Supercharged 7.3

superpsd

Reaction score
What are you using to torque the halves back together?

Well I just carved this little tool out this morning on the mill.
IMAG07561_zps6da60985.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

superpsd

Reaction score
Question for the top dogs. Has anyone ever tried to mount a variable displacement pump on a 7.3? Just seems like it would be nice to turn a screw for more volume or less...Would be spendy but I know a brand that makes small pumps.

Last edited:

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Question for the top dogs. Has anyone ever tried to mount a variable displacement pump on a 7.3? Just seems like it would be nice to turn a screw for more volume or less...Would be spendy but I know a brand that makes small pumps.

Been done. Lots of reasons its not still done. I would venture that if you can do some searching on TDS about 10+ years ago you'll find a small amount of information. As far as I know it was only done by one shop.

cbf9703

Reaction score
^^^ Agreed.

None of this is a new idea, although I appreciate that you're trying to think outside the box. Take a look over at TDS and you'll find plenty of threads about superchargers and probably just about any other idea you want to throw out from back in the day when we struggled more to make power out of 7.3s. There's a reason you don't see all of us slapping one on our trucks now...

To start you off
http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f25/anyone-supercharged-7-3-a-138866/

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f33/why-no-supercharged-diesels-127972/

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f25/ford-powerstroke-supercharger-kit-60-lbs-boost-42993/

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f25/paxton-supercharger-into-turbo-93177/

superpsd

Reaction score
Yeah I have read those threads. Prochargers are a different kind of supercharger it's a centrifugal. I am using a Roots which is a positive displacent blower. Whipples are also positive displacent but is a twin screw style. Twin screws do have a small amount of internal compression where roots do not they are just an air blower. That is why unloaded the new TVS roots blowers use no real hp to spin once bypassed (no pressure differential at atmosphere. On my last elk hunting trip I pulled the pass at 75mph for over an hour uphill then spent another hour going up a rough logging road to camp in 4wd. Then drove home and I averaged 19mpg on that trip. I haven't really seen any drop in economy due to parasitic loss.

Several Cummins trucks are running whipples. Couple are paired with compounds and basically setup the way I am doing it as well. Here is a short clip of a whipple Cummins.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha-AO_hQ9sw

TyCorr

Reaction score
My 38r and some small hybrids with 80% nozzles would make you forget all about this experiment. It would do everything better. Im aware the 38r isnt a drop in. Its a ***k of a lot.better than an s366 and I see people spending oodles on kits to mount them.

ghohouston

Reaction score
My 38r and some small hybrids with 80% nozzles would make you forget all about this experiment. It would do everything better. Im aware the 38r isnt a drop in. Its a ***k of a lot.better than an s366 and I see people spending oodles on kits to mount them.

Yup, my 38r (1.0 housing) and 238/100's lit quicker than any other psd, cummins, or duramax I've been in. Pulled hard too, for smallish hybrids. A coworker of mine had a brand new 6.7 cummins ccsb auto, said he wanted to race me. We raced from a stop. His words to me after the race were, dude, before my turbo even spooled, you were gone.

mandkole

Reaction score
Well I just carved this little tool out this morning on the mill.

Well look at you... got enough to be dangerous now. :thumbsup: For the effort, Id really consider buying bench time at an injector shop before they go back in..

2000wa250

Reaction score
I'm assuming you're pulling snoqualmie pass, and hunting somewhere near Ellensburg or cle elum. That being said, I can pull that pass, drive up any dirt road in the valley, and get 18 mpg with a lifted and stock geared f250.

330/200 and a 468. About as much smoke as expected trying to move 37" Toyo MTS with 3:73's.

My point being, it doesn't seem like your justification of "it works great really is that impressive. Especially for the pain it appears to be with all the work and different blowers and stuff.

Working at Boeing does not qualify you to rebuild injectors, especially if they aren't going to get flowed afterwards.

I highly suggest you pay dynamite, fis, or another injector service facility to flow them. Hell, I bet there's a cat dealership near you that would have a proper flow bench.

The thing is, if you EFF up, there's basically three options. 1) it doesn't fire 2) they fire but aren't balanced 3) they stick open.

