Throttle Valve delete

Reaction score
I would like to cover a free 6.7 mod that none are currently talking about... the throttle valve "throttle body"
Lets cover the first rule of compresion ignition, its metered by fuel...not air... the more air "for the most part" the better... getting rid of air restrictions makes for great free mods

If you follow the cold air charge pipe up you will find where it connects to the throttle valve body... taking a few clamps off and a keep ring, be careful with the ring it can bend and it won't wana hold the pipe to the throttle body...
Next remove the 4 bolts around the throttle body "be careful with the metel gasket" and disconnect the tps sensor plug...
There are 2 screws holding the throttle plate to the shaft...remove them and slide the plate out from the shaft...

if you look inside the giant cast intake thing "lol" you will see a huge bend right behind the throttle body...this bend causes air too deflect over the top of the throttle valve when it is open...
I have seen a slight increase in throttle response, mpg and a noticeable bump in hp in the upper rpms...

I have not done this mod on a stock truck yet "it very well could cause a issue with factory tuning"
Quite a few lml duramax guys have deleted there throttle valves with similar experiences as mine, its a common mod on the 6.7 cummins as well... as always any mod has the potential to cause issues, but I do not believe the chance of an issue is likely at all with this mod...
Ps. I'm sure there are grammatical errors in this write up, please ignor :) lol

Don

Last edited by a moderator:

H&S Bentley

Reaction score
This begs the question...have you done this mod to a deleted/modded truck and if so, did you throw any codes? Thanks for the info.

An OEM vehicle will undoubtedly have multiple issues if the throttle valve is removed. This modification should only be performed on a vehicle that is running the correct ECM tuning.

Spindrift

Reaction score
I asked because I deleted the throttle body on my '04, 6.0L and the truck threw a cold. In that case, I didn't see any adverse affect on performance.

H&S Bentley

Reaction score
Yes, some of the early 6.0 calibrations would not even throw codes when the valve was unplugged/removed.

Unfortunately those days are gone and we now have some very sensitive diagnostics in our diesel ECMs. I believe if you unplug the throttle valve on the 2011-2014 Ford without proper tuning you will immediately be set into a reduced engine power mode as well as throw messages and Check Engine Lights on the instrument cluster.

Vizsla

Reaction score
I would like to cover a free 6.7 mod that none are currently talking about... the throttle valve "throttle body"
Lets cover the first rule of compresion ignition, its metered by fuel...not air... the more air "for the most part" the better... getting rid of air restrictions makes for great free mods

If you follow the cold air charge pipe up you will find where it connects to the throttle valve body... taking a few clamps off and a keep ring, be careful with the ring it can bend and it won't wana hold the pipe to the throttle body...
Next remove the 4 bolts around the throttle body "be careful with the metel gasket" and disconnect the tps sensor plug...
There are 2 screws holding the throttle plate to the shaft...remove them and slide the plate out from the shaft...

if you look inside the giant cast intake thing "lol" you will see a huge bend right behind the throttle body...this bend causes air too deflect over the top of the throttle valve when it is open...
I have seen a slight increase in throttle response, mpg and a noticeable bump in hp in the upper rpms...

I have not done this mod on a stock truck yet "it very well could cause a issue with factory tuning"
Quite a few lml duramax guys have deleted there throttle valves with similar experiences as mine, its a common mod on the 6.7 cummins as well... as always any mod has the potential to cause issues, but I do not believe the chance of an issue is likely at all with this mod...
Ps. I'm sure there are grammatical errors in this write up, please ignor :) lol

Don

Why do we have to go through this again. Just ban this azzhat, it's just the latest CFD crap. Good knowledgable tuner running multiple single turbo 6.7's., LOL.

sagebel

Reaction score
Yes, some of the early 6.0 calibrations would not even throw codes when the valve was unplugged/removed.

Unfortunately those days are gone and we now have some very sensitive diagnostics in our diesel ECMs. I believe if you unplug the throttle valve on the 2011-2014 Ford without proper tuning you will immediately be set into a reduced engine power mode as well as throw messages and Check Engine Lights on the instrument cluster.

Are custom MCC tunes needed to run this or will off the shelf tunes be enough to avoid throwing codes?

Reaction score
Why do we have to go through this again. Just ban this azzhat, it's just the latest CFD crap. Good knowledgable tuner running multiple single turbo 6.7's., LOL.

Care to enlighten me on how I am in anyway affiliated with cfd?...
I have done this mod to deleted and tuned trucks only so far... however, I have read multiple reports from Ford of the throttle valve sticking closed and no code being thrown, so its up in the air... hopefully ill have a stock regular cab in my possession soon and ill test it

Ragu9000

Reaction score
might have to give this a try. im trying to squeeze on bit of MPGs i can since i put on the 37s :|

Ragu9000

Reaction score
to OP and anyone else. This is what I found when I went in there. This is past the throttle body. Half of the throttle body was caked up like this also. Looking into the manifold was obviously black but not caked on too bad. Cleaned it out with a shop vac and some brake clean.

So I removed the valve, and aired up my tires an extra 5psi. Reset the computer and still says 14.3. truck feels a little better in the pedal.

8lo7.jpg

and Cleaned out

8eq4.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.