Strange module failure

Reaction score
Mods feel free to move this if I posted in the wrong section.

Customer brought me an '08 that blew the motor so they swapped in a 2013 6.7 Cummins. Full Destroked kit, using the 5R110. They got the truck as far as being able to start by jumping the starter and that's it. No gauges, trans won't shift out of 1st, cluster looks like a christmas tree, etc.

After talking with Destroked, figured out the Tach adapter wasn't set up right and a neutral safety feed was missing. Fixed all that, got the truck to start off the factory key, tach works, temp sensors work, still only 1st gear but there's no speedo and the ABS/Brake lights are on. No communication with the ABS Module via IDS. I knew they had the cab off so check the ABS connector, found it unlatched, fixed that and boom, lost every module in this thing. No pcm, no tcm, tbc, pats, you name it, it's gone except for the Instrument Cluster. Truck will only start by the jumping the starter again, no gauges working. Unplugged the ABS, still nothing. Left batteries unhooked all night, got nothing. Truck won't even auto identify with the IDS. Have enter the PCM part number and then I get no communication codes out of the IC, everything else is dead.

I'm at a loss at this point, can't find any blown fuses or something obvious. I'm trying to track down another Ford PCM locally to see if that brings it back. I didn't think a failed abs module could kill the other modules but I'm thinking that's what happened. I'm open to any ideas at this point.

B585Ford

Reaction score
I am watching this thread...you are way out of my league, but is interesting that you lost all of the modules....I wouldn't have guessed that was possible. Good luck with everything.

ncollins64

Reaction score
Just a thought. I don't think we (me and beans diesel) had this issue with my fummins. If you don't get it figured out give Ryan Bean a call. He is really smart and good when it comes to the cummins conversions.

Reaction score
Damn truck is making me work for it. New PCM didn't help. Got a customer to bring me his 6.4 to test on, both PCMs are good. I'm getting a crash course in exactly how the CAN work on a 6.4 is setup. I ran out of time today but did find that I somehow lost the PCM from the network. Resistance check on pins 4 and 11 of the DLC shows too low of resistance, ~120 ohms. Pins 4 and 11 feed from the IC and the PCM. IC has 120 ohm resistor, I forget what the PCM has. Checked the corresponding pins on the smaller of the two PCM connectors and I have an open circuit in the CAN Network.

Basically somewhere between the PCM and the DLC I have a connection problem. Must have moved something just enough when I connected the ABS up. Either a broken wire or a connector not in all the way.

Also, 6.4 PCMs are cheap, got one for $100. And I got to EFILive a 2013 Cummins, with 08 ECM. Does wicked first gear burnouts at least (customer encouraged haha)

Latest posts

Members online