The crossroads... turn around or keep going?

da94broncodude

Reaction score
alright, where exactly do i begin LOL

Lets start with currently. Currently my truck (2006 amarillo edition) is Running an Afe stage 2 intake, MTW stage 3 68mmVGT, 175/75 injectors, Regulated return, Fass 150, Sinister sump, 5" exhaust and tunes from innovative and gearhead. Trans has an upgraded Direct solenoid otherwise its stock.

Let me say I absolutely love my setup, runs good and surprises a lot of people.

Heres where im at though.. First time i loaded up extreme x it ran damn good, handed a dmax his A** on a first run and the second run the trans did some weird stuff so i decided not to run that tune anymore to preserve the life of the trans.
So after that i stick to street or tow. street runs awesome put truck lengths on another buddys 500rwhp LB7 (intake exh fass efi live built trans 20% over injectors). my truck just runs damn good.

And now heres the bad.... I use the truck, i have a 26ft Toy hauler that comes in around 12k and i want to get a bigger one, maybe even 5th wheel...

Heres the really bad, coming back from idaho over the 24th of july weekend trucks puking coolant again not bad but anything over 30psi of boost i could smell coolant.. (first time gaskets were done under warranty but they didnt surface the heads) So about now im not super butt hurt they are gone ive gotten quite a few miles out of unsurfaced heads with big turbo injectors etc...

Now after my long story telling here are my questions..

Do i keep going? Do head gaskets again and do them right this time surface them etc. Is o ringing worth it? what will it do or help with?
headgaskets fix problem number one, now problem number 2 the trans, dont need anything crazy but im thinking upgraded clutches and converter, Do i need a billet input? will it hold up to towing and every once in a while hit the 1/4 mile track? thirdly I only have 175/75 injectors and this 68 doesnt exactly fully clean them up and when im towing i constantly have to keep it out of OD or in a lower gear with more RPM or EGTs still go up. Frankly i dont know how the hell people are saying that a 68VGT cleans up 190/100s so im thinking i need more air but if i go bigger VGT im guessing i will run into surging issues, and maybe im different then everyone else But i have not had this Turbo surge AT ALL towing its been an awesome turbo i just think i need a little more. was considering trying CED compound kit over the 68, has anyone done this? and after all that can i really even tow?

to sum it up

Keep going:
Headgaskets and possibly oring?
build trans
more air (compound off 68mm VGT) with? s475? s480?

or do i

Fix headgaskets as no matter what that has to be done
powermax
stock injectors

call it a day with a 380hp tow capable truck

sorry if this all sounds like a run on, just a lot of thinking going on.

scparrish

Reaction score
Just cross that compound idea unless you are going non vgt all the way.

If towing ability is a huge concern consider gears.

Do studs the right way and do o rings.

Twisted has good budget friendly transmissions.

turbie

Reaction score
first things first.... your truck is super sick!! i live in wj also, and your truck is one of the reasons i really wanted a 6.0. i remember going to little sahara over easter and you blew past me going into eureka up the canyon hill, and thought, muther***er! thats badass! i must have one. you need to keep it. if for only my enjoyment lol. on to the injectors, the turbo might not cleanup the fuel enough because of our altitude. maybe a barder stage 1 and 175/stock injectors. or compound like you were saying with what you have. i was in your shoes this year, sell it and buy something else, or put the 3k into it and stud, delete egr, new oil cooler, standpipes, check the block and heads. so, i decided to pull the trigger and keep it. and so far, i'm glad i have!

MaxdLaw

Reaction score
Trans for sure. Mines getting done as we speak. And head gaskets and maybe a little more power. Wouldn't over do it too much for towing purposes though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bretferd

Reaction score
Keep it.
Do the headgaskets, deck heads, and o ring them.
Build the trans and get the billet input. (pretty cheap insurance if you ask me)
Get 50% nozzles for your 175s.
Maybe work with your tuner a little bit more for your towing needs.

BigBlue

Reaction score
Definitely do the heads with ARP's and OEM gaskets. I'm not too sure about O-ringing them though. I've never really looked into what that is or what it does.

da94broncodude

Reaction score
Just to clarify, wont be getting rid of the truck by any means just not sure what i wanna do.

Anyone tried a 68mm vgt compounded with an s480?

scparrish

Reaction score
That won't help with towing at all. You will be exactly where you are now except oddly matched turbos under the hood.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Just to clarify, wont be getting rid of the truck by any means just not sure what i wanna do.

Anyone tried a 68mm vgt compounded with an s480?

What everyone else has said is true...

But to answer your question specifically Oliver ran a 68mm vgt with an s475 and it had it pluses... but it also had enough minuses that it did not last long before he switched it up to a smaller vgt, which made it much better... but... In the end he got rid of the vgt altogether and went with two non-vgt turbos for a compound setup.

slc dzl

Reaction score
Get with me sometime and ill show you another truck with a 68 and 175s that cleans up nicely.
and as far as towing have you thought about bumping down the nozzles and going to a fmw 362?

KCTurbos

Reaction score
You mentioned 68mm cleaning up 175/75s or 190/100s??? They should clean them up on the top end, but they will run hotter and smokier down low (as compared to a stage 1 or stage 2 turbo).

here are a couple video just to give reference of how clean they run on the top end.

190/100s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-SpZyjJBgo

190/75
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbSguZ9njxU&feature=youtu.be&list=UU-Oii_RgMB8MODvLe21MPnQ

175/30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6d9TDU7NL8

175/75
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vxe28usyS0

da94broncodude

Reaction score
Drove my truck again today, on a tow tune from eric, truck had a haze all the way up to 90mph egts still got over 1400, boost was at 28psi and EBP read 34psi not sure if these are not 175/75s or what but it does not clean them up. The reason i asked about compounding the turbo i have with an s480 is a friend of mine had that setup on his dmax for a long time with great success before going bigger, my thought process behind it was that i like the setup i have and if it moved a little more air i think it would be a good setup of being able to use the truck and still lay down around 600hp. however if i compounded what i have or go the 62/70-s475 route will i be able to tow and will i need o ringd heads to hold the boost levels or will i be doing headgaskets all the time

valvetick

Reaction score
I have a kc68 and 190/75 and 35's and on my tow tune it only starts to get hot when I am under the turbo in overdrive above 60 mph. Now I have only towed a little double axle enclosed trailer with motorcycles in it so nowhere close to a heavy camper. While excelerating it stays about 1100 until it shifts into overdrive then it warms up. Do you already have a ported manifold to try and move some more air? I am thinking of replacing the stock cold side cac pipe on mine and going to the no limit one to hopefully move a little more air and cool it down a little. Charlie has told me several times that gearing will be the best option to move the Rpm back up and he recommends staying 2500+ with the 68

Now I couldn't imagine trying to tow your weight with my set up. If I ever get a toy hauler I will be going to smaller injectors or wishful thinking would be to keep the 190/75 and run a compound set up.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.