Steering Linkage Clunk / Pop

97Beast

Reaction score
On my front end recently I have noticed a clunking sound when I take a left turn. After investigating, it appears that the drag link is hitting the pitman arm whenever the drag link rotates during a turn.
The concerning thing is that I can rotate the drag link by hand rather easily. Making it clunk back and forth on the pitman arm.
The linkage is all new moog parts that I put on in July when I swapped in my Dana 60.
The only thing I can think of is to put a poly spacer where the drag link and tie rod meet to restrict the movement of the drag link. But not enough to impede its movement.
The moog tie rod came with a poly bushing for the tie rod and passenger knuckle to stop tie rod roll. But now I have drag link roll.
Has anyone had this problem?
I have a freshly rebuilt dana 60. Ball joints are new moog as well. It has a 2.25" PMF RSK with U-code SD springs and a pro comp drop pitman arm.

rusty1161

Reaction score
I thought the same thing, but my track bar bracket was loose. Just to rule out another possibility, check that. The bolts require 90-95 foot pounds of torque. This eliminated my clunk.

And this was after I tried the poly spacer bushing, without success.

Rusty

97Beast

Reaction score
Interesting. I'll check those bolts. Was it only on a left turn?
When making a left turn at low to moderate speed it will pop once you cut the wheel just hard enough.
With one hand I can rotate the drag link until it clunks on either side of the pitman arm. Is this normal?

rusty1161

Reaction score
I am not sure if the rotation is normal, but mine is that way, too. Loose!

I only remember the clunk during left hand turns. It's worth a shot, and better yet it's free!

Good luck, I hope it fixes your clunk, too.

Rusty

97Beast

Reaction score
I havent had the time to tighten up the bolts on the track bar bracket. But I will when I get some free time. Luckily the truck doesnt get driven daily.

I found this video today. It shows how our suspension works and how the drag link twists. My drag link twists enough to hit against the pitman arm on a hard left turn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geAoOp0ijPA

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.