Starting from scratch

BSB

Reaction score
First off read the 400-500hp thread but hard to keep on track so figured I would start my own.

Just picked up an 06 KR Truck is bone stock one owner gem that I've had for about a 1000 miles now. Truck is just going to be a summer truck that I'd like to build to last. Problem is I just sold my 6.7 that was ******d with custom tunes and this is obviously a significant step down power wise. So I've got about 6-8k to spend on motor upgrades, first and foremost it will be getting arps, egr*** oil cooler upgrade, sct with custom tunes, 5" straight pipe, CAI and what if any other recommendations would the gurus have for some more reliable power!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 63

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Go with one of charlies(kc) turbos and some holders 190/30s. That is a good recipe for 575 or so fuel only in a race tune. Charlies stage 2 turbo spools like a stock 03-early 04 turbo. And both of their customer servoce is hard to beat. A no limit intake will work wonders too, a i have a buddy who bought an s&b, and had to get a no limit within 2k miles due.to the filter minder sucking in all the time.

BSB

Reaction score
Whats the difference with the 03-04 turbos compared to the 06 turbo? Any benefit to finding a good used one just to keep costs down? Originally wanted to get in that 550 range but doing a little reading and sounds like you're starting to walk a thin line with trannies etc?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
The 03 turbos have the 10 blade turbine and a larger exhaust housing. they spool slightly slower, but pull a little harder up top. The late build turbos spool quick as ***, but lack some up top. You could do a used early one, but I would save your money and save up for a stage 2. these trannies are pretty stout, but with good tuning it will live for a bit over its power level. I beat the hell out of mine, and tranny is starting to hate life in all but my idp tunes, but its been at 600 horse or so now for about a year, year and a half. lots of drag strip passes and towing fairly heavy up decent hills.

sootie

Reaction score
Go with one of charlies(kc) turbos and some holders 190/30s. That is a good recipe for 575 or so fuel only in a race tune. Charlies stage 2 turbo spools like a stock 03-early 04 turbo. And both of their customer servoce is hard to beat. A no limit intake will work wonders too, a i have a buddy who bought an s&b, and had to get a no limit within 2k miles due.to the filter minder sucking in all the time.

get gear head tunes and your trans will last.

Latest posts

Members online