Top end tear down

lzam6285

Reaction score
Day 1. Well I'm finally starting my project, injectors/155's, studs, and gaskets. Anybody know about the oil rail cups? Should I replace them while I'm in there or is it a waste of money? I'm definitely doing the STC, IPR screen and stand pipes. I'm not having any issues with the head gaskets, it's just preventative and I figured I would do all the upgrades while I was there as well but at $40 bucks a pop for the cups and $60 for the cup tool. If I don't have to do them I rather spend the money els ware. Anyway if you guy think of anything I should be looking out for let me know, please.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 120

ghohouston

Reaction score
Ive been working on powerstrokes for the last 4 years or so, and have never heard of an oil rail cup, care to elaborate? Do you mean injector cups? If so, theres no sense in replacing them if theyre not bad. Id also rebuild/ install a new oil cooler while youre in there. And if your head gaskets arent blown, why replace them?

lzam6285

Reaction score
I did mean injector cup thanks. I figured the head gaskets would eventually go since they are prone to and with the bigger injectors I figured it would be sooner rather than later.

ghohouston

Reaction score
They dont just "go bad" stud it one at a time and leave your good, sened head gaskets. And seriously, dont replace injector cups if youre not getting fuel in your coolant

lzam6285

Reaction score
I do plan in doing the EGR delete and oil cooler, thanks TheReelMuhkoy.

ghohuston, I don't plan on spending any more money than I have to. I just figured since I was doing the studs I would just do the gaskets at the same time. I know its not the last time I'll be under the hood but I'd rally upset if I had to get back under there in a month or two and tare all this stuff out again just to do head gaskets.

When I was taking everything apart I found a crack in the MAP sensor hose. Will this cause any problems/ symptoms that would cause me to think I need new injectors?

Cold Roller

Reaction score
been working on powerstrokes for the last 4 years or so, and have never heard of an oil rail cup, care to elaborate? Do you mean injector cups?

Cup nipples and seals. Starting to show up as HPO issues. Never used to be user or dealer servieable. If they start failing, they can also take out the injector top-side/rail seal. There is even a video or 2 of them failing and replacing them.

Don't replace injector cups unless you have a leak or unresolved seal issue.

MAP hose would have shown up as low boost, hissing and perhaps smoke and higher EGT, if it was severe.

Last edited:

ghohouston

Reaction score
I do plan in doing the EGR delete and oil cooler, thanks TheReelMuhkoy.

ghohuston, I don't plan on spending any more money than I have to. I just figured since I was doing the studs I would just do the gaskets at the same time. I know its not the last time I'll be under the hood but I'd rally upset if I had to get back under there in a month or two and tare all this stuff out again just to do head gaskets.

When I was taking everything apart I found a crack in the MAP sensor hose. Will this cause any problems/ symptoms that would cause me to think I need new injectors?

If youre not puking coolant, or burning it, leave them. The map sensor line can cause low boost

Derkperk

Reaction score
If you are going to pull the heads to change the gaskets, you might as well have them decked to be sure they are flat. A lot of them weren't flat in the factory.

lzam6285

Reaction score
Day 2. I didn't get a hole lot done. Removed air filter, intercooler piping, A/C evap, altanator. Evap was a little tricky. I'm working on this for about three to four hours a day in the morning and then going to work. I'll have a full day tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get those injectors out. I have to ship them to Full Force before I can get my new ones. I'm sure ill be pretty well versed in dieseleese buy the time I'm done and pick up a couple new tools along the way.

swinky

Reaction score
If you are going to pull the heads to change the gaskets, you might as well have them decked to be sure they are flat. A lot of them weren't flat in the factory.

X2 studs doesn't cure a jacked up head, if you're planning on keeping it for a while I'd have the heads gone thru.

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
Just an FYI you do not need to remove evaporator or housing to change injectors.

I guess it would make it a pantload easier but it is a lot of extra work.

06-sixoh

Reaction score
Ive got a thread a few posts down, and I have listed quite a few things that I am replacing when I go through my motor in six weeks. Compare your list to mine, and see if I missed anything. Our posts are quite similar!

lzam6285

Reaction score
How dose this look. Dose anyone think these head gaskets are good.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 95
Last edited:

lzam6285

Reaction score
Injectors are out and on there way to Full Force. Heads will be sent out this week I just have to get the other one off. I just realized yesterday that there is a projects forum, so please accept my apologies for starting this here. Not sure if I should move it since no one said a thing about it though.

O2ShootTheJ

Reaction score
Gaskets look okay to me. And this thread belongs here not project forum. That forum is more for custom modifications and one off builds

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.