No good options, and if they stick open, run away motor and most likely bye bye motor or rod.

superpsd

Reaction score
I wasn't trying to impress merely stating that "parasitic drag" had not been an issue as to affect fuel economy. Now if I pulley it faster it may draw more power but at higher loads/engine speed the turbo spools up takes over and creates an atmospheric differential at the blower discharge.

Dynomite wants to tear the injectors down and charge about 500 I'll pass. They say they will not risk contaminating there bench.

My career has nothing to do with injectors but I have worked with hydraulic systems for a good 10 years. The last company I worked for was a fluid power company. Besides the CNC machines that have complex hydraulic systems I also maintained and repaired over 10 hydraulic test benches. These benches were equipped with large rexroth variable displacement pumps. I've torn apart the pumps, repaired spool valves, magnetic valves, filtration systems, nitrogen charged pressure vessels, cylinder rebuilds, making hoses and flaring pipe. These benches ran tests to 4200 psi. Before we had the max pressure reliefs installed we once took the bench to 9000 psi. Was scary as **** as I've personally been around lines blowing off at 3000 psi. You don't even try to get near to shut it down you stay back. One time the line actually whipped all over and slapped its own disconnect lol.

As for runaways been there. Chevy 6.2 diesel twin turbo I built and a Detroit 2 stroke I had to shut down with my owns hands collapsed across the intake to choke it out.

Anyways I already tore one down on the fuel side.

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
So you've already ***ked up 2 motors you've built? Going for lucky number 3?
lol frank... leave the poor guy alone.. he is already set in his ways and like stated, the top heui guys have commented on it and thats not convincing enough...

live life full throttle

superpsd

Reaction score
LOL
So you've already ***ked up 2 motors you've built? Going for lucky number 3?

No the 6.2 ran had a quick run away burst while driving no big deal injection pump went south I merely disposed of said truck It was a pos farm truck anyways. The Detroit was my fault but I acted quick and got it shut down. Merely stating that if my engine runs away I'm not going to be just running for the hills. As long as you install all the little parts of the injector back where they came from probably not going to have any kind of massive issue like that. Not to mention if one injector hung open I doubt it's going to run away until it comes apart as simply key off will shut down the power to the solenoids. You think it's going to runaway as fuel flows out the tip at 60 psi on one cylinder? Even if some massive failure I wouldn't just be standing there scratching my head.

You guys are acting like pulling apart an heui injector is rocket science. LOL

Last edited:

bruce

Reaction score
LOL

No the 6.2 ran had a quick run away burst while driving no big deal injection pump went south I merely disposed of said truck It was a pos farm truck anyways. The Detroit was my fault but I acted quick and got it shut down. Merely stating that if my engine runs away I'm not going to be just running for the hills. As long as you install all the little parts of the injector back where they came from probably not going to have any kind of massive issue like that. Not to mention if one injector hung open I doubt it's going to run away until it comes apart as simply key off will shut down the power to the solenoids. You think it's going to runaway as fuel flows out the tip at 60 psi on one cylinder? Even if some massive failure I wouldn't just be standing there scratching my head.

You guys are acting like pulling apart an heui injector is rocket science. LOL

Pullin apart the injector isn't hard, it's puttin it back together and makin sure it flows right is the hard part. That's why I let Tim @ pis handle that for me.

Jomax

Reaction score
Pullin apart the injector isn't hard, it's puttin it back together and makin sure it flows right is the hard part. That's why I let Tim @ pis handle that for me.

I can take a 7.3 apart down to the last bolt. Putting it back? You're on your own LOL

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

superpsd

Reaction score
I have put stuff back together that was far more difficult. Like automatic tool changer arms, tool magazine shifters, rotary and index machine tables, spindle drive gearboxes, indexable rotary turrets....Which all take care to the attention as how things came apart so they can go back together. Other than that I will not be able to mod the barrels until I choose a TIG been shopping and weighing my options. May just buy a Miller suitcase DC tig for now and get a larger inverter TIG latter. I have also had great luck with ESAB plasma cutters and MIG welders but have not used there TIG welders.

Last edited:

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
please once this is all done, post videos. i think you should have a mural painted on the side of the truck with the image of a grenade without a pin in it!!!

Name the truck * WAITING ON THE BOOM*!!!!

Latest posts

Members online