Thoughts on my Budget build

atc500

Reaction score
New here so please be easy on me if im asking a repeated question :axe: ok so just picked up a 07 single cab f350 for a good price with 155k runs great stock except 4''exhaust from stock down pipe Basically i wanna do a simple build on this truck cheap but reliable just to show that 6.0's arent junk and cost a fortune to get some good power from them and of course put some dodges in there place ha as far as upgrades so far im doing the basic egr delete, studs, spring mod,6.4 banjos,gauges For the performance mods im wanting to do warren diesels 175cc/75% injectors with a mad werks stage 2 turbo and a custom sct tune from innovative my questions are is this a good combo will the stock fuel system be enough can you still tow decent without high egts how much power can you get with this combo and still be Daily Driver reliable id like to see the hp in the mid 400s or 500 would be ideal Please let me know if you guys think this is a good set up and capable of the power or what you'd suggest

Last edited:

sootie

Reaction score
dont even consider mad turbo werks. Get a Barder Stage 2, James will treat you right.

also, you may want to consider a ported intake manifold as that will help keep egts down while towing. Your mod list should get you where you want to be powerwise.

I also would encourage you to try Gearhead custom tuning.

Your trans will need some attention before long tho, even if it is just a billet input and better clutches.

Last edited:

mind if I smoke

Reaction score
MTW has some sh!t going on right now. I agree with sootie go with barder or KC. They both have great turbos and even better customer service. I'm planing in getting a KC 68mm here soon since it's built from a factory turbo I'll be able to sell my powermax making the overall cost a little lower.

atc500

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply Geez I just read through some of it I can't believe I missed that in my search so I will go with a barder stage 2 how much will a ported intake run I can get one to send out will a bigger down pipe help with egts much 3.5" or 4" So on tuning you would choose gearhead over innovative I want the truck to run clean I wanna keep it a sleeper I'm hoping my tranny will hold I'm a pretty easy driver I just want this truck for weekend race maybe take it down a track and dyno once or twice and be able to pull about 6k without melting down

sootie

Reaction score
Gearhead tuning gets my vote.

Hit up Powerstroked162 on here. He makes an awesome ported intake manifold.

if you get a turbo back exhaust, it will come with a new downpipe.

atc500

Reaction score
Alright I will I've already got a 4" with straight through muffler from the stock down pipe back so would I Lower egts doing a 3.5 or 4" down pipe

mind if I smoke

Reaction score
I second gearhead. I have tunes from innovative, gearhead, and tsd. Gearhead is by far the cleanest of the three. And Matt is a great guy to work with. Sadly i'm going to go out on a limb and say that your tranny will hold for a little while but not forever. Part of the reason I like my hand shaker.

ajbond

Reaction score
If you tow.. I recommend 30% and a stg2 but for play 50%-75% a stg3 and start saving for a trans...
Barder or K.C.
My combo is 175/30 w/ Barders stg 2.. This is a solid combo for what I need and fun as can be!! Gearhead and TSD tuning were almost identical. TSD responded to tweaks requests better..

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
Can I ask How come you wouldn't consider a mad werks turbo ?

Yeah, KC or Barder. Can't go wrong. Stand up, honest guys. I like 175/30 injectors too. Power Hungry Performance writes very nice tunes as well. If you have any questions, Id be glad to answer.

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk

atc500

Reaction score
Thanks For all the reply's I've been busy working but now winters almost over the fun can start I've already got the 6.4 banjo bolts and Spring just haven't install them yet i was waiting for my gauges so i could see the psi difference in fuel i decided to go with Glowshift i know they aren't the greatest money isn't tight but i wanna make this as cheap as possible i know its about 50/50 with these gauges being good but $230 shipped for egt,boost,trans and fuel pressure with a pillar i couldn't resist. my dad has a set of autometer in his 04 so maybe i should start a new thread on my build and add the comparison of the 2 Brands of gauges and readings on both?

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
I would not start a gauge thread. Gs are junk but budget friendly. Autometer & isspro you will see thrown around a lot. We use isspro in our personal trucks. Plus they match the cluster well

04stroker

Reaction score
I've had wayyyy to many problems with the GS. I refuse to sale them anymore because they were so bad. Like everyone else said keep a 30% nozzle if you want it row friendly. 175/30 work great especially with a stage 2 type turbo.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
I hear that a lot about GS gauges, but I've had great luck with mine. I have FP and Boost. Keep saying I'll replace them when they go bad, but they just continue to perform. I did burn my FP gauge when I sent 12 V on the ground.y fault though, so I replaced it with another GS.

Sent while driving, drinking coffee and threatening to kill people in traffic.

Rob D

Reaction score
With upgraded injectors you should do a full RR fuel system and pump. Seeing as how you said you are doing head studs it would make most sense to do the fuel system at the same time as it is much easier to get to the back of heads with cab off. Should also upgrade the up-pipes at the same time. Save you on labor later.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
With upgraded injectors you should do a full RR fuel system and pump. Seeing as how you said you are doing head studs it would make most sense to do the fuel system at the same time as it is much easier to get to the back of heads with cab off. Should also upgrade the up-pipes at the same time. Save you on labor later.

I agree that a regulated return would be a great addition and it's a lot easier with the cab off. I think the stock pump with a sump and either a 6.4l lift pump and an AD150 would be smart too. I'm gonna add a 6.4l lift pump to mine as I already have the sump. I like the idea of OEM units as opposed to aftermarket when it comes to fuel pumps for the simple fact that there have been so many aftermarket fuel pump failures in the diesel world. JMHO though. If you go bigger that 190/50<, I would recommend an A1000 pump in place of the HFCM.

Sent while driving, drinking coffee and threatening to kill people in traffic.

atc500

Reaction score
Mwilbur516 What temps do your gauges run at I've only got about 50 miles on mine so far and my egts are 300 at idle and about 600 cruising at 70 the trans iabout 140 cruising and my Fuel pressure is about 59 at idle and will drop to about 52 WOT this is with the SCT on the performance canned tune....Haven't had a chance to compare with my dads autometers yet i just wanna see if that sounds about right

Rob D

Reaction score
Those are healthy numbers, doesn't sound like you got her quite up to normal operating temp though - trans usually runs closer to 160. You should only have to watch EGTs at WOT if you are stock just running a tune. If you upgrade turbo and injectors then monitoring the EGTs in normal daily driving conditions will be more important.

Latest posts

Members online