Spartan tuner?

punkrockford

Reaction score
In the middle of tuning the truck the tuner said it lost communications and now the truck is totally dead. wont start or crank and spartan reads no communication with truck? what the hell can i do. I had a battery charger on the truck and no accessories turned on.

punkrockford

Reaction score
Tried the old school ecm reset, no luck, truck is dead going to have to tow it to the dealer I guess.

Bigboytoys

Reaction score
I have no really good news for you. The loss of communication during a load of a tune will fry your TCM which wont let the trany do anything but I think that was caused by your ECM dieing mid tune. This isn't tuner related just a case of bad timing.

The dealership is really your only option.

AZ Blacksmoke

Reaction score
How could it be bad timing his truck is '10 with not very many miles, with no issues at all until the tuner gets installed it has to be tuner related?

Commandos888

Reaction score
Hey man!

:thumbsup: The PCM lock you out.does the lights come on on the dash and the radio still work? Check if you have codes for the PATS system.

Commandos888

Reaction score
Re: Hey bud

I love spartan diesel tuner! these tuner's are crazy!!:D where you downloading another tune or did you just get it???

Beans71086

Reaction score
Sounds like you might have fried your PCM, loosing communication during tuning usually comes from two things. Turning the key off or your batteries being weak and not on a charger during tuning.

madman1234509

Reaction score
Did you have a charger hooked up to your truck while tuning it? If not then you might be screwed and that it's no ones fault but your own. I believe the tuner says hook up to a power source before tuning. It needs quite a bit of consistent power to do what it needs. I'd never feel comfortable tuning the truck for 15 minutes with nothing hooked up to the truck.

3brorce

Reaction score
It says in his original post that he had battery charger hooked up.

punkrockford

Reaction score
I had a charger hooked up and the ac an radio turned off. The tuner was copying the stock tune and showing the percentages it got to 100% and then said something to the affect of do not turn off key and deleting sensor or something like that. then it said failed to communicate try to start truck if fail load stock tune. tried to load stock tune and it says it can not communicate with vehicle. when I try to start the truck it does nothing. red car light with padlock over blinks on the dash milage reading comes up then goes to all ------ dashes normal lights on the dash come on. i have not tried the radio. just to restate i did have a charger connected to one of the batteries. going to call road side assistance to have it towed to the dealership. The truck is still under ford factory 3 year or 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. I am in know way trying to bad mouth spartan so please don't take it that way.

3brorce

Reaction score
I assume doors were shut as well. Hopefully you get it figured out.

punkrockford

Reaction score
I also remember that the data display was showing all different symbols during the communication. it would switch from gas pump to temp to oil to tire pressure sensor malfunction. kept cycling through all those while it was working. i dont think it ever got to the point where it was loading the new tune.

3brorce

Reaction score
That schnit is finicky. I have doors shut and everything off when tuning with the driver window open. Those symbols you were seeing sound normal to me.

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
also anything that can modify frequency can cause this problem such as aftermarket gps tracking and remote start or anything wired to the DLC

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
If you haven't had it towed yet, give our office a call tomorrow and speak with Mick. He will be able to tell you exactly what is going on. It could be a simple fix or it could be a TCM/ECM failure. My guess is something flaked out, but I could be wrong.

828-692-9967
10:00 A.M. - 7:00 P.M. EST
Speak with Mick.

Latest posts

Members online