Synthetic oil question

psdguy95

Reaction score
I've been wanting to switch my truck over to synthetic since my oil change is coming up soon and the winter months are getting close. I was talking to my auto teacher about it and he said I shouldn't switch due to how many miles I have on the truck. Is this true? I have 225k on the clock.

ytee

Reaction score
I switched mine at 105,000 with no problems. I think years ago synthetic oils would start leaking in places where dino oil would not. I am pretty sure these days the synthetic does not leak more or less than dino.

Chris

lossscause

Reaction score
What's your reasoning to switch to syn? Are you just looking for longer oil life?

Our shop truck has 460k+ miles on it on Rotella 15W40 dino w/5k oil changes it's whole life and has never given us any problems. Same goes for the 4 other 7.3L's we have with 300k +.

I think I might try switching to a lighter weight oil this winter to help with cold starts on my personal trucks.

freddie

Reaction score
I switched from Rotella 15W40 to Amsoil 5W50, then to Schaeffer 5W40 (much cheaper than Amsoil and its still full synthetic 5W40) I don't have any more leaks than I did before either lol

I have the Amsoil bypass filter kit on it.

I switched to 5W40 because my truck would start in much colder temperatures than it would with 15W40 (not plugged in). Not only would it actually start at colder temperatures, it ran MUCH smoother at those cold temperatures when the engine was cold. I think it was a huge improvement, and well worth it!

lossscause

Reaction score
I'm thinking the same thing Freddie - I should be ready for my next oil change when the weather usually starts to turn.

Do you run 5W40 throughout the summer?

freddie

Reaction score
Yes. I run 5W40 year round now. Besides it being more expensive, I see no reason for anyone not to ya know? Afterall, it should be the same viscosity when at operating temperature. But the 5W40 will be lower viscosity when it's freeeeeezing.

Not sure about you but I'm not ready for winter! You a member of OCR btw?

freddie

Reaction score
Check out OCR - Ohio Coal Rollers. Smaller forum. Mostly just for guys to keep in touch and informed about events. There's a lot of BS'n. Its for all makes, and for the most part everyone gets along. We have a few jackasses you have to ignore, of each brand. But.. they come with any forum lol Check it out! I'm Freddie on there as well!
http://www.ohiocoalrollers.com/forum/index.php

I'm not ready for winter or salt either! :( My truck is already showing its age. I intend to leave it parked almost all winter if possible, and then doing some body work sometime next year.

MossBack

Reaction score
I switched at 165k only leaks I have r from my home made ccv other then that switch it.

I am going to run 10 30 this winter its recommended below 0 and we see -0 + all the time.

sent from my iPhone killer

morefuel

Reaction score
I switched at about 225,000 I do have an oil leak not sure if that it has anything to do with being synthetic but I would say go for it.

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
Both of my obs's my have gone syn, 1 at 270k, 1 at 305k. Both leaked more but already had leaks. I run 5/w30 year round.

4tonGT40

Reaction score
Unless you plan on changeing the oil less often, stick to conventional oil. Just change it every 3,000 and your golden. I have a 1987 Diesel Mercedes that i have owned since it had 135,000 it now has 350,000 miles on normal 15w/40 Valvoline every 3000 miles. Im not a big fan of changeing the oil in anything every 5k 10k. Absolutely insane if you ask me. But on the other hand, my diesel mechanic for my truck highly encouraged me to put 5w/40 syn in my truck, so what the hell do i know....LMAO!!!

psdguy95

Reaction score
What's your reasoning to switch to syn? Are you just looking for longer oil life?

Our shop truck has 460k+ miles on it on Rotella 15W40 dino w/5k oil changes it's whole life and has never given us any problems. Same goes for the 4 other 7.3L's we have with 300k +.

I think I might try switching to a lighter weight oil this winter to help with cold starts on my personal trucks.
I like the idea of it for cold starts and the longer oil life. I've always 15w40 and never really had any trouble in the winter. But i figured i'd try something different this time.
I switched from Rotella 15W40 to Amsoil 5W50, then to Schaeffer 5W40 (much cheaper than Amsoil and its still full synthetic 5W40) I don't have any more leaks than I did before either lol

I switched to 5W40 because my truck would start in much colder temperatures than it would with 15W40 (not plugged in). Not only would it actually start at colder temperatures, it ran MUCH smoother at those cold temperatures when the engine was cold. I think it was a huge improvement, and well worth it!
Where do you get the Schaeffer's stuff from? I was thinking of trying the Rotella 5w40 syn.
Unless you plan on changeing the oil less often, stick to conventional oil. Just change it every 3,000 and your golden. I have a 1987 Diesel Mercedes that i have owned since it had 135,000 it now has 350,000 miles on normal 15w/40 Valvoline every 3000 miles. Im not a big fan of changeing the oil in anything every 5k 10k. Absolutely insane if you ask me. But on the other hand, my diesel mechanic for my truck highly encouraged me to put 5w/40 syn in my truck, so what the hell do i know....LMAO!!!

I've always changed mine at about 4k. How do you like the Valvoline oil?

freddie

Reaction score
I used the Schaeffers website to find representatives in the area. The local rep actually delivers my orders for no additional charge! Can't beat that!

KPSquared

Reaction score
I run a 0w40 Synth in the winter and 15w40 Dino in the Spring/Summer/Fall.

Makes my truck 1000 times easier to start. Granted where I'm from its not uncommon to see -40 over the winter. With 15w40 if the truck is off for more than a few hours, it won't start period without being plugged in for several hours and even then its a hard start. I am firing up 3 7.3s frequently over the winter and mine starts WAY easier with the 0w40 Synth.

Do some reading on Bob is the Oil guy forums and you'll learn a ton about what works and what doesn't.

TyCorr

Reaction score

I'm thinking the same thing Freddie - I should be ready for my next oil change when the weather usually starts to turn.

Do you run 5W40 throughout the summer?

Yes. I run 5W40 year round now. Besides it being more expensive, I see no reason for anyone not to ya know? Afterall, it should be the same viscosity when at operating temperature. But the 5W40 will be lower viscosity when it's freeeeeezing.

Not sure about you but I'm not ready for winter! You a member of OCR btw?

I ran pennzoil 15w40 for the first 230k miles. Last fall I switched to Mobil1 5w40 full syn. I did it for the cold weather starts. It did its job brilliantly. I didnt feel like switching back to dino oil for the warmer months just to save a few bucks. Id either run the Mobil1 for turbodiesels or the valvoline syn 5w40. It causes consistent performance out of the heui system too.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.