Stage 2 MTW vs. Powermax

scparrish

Reaction score
if you have an exhaust leak, which it sounds like you do, then building boost will be slow and the truck will be laggy. Do you have new tunes yet?

BigBlue

Reaction score
Yep, got new tunes from innovative. If I recall correctly, when I did my EGR delete, I had some problems with that Y-pipe. It was a little loose, but I think it was more of a hissing sound. I could be wrong, as it has been over a year since then. I haven't had anyone to listen to it under the hood with boost built to pinpoint it, but it is definitely on the driver's side. sounds like it is right behind the instrument cluster from the cab.

scparrish

Reaction score
if it is seated properly to the turbo then you can take a look at the up pipe connections to the manifold just to rule them. To me it sounds like you are going to be needing new up pipes.

BigBlue

Reaction score
I'm probably gonna take that clamp off after work tonight and just double check. This is confusing me. Hopefully it's just a little loose and I can get it fixed tonight

BigBlue

Reaction score
Ran it on the interstate today. At 75mph, had anywhere from 7-9psi boost, EGTs held pretty steady around 1000*. When I merged however, I gave it some pretty heavy throttle and I saw as high as 1400*.

Fox hunt

Reaction score
Psi soundclose for 75 mph. Cruising egts still seem a bit high. You have stock gearing with those 37s? I have the barder stage 2 in 35s and I see about 800 egt at that speed

BigBlue

Reaction score
Yeah, stock 3.73s. I think I found the problem. Must've bent this y-pipe clamp somehow when I put it all back together. Bad pic quality but you can see where the T won't go under the flanges because they are bent. Gonna grab a new one from the dealership today and hopefully get this thing fixed.
a407661aeb6d4248ef8c029a3672e92d.jpg

BigBlue

Reaction score
Put the new one on, made sure the pipe was flush, and..... Still whooshing. Still high EGTs. Now I'm mad. This means pulling everything apart for a third time. Or messing with the up pipe from the bottom. Both sound like a nightmare again. I guess I'll try from the bottom. Just about fed up with this crap! :doh:

BigBlue

Reaction score
Before I get into this yet again, what would be the symptoms of a bad intercooler boot? I looked again today at the one at the turbo and it looked alright. I just don't think it could be that y pipe again.

04 f350

Reaction score
My clamp did the same thing while installing the same turbo lol... I toke it off and somehow bent it back toghether so it would hold tight, I had a leak right there in the y pipe and the turbo so bad that I actually would have smoke fill my cab while giving some throttle, it is aggrevating tearing everything apart over and over so I feel your pain.

scparrish

Reaction score
Pressure test the system and see if there is a leak, that will tell you if you are in need of a new boot.

The bellow in the up pipes could have cracked when you swapped turbos, which unfortunately is my guess.

BigBlue

Reaction score
Read somewhere about some kind of cap with a valve stem you can buy to test the system? And hopefully the bellow isn't cracked, but that's what I'm leaning towards now too. Drove it tonight and whew! Cab got pretty smelly. Everything was alright before I went and messed with it. Now I have a stinky truck that runs stinky too. Looks like this things gonna have to come apart again...

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
Read somewhere about some kind of cap with a valve stem you can buy to test the system? And hopefully the bellow isn't cracked, but that's what I'm leaning towards now too. Drove it tonight and whew! Cab got pretty smelly. Everything was alright before I went and messed with it. Now I have a stinky truck that runs stinky too. Looks like this things gonna have to come apart again...
Get a shop vac, set it to blow, jam it up the exhaust and tape it in. Then feel around for the leak.

BigBlue

Reaction score
Get a shop vac, set it to blow, jam it up the exhaust and tape it in. Then feel around for the leak.

I never even thought of doing that. That's pretty clever haha. I'll try that Saturday when I get a chance to mess with it again

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
I never even thought of doing that. That's pretty clever haha. I'll try that Saturday when I get a chance to mess with it again
Yeah I was working on a old landcruiser with a exhaust leak I couldn't find find so I came up with that and it worked perfectly. I was almost proud of myself. LOL

BigBlue

Reaction score
Well I couldn't feel anything and I haven't had time to do much other than find it. Looking around, found some visible soot around the bottom of the v-clamp and all over the heat shields. Won't be able to mess with it til at least Monday again. Pulling the turbo (again) and then I will inspect the bellows a little better.

BigBlue

Reaction score
I think I finally got it fixed. Still have elevated EGTs but I think it's because I'm on 37s and 3.73s. Making around 30-33 psi on WOT runs. Still hearing some kind of "whoosh" but I think that may be an ordinary noise for this turbo. No exhaust smell in the cab anymore. Definitely digging this turbo, seemed to add some giddy up to this thing. Hopefully it'll do okay towing.