Strange tuning questions

Reaction score
Ok guys. On behalf of my brother in law. He is an orchard farmer.. Built this f350 into a "tug" basically trying to use it as a tractor, but has some on road capabilities for running to a different orchard etc. It's an 05 dually zf6 4x4. 4.30s I believe if it matters. What he wants/needs is to ease thru the orchard at about 3-4 mph at a set speed. Cruise control would be ideal. High idle might be an option as he thinks 4-lo is gonna be the best bet. He would like to be able to idle down when not in the orchard without changing tune ideally. Any ideas?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Low gear no throttle should be about that. Ive heard of farmers walking next to the truck in this gear and throwing stuff in the bed.

morefuel

Reaction score
Might be able to have someone drop the cruise set points way down with tuning and set the deviation really low. Around hear i heard of one place using some sort of aftermarket throttle controler on a 6.4. I think it might be designed for farming applications? I know next to nothing about it though.

shmoozer

Reaction score
Just thinking out loud here, if you were to wire in a high idle switch could you put it in low gear and flip the high idle on? I would think the higher rpms and low gear should be able to handle essentially idling along with a trailer in tow. I could be way out in left field tho, it has been known to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Radioflyer

Reaction score
Just thinking out loud here, if you were to wire in a high idle switch could you put it in low gear and flip the high idle on? I would think the higher rpms and low gear should be able to handle essentially idling along with a trailer in tow. I could be way out in left field tho, it has been known to happen.

You would have to figure out a way to by pass the parking brake or make it think that the parking brake is engaged. Could Just barley apply the parking brake so it wouldn't drag but the light is on so it thinks the parking brake is applied. Being a manual, there maybe another safety built in. I could be wrong though as well. Never done a high idle switch on a manual.

psduser1

Reaction score

That should work, just jumper the parking brake, so the pcm thinks it is set. Setting rpm might be a little tricky, but not impossible.
4lo, low gear is slow, lol.

Reaction score
Ya I had thought of that too. They even make high idle controllers. But with a manual you can't be moving, or touch brake or clutch, or it idles down. But I did find a electronic hand throttle so he might be going that route. If only we Ford boys had efi live or even mcc on a 6.0.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online