Super Duty injectors in an obs...worth it?

wildbillcody97

Reaction score
Well as the title said I will have a chance to get stock super duty injectors off of a 99 7.3 and probably the turbo, exhaust manifolds and up pipes maybe the hop for cheap but....... I need help from the Powerstroke gurus, is it worth it to put these on my obs for a cheap upgrade or not worth the time and effort. Thanks

TERRCO

Reaction score
As for the injectors, IIRC the SDs are 130s vs your OBs 90s so yes you can get more out of the SDs but you will need some tunes for the injectors. The SDs are split shot vs your OBs single shot.

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
in all honesty id just send your injectors to jim, Rebuilds start at 500$ less parts it needs. same cost ffor stage 1 injectors, so if you want a SD sounding truck then go for the splits. If not then have your injectors done, but like said above you will need tunes for split shots

always-strokin

Reaction score
SD injectors not worth it. Split shots are retarded. Plus you'd need tuning to make them work properly. Just send your stock injectors off to Jim and have some stage 1's or something made up.

JD3020

Reaction score
IIRC that $500 is a base price not including parts, and i think Jim posted that he almost always has to replace parts when doing re-builds. Just something to think about.

How cheap is cheap for the injectors? The turbo and everything else really isn't an upgrade or worth much. But if its a Late 99 they are AD's, which are roughly 140cc. They make a good entry-level injector, and will run decent. I ran em for a while, with and without tunes, and i've talked to some other guys that are running them. If you can get them for $3-400ish, and they are low mileage and the truck ran without issues, i'd get em. You probably want/have tunes already, so just get em re-burnt for the injectors and run it.

BTW you can run em all day long without any tuning and it'll run fine. My truck seemed doggier down low, but pulled a lot harder up top. Tunes helped it a bunch.

wildbillcody97

Reaction score
I can probably get them for free and just get the chip reburned for the singleshots. Just didn't know if it would be worth it or not

96F350KID

Reaction score
IMO you'd be much better off if you just did a set of stage ones, 160cc. You'd have more power and wouldn't need so much oil. People come in the shop for injector replacement on their SD trucks and if they REALLY need or want all 8 replaced we just go with a set on 160 single shots and tunes. Have a set in stock ready to go if you want:D

wildbillcody97

Reaction score
If I can get them for the same price as the super duty ones from my friend sure I'd take them but I am on a super tight budget now so......

PSD715

Reaction score
Well how cheap are the super doodie ones?

Edit: if you can get them free, it may be worth it, but going through the hassle of changing ALL the SD stuff over, to then have the exact same performance as a chipped SD doesn't seem worth it to me. Especially if you've never dealt with a turbo and the piping

Last edited:

always-strokin

Reaction score
IMO you'd be much better off if you just did a set of stage ones, 160cc. You'd have more power and wouldn't need so much oil. People come in the shop for injector replacement on their SD trucks and if they REALLY need or want all 8 replaced we just go with a set on 160 single shots and tunes. Have a set in stock ready to go if you want:D

Exactly. Super Duty's came with a 17* hpop for a reason. I bet your 15* obs hpop has some issues feeding those stock SD injectors. Probably not if you leave it alone, but any high-hp tunes or other mods that push the hp level up and I bet the 15* can't keep up.

bruce

Reaction score
hell if you can get them for free you can get 50$ a piece store credit from swamps so you could send in your set and that set and get a set of stage 1's for 400 less than original

TyCorr

Reaction score
Id take.those mothers even if you dont use them. They're worth some coin. If all you have to do is get a chip burnt then its a cheap 50-75hp. I speculate that your hpop wont keep up but thats a tuning issue.

The guy above who.said you have to switch over to sd piping, turbo, and whatnot is either not reading closely or doesnt understand. All your truck needs is tuning to dial in those splits.

PSD715

Reaction score
Well as the title said I will have a chance to get stock super duty injectors off of a 99 7.3 and probably the turbo, exhaust manifolds and up pipes maybe the hop for cheap but....... I need help from the Powerstroke gurus, is it worth it to put these on my obs for a cheap upgrade or not worth the time and effort. Thanks

He was talking about getting it all.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Yea, im answering the title of the thread. If the rest of the stuff.could be had, its still damn good for free.

The improvements are worth the work iiiiif the cost is low. My buddy wants to "get"(his way of saying me.give to him) my stock superduty "stuff". He said Ill try the stock turbo with a ww2 and if it wotks.good ill keep it. Otherwise he wants a 38r. The unfortunate part is I aint.giving it to him. He tends to.sell.things that he indicates interest in that you assume he'll use. I dont like giving him shti for that reason. Hes too cheap to buy the stuff but wont keep it if its gifted to him.

PSD715

Reaction score
I haate people like that. I have some close family friends that are the same way.

But I agree, loosely. If he's already happy with how his truck is, and gets the stuff free, its worth it. If he's wanting to upgrade and this is what he found, its not really. Because he'll want more really soon

Dieselfever

Reaction score
Even if they're free I still think it's a waste of time to put them in and get a chip burnt for them. But to get them and have them and resell would be ideal

bad12jr

Reaction score
I have them in my obs. I feel like it was worth but they were free and I planned on a reburn for my chip anyway. Had the motor out for a front cover so why not. If I had it to do over 160/100s would be there and been done.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

always-strokin

Reaction score
Yea, im answering the title of the thread. If the rest of the stuff.could be had, its still damn good for free.

The improvements are worth the work iiiiif the cost is low. My buddy wants to "get"(his way of saying me.give to him) my stock superduty "stuff". He said Ill try the stock turbo with a ww2 and if it wotks.good ill keep it. Otherwise he wants a 38r. The unfortunate part is I aint.giving it to him. He tends to.sell.things that he indicates interest in that you assume he'll use. I dont like giving him shti for that reason. Hes too cheap to buy the stuff but wont keep it if its gifted to him.

lol

If I had it to do over 160/100s would be there and been done.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

agreed

Latest posts

Members online