Speedi sleeves on rear axle

thatsmokinobs

Reaction score
Changed my rear brakes this weekend and found it had a leaking wheel seal on one side so I figured I might as well replace both of them. Problem is, both sides have speedi sleeves on them. Anyone have any tips on dealing with these? Best place to buy them? Thanks guys!

jngreen

Reaction score
Changed my rear brakes this weekend and found it had a leaking wheel seal on one side so I figured I might as well replace both of them. Problem is, both sides have speedi sleeves on them. Anyone have any tips on dealing with these? Best place to buy them? Thanks guys!

Is the sleeve on the hub? I have never heard of a speedi sleeve and had to google it. You may have to post up a picture so that we can offer some help. I would assume the sleeve is used to cover up some wear, but I can't picture how it would be useful in this application. Do you have it torn apart?

thatsmokinobs

Reaction score
Yes they are used to cover up wear. I'm assuming where the normal seal goes is pitted or something and wouldn't hold oil. It seems like it's a two piece thing, like you push a new "race" onto the spindle and use an oversized seal. It's all torn apart but I had to come back to school before I coukd get new seals. I'll see if my dad can take some pictures of it sometime tomorrow

ghohouston

Reaction score
You should be able to call a part store and with the seal number, they should be able to give you a part nunber on the sleeves. And be sure you silicone the pitted area on the hub before you slide the sleeve on. I prefer ford grey. Im not entirely sure if ford actually sells sleeves or not, but i have dealt with this on big trucks.

79jasper

Reaction score
You should buy them as a set, with the seal and sleeve. Parts store will have them. Should also come with a installation tool.
I would use a die grinder or dremel to very lightly cut the old one off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

thatsmokinobs

Reaction score
Looking at napa's website, it looks like just the sleeve and the tool to install it but no seal. If that's so, where do I get a new over sized seal and could I just leave these sleeve on?

79jasper

Reaction score
Never mind. I may have misspoke. Lol
That tiny bit of oversize from the sleeve shouldn't be enough to effect the stock size seal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

thatsmokinobs

Reaction score
I'm having a hell of a time trying to find this thing. What I ordered from napa was way wrong. He punched the numbers into his computer and it matched a seal ford could get, so ford's getting me them this monday. Hopefully will be right but I'm pretty sure it's gonna be exactly what I already tried. Tried 4 different local places and nobody has them...

needen$77

Reaction score
i would do new axles i did that road and it didnt last long. but to get them off die grind and split them with a LIGHT chisle

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

78f100

Reaction score
I have used them but have never heard of one that thick. Usually they are very thin, shouldn't be hard to get them off. Post a pic of what you have when you can.

Latest posts

Members online