torque converter question

brian89

Reaction score
Buying a tc and trying to figure out what all the claims are, high stall? 4 or 6 stud? Hand welded fins? Number of fins?

Reaction score
I think what he's asking is what stall he needs and if he has 4 or 6 studs or which is better? For the other one I think he wants to know if it's better if it's hand welded? The last part I don't know.

brian89

Reaction score
Sorry ha, what is a high stall and why would i need it? what exactly is the stall? Is a 4 or a 6 stud better? Is the number of fins really an issue? and is a greater or lesser number better? For a daily driven truck that rarely tows what would i be looking for that is best and I'm not paying for something that is more that what i need

chappy

Reaction score
Your truck is a 6 stud so a 4 stud won't work. stall depends on mods or preferance. with just a tuner then I would say around the stock stall would probably be best. With stage 1's and a chip on my 99 I went to a lower then stock stall and hated it. I wished I would have went with stock but the guy was sure I needed a lower stall with a stock turbo.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
Stall speed is the maximum engine speed at full power with the truck not moving. If you try this on your truck, I'm not responsible if you break it!

With the brake pedal pushed as hard as you can, trans in drive, mash the go pedal to the floor. The maximum engine speed is the stall speed for that torque converter. If you do this for more than 5 seconds I can promise you it will get expen$ive really fast.

In many people's opinion, including mine, the factory diesel torque converters have too high of a stall speed. Stall speed ideally should be close to the RPM where the engine makes peak torque. The 7.3L makes peak torque at 1600 RPM, but the converter stalls around 2000-2100 RPM. Why did Ford do that? When upper management drove the early prototypes they liked the way a higher stall speed drove. It doesn't make sense to me, don't try to understand it yourself, we're professionals! :clapping:

Lower stall will also produce better fuel economy. The converter has less slip whenever it's unlocked (except when stopped, where it's the same) so there is less heat generated in the torque converter, and the engine runs slower. Both use less fuel.

Last edited:

sly1types

Reaction score
the higher stall speeds help spool the turbo when you are just driving around b/c like Mark said it lets the engine spin up to that RPM easier.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Stall speed is the maximum engine speed at full power with the truck not moving. If you try this on your truck, I'm not responsible if you break it!

With the brake pedal pushed as hard as you can, trans in drive, mash the go pedal to the floor. The maximum engine speed is the stall speed for that torque converter. If you do this for more than 5 seconds I can promise you it will get expen$ive really fast.

Well if it's in 2x4 it's just going to roast the rear tires, and if it's in 4x4 it will usually just over-ride my brakes... :toast:

Reaction score
Precision industries I have one and love it ! Its a 1600 rpm stall but I like how it drives when I leave a stop light I barely get into it to keep up with traffic .. just my opinion

brian89

Reaction score
why would anybody want a high stall then? other than for drag racing and why did chappy hate the low stall?

TyCorr

Reaction score
Mark your posts/posting style are always helpful and I just wanted to thank you for.sticking around to help.

chappy

Reaction score
I will answer. With my truck lifted on 36's it was to laggy to light the turbo. If it was regeared for the 36's then I might have liked the lower stall. It was just harder to get the turbo lit.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Hmm , I wonder what my stall speed is ??? Or if its the PCS that doesnt lock it up until the set MPH.

I can hold my truck at 2800rpm at 30psi of boost and then launch....

Latest posts

Members online