs.

Ensolite and most of the other air barrier products out there are simply closed cell foam designs.

I tought the 1/8" dynaliner felt very similar to the ensolite when installing. It seemed to tear/cut the same and just feel the same when handling. I definitely do like the thicker sheets of dynaliner for areas such as the roof and back wall.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Anyone gutted an OBS cab before to do this!? seems like itd be pretty simple, ive had my front seats out before but the head liner and carpet seems like it would be the most challenging part!

jdc753

Reaction score
Once everything is deadened, are the Dynamat Dynaxorb or similar products worth adding behind the front speakers?

If you can spare the money and want to add them, these really are a tiny addition for those who are looking for the ultimate in sound quality, but at maybe $20 for a pair its not gonna kill the bank. Plus if your already going through the trouble of deadening and sealing up your doors then I would definitely add these to the list.

I'm sure you understand the concept behind them, but for those that are unfamiliar with this sort of product...

dynaxorb_with_without.jpg

What these tiles are for is for deflecting and absorbing the sound and pressure waves that come off the back of the speaker. The concept is that in a normal install most of these waves will travel from the back of the speaker then bounce off the wall behind them (outside skin of the door, or rear wall of the box) and then travel directly back into the speaker slightly disrupting is intended course of oscillation. This would be noticed audible by some as breakup or distortion and most likely noticed during high output high clarity listening.

Take a look at any recording studio or even many sound stages for liver performances. The walls and ceilings will generally be treated with acoustical foam resembling egg crate in shape.

The products I know of for this particular goal would be:

Dynaxorb by Dynamat, http://www.dynamat.com/products_car_audio_dynaxorb.html

Speaker Tweaker, by Second Skin Audio, http://www.secondskinaudio.com/sound-deadening-materials/speaker-tweaker-kit.php

Deflex Pads, by Cascade Audio, http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=268-242

Black Hole 5, http://www.soniccraft.com/products/damping/blackhole5.htm

OR, on the super cheap you can use standard foam egg crate, BUT it will soak up water and will turn to a soggy mess in a short time, hence these automotive products above.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
I've run Dynaxorb pads behind all my drivers for years. I tried them once and felt they were worth the investment. I lined my a-pillar pods with pieces of one and my sub enclosure has 4 of them on the back wall.
It's a small difference but I like to know I did all I could on the install end to get the best sound possible.....now if I could just learn everything I need to about tuning I'd be all set. LOL

My new cab better be Maybach quiet or I'm gonna be pissed. It's getting 100% deadener, 1/8" lead on the floor and firewall, I bought 1/2" Dynaliner for the inner firewall, 100% coverage of 1/4" CCF inside plus MLV on all the vertical surfaces like doors, rear wall, etc. Gonna add some outer firewall treatments too as well as expandable foam everywhere I can put it.

Last edited:

F-117HWK

Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed post Josh I was looking for some other companies offerings as well, and thanks for the feedback Rich.

I agree with what yall said and figure if I am going through the trouble already, mind as well spend a few more bucks and throw them in there. Time to start collecting everything for the spring/summer :pimp:

When using them did yall just glue them to the deadener you put on the outer skin of the door?

And for the roof did you just use deadener? Or did you use deadener and some type of decoupler as well?

Worstenemy453

Reaction score
If any of you guys want to learn about deadener go to Sounddeadenershowdown.com i believe.

Second Skin or SDS is the only deadener or dampning materials that will go in any vehicle i do.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.