Ticking!!

Brad.S.19

Reaction score
Picked my truck up yesterday and on the way home it started to tick after a hard acceleration then when conservative driving and idle to slow start now no tick it only happens between 1400rpm-1700+/- rpm sometimes 2100 under load on a grade and such Put shell station fuel in less of a tick from the rig pump.

Had rotella t-5 oil change day before
I think a garrett upgrade turbo has 1.0 a on the cold side facing hot side
motor craft ais intake
runs really low rpm from when i first test drove it constantly shifts runs 1300-1500 cruise and highway od is 75-80 mph

WTF I am pissed to say the least.

MossBack

Reaction score
start with the simple things FIRST... What grade of T5 did you put in? Online it shows 10-30 and 10-40 neither are the recommended 15-40... So since the injectors fire off the oil that would lead me to believe that is the case.

I have tried t6 5-40; dell 15-40; delvac 15-40 all with the ford 1995 oil filter. And the t6 was the only one my truck absolutely hated. it idled like crap and bad fuel economy. right now I run amsoil 15-40 because it idles better has better MPG's and runs the smoothest.

Brad.S.19

Reaction score
Ok so while I was at the auto store a gentleman said pull the plug by the hpop suck it out add a quart idle 5-10 mins repeat with another quart oil then add on quart lucas oil additive or pro long so in total 3 quarts total if not helping run codes possibly a bad injector or ipr/hpop combo including lines. he also added try putting motorcraft fuel additives for a little but did say stay away from dealer ships go to a local diesel repair shop or injection place.

He did mention he repaired many international school busses with the 7.3 any issues with this advice.

I got 15w-40 rotella t-5 same as the rest and need to get a filter motorcraft better or is there a comparable maker.

Last edited:

Brad.S.19

Reaction score
I got 10w-30 and no idea what is in the engine now I thought it was written on the change sticker n nope!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also the center alignment of the steering wheel is about as straight as Morrissey at a farmers market with a Sasquatch. I am about ready to drive to NH and kick the tech in the teeth he didn't even fully tighten the oil filter it started to leak had to re tighten it on the side of the highway today, in 250 miles I would not expect half a tank gone and these issues.

Brad.S.19

Reaction score
Bent pushrod

What oil filter?

live life full throttle

Motorcraft and it is only at load as said above but getting a little higher RPM now 2100-2400ish and its losing power at 2300ish falling flat a lurch forward almost and it is pissing me off. going to try what the guy said maybe or bring it to a local Powerstroke/durmax shop see what they say. and if it is a push rod would it sound at idle?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Motorcraft and it is only at load as said above but getting a little higher RPM now 2100-2400ish and its losing power at 2300ish falling flat a lurch forward almost and it is pissing me off. going to try what the guy said maybe or bring it to a local Powerstroke/durmax shop see what they say. and if it is a push rod would it sound at idle?

Please for the love of god dont *** with the hpop oil!

live life full throttle

02BigD

Reaction score
I'll be honest with you, I can think of a whole bunch of things that sound could be. But if it were me, I'd start by getting that oil out of there and getting something proper in there.

Brad.S.19

Reaction score
I guess 1.Proper oil change and 2. the guy lied to my face so I say force him to foot the bill to build the motor if any damage is done. :joy:
Literally the oil looks fine and all but I do not trust any stealerships were it is summer coming I am thinking __w-40 without knowing what is in it. I am thinking 5 gal bucket of 15w-40 tripple protection rotella? What is the capacity of oil I was told 15qts.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I know I sure wouldnt be drivin that mofo! I agree with 02bigd start with an oil change of 15-40 diesel oil. At this point any 15-40 diesel oil is better then whatever you possibly could have in there now.. but personally I would run cheveron delo 15-40... with a couple pints of Schaeffers moly ep. But for now just get the oil changed.. and stop driving it till then!!

live life full throttle

TyCorr

Reaction score
Bs Jake. Your solution for everything is wot runs LOL

I couldn't hear the "noise" on my phone...

ToMang07

Reaction score
Ok so while I was at the auto store a gentleman said pull the plug by the hpop suck it out add a quart idle 5-10 mins repeat with another quart oil

NO! That chit is a waste of time, a myth.

then add on quart lucas oil additive or pro long so in total 3 quarts total

NO! NO! NO! Do not add additives like lucas because it can mess with the oil-fired injectors as well as the HPO system. (Foaming oil, too thick, too thin, etc.)

if not helping run codes possibly a bad injector or ipr/hpop combo including lines.

Where are you located again? I have AE and can help you scan it/run diagnostics if you're not too far.

he also added try putting motorcraft fuel additives for a little but did say stay away from dealer ships go to a local diesel repair shop or injection place.

I agree with this. Dealerships like the "replace it and see if it fixes it" method. It's expensive and wasteful.

He did mention he repaired many international school busses with the 7.3 any issues with this advice.

And I'm the Duke of Earl.

I got 15w-40 rotella t-5 same as the rest and need to get a filter motorcraft better or is there a comparable maker.

For right now I'd run the basic FL1995 filter.

Brad.S.19

Reaction score

I just found those on youtube but it has gotten quieter it is taking longer to crank when warm. The tick is only when I have my foot on the throttle with load applied I can start rev and hold it to 1800 rpm with nothing that is noticeable I have Isolated it to driver side bank of cylinders with assistance.

Brad.S.19

Reaction score

NO! NO! NO! Do not add additives like lucas because it can mess with the oil-fired injectors as well as the HPO system. (Foaming oil, too thick, too thin, etc.)

Where are you located again? I have AE and can help you scan it/run diagnostics if you're not too far.

I agree with this. Dealerships like the "replace it and see if it fixes it" method. It's expensive and wasteful.

The good side of Westbrook.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score

Hold it till ya find it!!

Holy crap, you cought way more then I did! Musta skipped over half the chit.. Good advice right there^^^^^!!!

live life full throttle

ToMang07

Reaction score
Hold it till ya find it!!

Holy crap, you cought way more then I did! Musta skipped over half the chit.. Good advice right there^^^^^!!!

live life full throttle

Every once in a while I actually read the whole thread.....it happens! LOL

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.