Squeal

aceltx

Reaction score
I have been chasing a squealing sound on my engine for awhile now....it has a new alternator new tensionsr pulleys, new waterpump...it sounds like its a pulley, it only happens when engine is first started seems to go away as engine warms up, sounds a little louder and takes longer to go away now than it did in the summer. I have started it with belt on noise was there, then i shut it off and removed the belt and started it, i did run it long but the noise was not there. Anyone have any ideas or experienced same noise?? TY

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Try turning and checking for slap at pulleys you haven't replaced

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Did the belt get contaminated with coolant prior to the water pump swap? Try spraying it with either brake clean or silicone lube and see if it goes away.

aceltx

Reaction score
Def not a belt noise, older pulley no slop, really sounds like a pulley squeal but im startin to think could be sonethin else. Does hpop make similar noise when starts to go? Only old pulleys left is crank an PS pump

fastersteve

Reaction score
i just went through this exact thing.

Mine turned out to be the fan clutch, which I had changed last year...

mandkole

Reaction score
you've confirmed its not a belt? A little spritz of brake clean where the belt enters a grooved pulley is all you need. If not, is an intermittent chirp or steady howl? Does it change if the AC clutch is disengaged/engaged?

Ive noticed that when its cold, you can hear the hpop a little during the first minute .

aceltx

Reaction score
I am 100% sure its not the belt its not a belt squeal more like a bearing or pulley, metal squeal. I think I have an old belt from when i put this new one on a year agao, i will try it 2morow for the hell of it. I have not specifily tried engageing the a/c, but I know that the ac is not on and has t been for a few months and noise is there, and during the summer I remember starting truck on hot day noise was there and I turned ac on while truck warmed up noise did not change.
Fastersteve....the noise u are talkin about was it only present when engine was warming and for a short period then would go away until you restarted when engine was cold and did it sound like a pulley bearing?

fastersteve

Reaction score
Yes, that describes it exactly. Started the first time over 2000 rpm for a few seconds, over time it started to last longer and more frequently.
Easy enough to check. Take the fan and clutch off and go for a short drive.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.