tick/knock noise after HG?

da94broncodude

Reaction score
Hey guys, friend is picking up a 2008 6.4 with 80k on it on monday, getting it for a good deal... however the truck has some known issues, pricing out worse case scenario even if he had to pay 8k for new engine installed hes still coming way out ahead. heres where my questions come in, being a 6.0 guy im a newb to the 6.4 but ill shoot.

heres the story with questions.

Truck was pushing coolant when towing P.0. camp trailer truck was taken to local shop who did a head gasket job with head studs, po got truck back with weird knock tick noise, took truck back in, shop filled them with a bunch of bs about bent push rods etc, by this point i believe the previous owner is 9k deep and truck still isnt fixed, i guess hes had it with it and is unloading it as he ordered him a new truck.

the questions.

When we started the truck the knock/tick sounds like its coming from the passenger side and possibly higher in the engine, after it ran for a few seconds and oil pressure built the knock/tick got quieter but was still present, what could be causing this noise? especially if the truck didnt have the noise before HG install? how bad are the valve covers to remove and make sure there isnt something loose in the top end?
truck seems to run and idle smooth with no missfires etc, tried to drive it down the street, runs great and a slow pace try and get on it and it wont get out of its own way, Factory boost gauge was showing 35psi but there was no way it was running 35psi, thinking theres a turbo setup issue to, what to look for on this?

also is an egr delete etc a good idea on these 6.4s as well? it has spartan setup dpf removal and egr deletes/ block off plates.

thanks in advance!

Stroked777

Reaction score
I'm gunna stay either rockers or lifters. Was either one replaced during the stud job?
Rockers can be done cab on, lifters should have been replaced when the head were off, it's cheap insurance to do them when the heads come off

The valve cover on the pass side is easy to remove. Just take out the air box and remove the CCV oil fill canister, when removing becareful of the plastic coolant hose that had a rubber line going to the heater core. If it breaks then it becomes a royal pain the azz to replace, so I heard, I was lucky and didn't break it

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online