Thinking of buying a 7.3 I need your opinion

smcox1

Reaction score
While browsing craigslist I found this 2000 f350 dually automatic 7.3 with almost 250,000 miles. In the add it says it runs great and drives great but has a problem starting when it's cold. Supposidly all the glow plugs were just replaced so I'm thinking it may be the GPR? Next problem is there's a power steering fluid leak and they have't looked to see where it's coming from so what's the worst case scenario on that? Here's what it looks like and it's at a dealership so I will probably go take a look at it in a few days when I have some time. Oh and the lowest he will take is $3500 I'm not sure if that's a great deal or not as it's been used as a work truck for a construction company all its life.
dually%20f350_zpsywylznce.jpg

Last edited:

smcox1

Reaction score
It will be used as a farm truck and to tow my horse trailers. If I get it the ranch hand will come off and it will get an 05-07 harley front end and 08+ tow mirrors and while it's apart it would be repainted silver. Going for this look.
temporary.jpg_zpslsp5t400.png

The flatbed would come off and be reworked into something more pleasing to the eye, something very similar to this.
temporary.jpg_zpselybqc87.png

It would also be painted to match the truck. As for wheels I would like to do 20" dually fuel mavericks in the back and regular 20x12 fuel mavericks in the front with the spacer removed all wrapped in 33x12.5 tires.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
The hard start when cold condition can come from either glow plug system problems or worn out injectors. It could also come from really low compression but that is not very common if the truck runs good and has normal power once it is started.

You are looking at around $1000 for reman injectors if they are the cause. So factor that into your buying decision. Maybe take a glow plug relay with you when checking it out to see if that solves the problem.

smcox1

Reaction score
I went back and looked at the add and it says new glow plugs and injectors in the past year so I'm wondering if it's just the gpr. Weird thing is, is it's been on craigslist for over a month now

co04cobra

Reaction score
I have had and work on countless trucks in this condition.

A general rule of thumb with the miles and problems stated is going to be around 3K+ providing you service everything. VERY FEW dealers will service chit on a truck with those miles.

You can figure it will need ball joints, misc seals and other small leaks sealed up, all fluids changed etc...

New GPs and injectors in the last year is barely worth the paper it is written on if you don't know who did the work and/or the parts they used.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
I have had and work on countless trucks in this condition.

A general rule of thumb with the miles and problems stated is going to be around 3K+ providing you service everything. VERY FEW dealers will service chit on a truck with those miles.

You can figure it will need ball joints, misc seals and other small leaks sealed up, all fluids changed etc...

New GPs and injectors in the last year is barely worth the paper it is written on if you don't know who did the work and/or the parts they used.

This...

Unfortunately, people cheap out on parts when they are going to get rid of the truck. They could have thrown Autolite glow plugs in with some used injectors out of another truck. Especially since they are only asking $3500. Reman or New injectors will cost between $1000-$2000. I highly doubt they spent that much and are only asking $3500.

Last edited:

smcox1

Reaction score
I agree that people's word isn't worth anything but supposedly the previous owner spent $5000 in parts on it the past year and then the guy that has it for sale now got it on some kind of trade and he has it on consignment at a dealership. Although when emailing the guy that owns it he seems kind of like an asshole because he said the junkyard would give him $3500 so he wasn't going lower than that so if I was looking to get it cheaper he wasn't going any lower and to not waste his time. Okay then why didn't you get the $3500 from the junkyard and be done with it? I think that's why it's still for sale because the guy is an ass hole and I know I'm not going to deal with that.

uncool

Reaction score
If your not afraid to do some troubleshooting and a bit of work, I say go for it.

I just picked up a late 99 with 250k that needed $12 parts to get it running properly, and a lot of cleaning. Driving the heck out of it for the last 6 months with zero issues.

FlatbedCowboy

Reaction score
Yea geez at $3500 a person could spend $7000 on parts and still break even it seems. I would almost vote on low compression for the hard start when cold, but I say that and mine has to be plugged in when its 40*F outside...... injectors with 280,000 on them most likely that problem

It might have been started with ether a lot since it was a company rig and a lot of time people don't know that you can ruin a truck that way.
A weak HPOP can also cause hard starting which Ive also gone through. Look for oil in the valley or for the hole in the bell housing to be covered in oil and dirt.

IF your thinking GPR then an OHM test should help with that, they might have replaced the glow plugs but cracked the harness or pinched a wire which is really easy to do.

At 250K that trans is going to need something at least a torque converter if not refreshed. If it was me, I would go and spend an hour or more looking it over writing down every little thing that I see wrong with it and make a budget and parts list. If you think you can handle it I would definitely buy it.

smcox1

Reaction score
It seems like a good enough deal that if you had to put a couple thousand in it you would still come out ahead. I just haven't had a chance to go look at it I hope to be able to look at it sometime this weekend and if it at least looks decent I'll call my mechanic to take a look at it as I'm not a mechanic by any means but if I know what needs to be fixed I can do it. I think it could look pretty good with some time and money thrown at it. Threw this together real quick. Anyone ever notice how the stock rims look pretty similar to rockstar's? To the point I could have them powder coated black and mount the star center caps and rock them for awhile.
rockstar%20rim%20chop_zpsu16zu9hn.jpg

DocBar

Reaction score
It seems like a good enough deal that if you had to put a couple thousand in it you would still come out ahead. I just haven't had a chance to go look at it I hope to be able to look at it sometime this weekend and if it at least looks decent I'll call my mechanic to take a look at it as I'm not a mechanic by any means but if I know what needs to be fixed I can do it. I think it could look pretty good with some time and money thrown at it. Threw this together real quick. Anyone ever notice how the stock rims look pretty similar to rockstar's? To the point I could have them powder coated black and mount the star center caps and rock them for awhile.
rockstar%20rim%20chop_zpsu16zu9hn.jpg
You might want to take a scan tool with you ands what codes, if any, it's throwing. Something that can run a buzz test and contribution test would be helpful.

Latest posts

Members online