Starting issue... Possible short?

CamTom12

Reaction score
My truck ran fine last night, drove about an hour home from camping, then later fired it back up to reposition in the driveway with no issues. This morning I hop in to go to work and it acts normal until I turn the key all the way to the start position. Everything key-on engine-off looked, sounded, and acted normal.

Once the key goes to the start position, all lights dim and the airbag light flickers. I can also hear what I think is relay chatter, but I don't think I'm hearing even one starter motor "low voltage click". After the key goes back off, the CD player re-finds the discs in it and some other "reconnected battery" tasks are performed. If I wait a minute, I can go key-on engine-off and it's all normal again. If I don't wait a minute and move the key from start back to run but not off first, the symptoms remain. I plugged the trickle charger in for an hour before I thought to check battery voltage, but with the charger unplugged I read 13.3 V across the batteries. After attempting a start, I left the key on and read 4.5V across both batteries. I've got the trickle charger plugged back in and was hoping someone had an idea of where next to look.

Thanks!

Oh, I almost forgot, I did notice it acting strange last night during the 5-6 shift on the way home at part throttle when the TC was locked. FRP would drop from ~13.4k to ~6k momentarily, then to ~1.5k and then spike to ~19k before settling back down at ~12.7k. While this was happening I saw PW move from 720 to 1824 to 2200 then it oscillated minorly around 700 before it settled into a steady figure. All this was at a steady ~12.5% APP_D.

Might be related, might not.

Truck is an 01/07 build Job 1 with DPF/EGR delete. Gearhead Race (last time I flashed was at least a couple of months ago) via SCT and DD monitoring.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
These trucks act odd with dead batterys thats what im thinking might have caused the no start but im also thinking that maybe the under cover harness to the pump is starting to rub and cause a short, like a draw on the battery but not enough to blow the fuse just yet.

CamTom12

Reaction score
It did just get a new HP fuel system in the last 6 months. Maybe it didn't go back together right?

I didn't see a battery light or any other indications of a charging system failure yesterday. I also looked really carefully this morning to see if I'd left anything on, but all switches were off and everything was unplugged except for a little cig lighter usb adaptor that doesn't have anything plugged in to it.

I think I'm going to steal the wife's Jeep and take the batteries for testing. I'm really curious what could have drained them if that's the case. I guess I'll have to get good batteries in there first then check the engine-on voltage if I can get it to crank then.

Is this the road you'd take?

CamTom12

Reaction score
Well, both batteries tested good. Brought them home, hooked it all back up and now there's no issue starting whatsoever. Maybe one of the clamps was loose on the terminal or something, but everything felt good and tight when I took it apart...

Oh well, half a day wasted for apparently nothing.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Mine does some weird stuff like that from time to time. I think Im gonna throw a new ignition switch and started in just for fun.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.