Suspension And Engine Mods?

50_shooter

Reaction score
I just got my special ordered 14 platinum. I really like the way these trucks look with a 4.5" lift kit. I have looked at the Icon and Carli kits, but they don't offer a 4 link setup that I have seen. I want to keep the front axle from moving fore/aft.

What I want: A 4.5" lift that rides BETTER than stock, mainly on the road, with some roads being washboarded gravel. I will sled pull a few times per year, so it will have to handle some respectable hp. I want truck to sit slightly higher in rear than front.
I DON'T want: Front axle hop/shimmy, or any spring wrap. Don't want to spend a ton of money on it, as I am not going to Baja it.

Is there a kit out there that fits this bill? I am far from knowledgeable on suspension lifts. All I know is what I have read.Are there any shops in central Illinois that you guys think are reputable at doing this stuff? Im 30 minutes from Effingham, IL.

I'm also considering doing rods and studs in the near future. I don't want to worry about throwing a rod all of the time. I'm pretty sure I'll do a turbo kit at same time. Same thing, who does this work in my area? I figure you all have a handle on who is competent and who isn't...

Thanks

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
icon has a 4 link.

i have a 4.5" icon lift with ouo ala 3 link.

Rowdy

Reaction score
icon has a 4 link.

i have a 4.5" icon lift with ouo ala 3 link.

Yep... Exactly. Stage 4 Icon 4.5" suspension kit comes with every thing you need including 4 link! That's what I have on mine and it rides awesome. Well the only thing it doesn't have is traction bars. I put some OUO traction bars on mine.

Spatel23

Reaction score
Are there any shops in central Illinois that you guys think are reputable at doing this stuff? Im 30 minutes from Effingham, IL.

Jared at RCD is in Peoria for your install.

I have the Icon 4.5 kit and OUO ala's and traction blocks.
Couldn't be happier.

Super08Duty

Reaction score
I have a carli 4.5" coilover lift with full deaver springs and factory radius arms for now. Amazing ride on and off road. Soaks up the rough off-roading it sees daily. Their pintop kit is supposedly very nice for street driven trucks.

Randy_270

Reaction score
I have a carli 4.5" coilover lift with full deaver springs and factory radius arms for now. Amazing ride on and off road. Soaks up the rough off-roading it sees daily. Their pintop kit is supposedly very nice for street driven trucks.

So you have 24" rims and you off road daily??

sootie

Reaction score
Midwest Diesel is in Athens, IL and can do any install you want. He also will be releasing a 6.7 turbo kit soon...

He is "Sledpull" on here

50_shooter

Reaction score
I noticed the stage 4 Icon is $7300+. That seems like a lot of dough for what I will be doing as far as off roading goes, which is virtually none. My daily drive will consist of washboards and rough ass pavement. I mainly want to preserve or better the ride, and handle pulling a sled occasionally. A lot of my lift desire is to make my truck look better since its a cclb 250. It looks excruciatingly long right now. I want to kill front wheel hop as well.

Am I gonna have that kind of money in it regardless? I really want to save what I can on the lift so I will have more money for the engine/tranny. Its looking like Im gonna have over 100k in this thing by the time Im done, lol

smokinstroker

Reaction score
Buy a carli 4.5" if your after ride quality. Full replacement pack in the rear.
After that's installed or if you have leftover funds, purchase OUO 3 link and traction bars.

Best ride quality out there

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
I would suggest an Icon 4.5" Kit with OUO Traction blocks and ALA's. Nothing will ride better than it on the street, and going to a coilover under an 8" Lift actually decreased front wheel travel. Plus carli's claim that their leaf springs cure suspension wrap and ride better than stock is a load of chit.

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
Am I gonna have that kind of money in it regardless?

I bought a budget icon 4.5" for my 2008... Then the rear axle needed moved forward so I got new blocks, top plates, then I wanted to upgrade shocks.. Still am not 4 linked or have traction bars...

I'm my experience, pay to do it right or you'll just end up doing it twice.

Do the 4.5" icon with ALA's and OUO traction blocks and you'll have the best setup out there and never had to address it again.

2good2Btru

Reaction score
I bought a budget icon 4.5" for my 2008... Then the rear axle needed moved forward so I got new blocks, top plates, then I wanted to upgrade shocks.. Still am not 4 linked or have traction bars...

I'm my experience, pay to do it right or you'll just end up doing it twice.

Do the 4.5" icon with ALA's and OUO traction blocks and you'll have the best setup out there and never had to address it again.

How did you know that the rear axle needed to be moved forward some? Is it noticeable?

sootie

Reaction score
if you look straight on from the side you will see it is closer to the back of the fender than the front.

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
How did you know that the rear axle needed to be moved forward some? Is it noticeable?

I'll put a picture up later, but yeah it's visibly noticeable. I have 37s stuffed in there so you can really tell the spacing between the fenders. I don't know, but it almost looks like the tires will hit if I were to overload it.

Jayz

Reaction score
I would suggest an Icon 4.5" Kit with OUO Traction blocks and ALA's. Nothing will ride better than it on the street, and going to a coilover under an 8" Lift actually decreased front wheel travel. Plus carli's claim that their leaf springs cure suspension wrap and ride better than stock is a load of chit.

SORRY FOR THE DERAIL! Guess they ride like crap compared to stock leafs with a larger block?? How about just there "add a pack"? I've got a 4" rear block with 5100 bilsteins and was gonna go with the add a pack to "soften" the rear as they claim.

Latest posts

Members online