Thinking of converting to a dually. Some questions.

Trail Whale

Reaction score
Ok, so I have been doing a bit more towing for work lately and it looks like the trend will continue. I'm considering converting my SRW truck to a DRW.
Here are the specs on my truck as it sits now:
2012 Crew Cab Short Bed F250
6" ProComp stage 1 lift on the front (coil springs, radius drop brackets)
Rear PMF 7" traction blocks
Icon shocks all the way around.
37" Fuel Offroad tires
17x9 KMC wheels

My plan is to drop the truck down to a 4" lift in the front, a 5" traction block in the rear and run 35" tall tires.

My questions are as follows:

1- can I keep my current axles and add adapters to make the dually conversion work? Meaning can I keep my 8 on 170 bolt pattern or do I have to swap to the 8 on 200 bolt pattern?
2- will the factory dually fenders fit and clear the gar tank filler door on a 2012 short bed. It appears that it would but want to be sure.
3- what would you guys recommend for the front lift? Icon? BDS? PMF? Any others? And should I do 4 link or just drop brackets?
4- I'd like a nice set of dually wheels, preferably in black. Any suggestions?
5- tires? I don't mind them sticking past the fenders, my current set up does already, but what is a good tire to run in a dually situation? I'd like to be at a 35" tall size as the job sites around here can get pretty nasty and rutted so I'm trying to keep some distance between my truck and the ground.
6- anything I am missing?

Has anyone done or seen a 2011+ SHORT BED dually? I'm thinking it would look pretty sweet.

Here is my truck now, imagine it with dual rear wheels

Thanks for the help in advance.

Jason
TrailWhale

Mahdeys

Reaction score
I thought about going to a SRW when I had my DRW.

Front Hubs. The hubs are different to accommodate the dually adapter.
Rear Axle. The DRW Axle is a dana 80, has a different WMS-WMS than the SRW axle. Bolt pattern is 8x200. If you HAVE to have a DRW truck, find a junkyard rear axle from 05-present. For the Front, it may be cheaper to do the same or find a junkyward that can sell you the hubs, adapters and nuts.

Mahdeys

Reaction score
Oh, yeah, you really don't need to run dually wheels in the front. That's only done so if you get a flat, wheels can be used anywhere on the truck. I say this just in case cost is an issue.

RedRice589

Reaction score
I want to do the same and was thinking a drw axle from an '05 or up and rocking singles in front and carrying two spare lol only when trailering. But then I just left it because I really don't need the extra wheel I just want better gearing lol

B.Warning

Reaction score
The only thing you have to change is the rear axle. Then you can run srw front or go ahead an buy the dually spacers and convert it to. Wallis dually fenders can set you up with a set of dually flares that'll fit perfect on your short bed. I'm a fan of 3 link on the front axle, ouo or pmf can hook you up with that. And I have no clue on tires, I always run mud terrain tires with what I do.

Good luck

fullthrottle1000

Reaction score
I am in the process of a conversion on my 2011 f350. I was told factory spacer from 99-04 would bolt on the front since they are 8x170 but they do not fit over the hub the spacers are from a 99 and a 2000 anyone have any ideas what I should do?

Latest posts

Members online