Towing compound setup

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
Looking for input on turbo sizing for a good solid towing setup and also injector sizing. I'm currently running 190/75's. Thinking a 362fmw or 363 paired with something like a 468fmw possibly. Lets hear some ideas

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
was debating 362/68 and an s468 due to towing in the mountains.... just wondering how the s475 would do with staying lit at altitiude

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
68 is too small as an atmosphere.. The 62mm is the only thing you have to worry about getting lit, once it's going it will spool the 75 with ease

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
I really enjoy my set up. It's pretty similar to what people are recomending.

How heavy do you tow with your setup? I'd like to be able to say I wont need this pickup for towing but that would be silly, its a dually haha so it will still get used as a farm truck/tow rig as needed.

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
how did it handle it with the egt's and everything? our empty stock trailer weighs 7100lbs

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
what sizes would you shoot for nathannial? a 71 would still be plenty of air up top, only aiming for 650-700 on the big tune. 62/68 with a .83 divided housing should be pretty easy to light i would think

TBagAMouseTrap

Reaction score
Egt's stayed within 800-1100 at 2200ft above sea level. There is a exhaust leak between the 62 and 74 so I'm hoping that Egt's will drop some when I take care of it. I have an small open t3 on my high pressure and I believe there was another member running an open t3 on theirs with good results. The 190s run out of fuel up top, but makes 2-5psi cruising at 65mph unloaded.

NathannialD

Reaction score
Egt's stayed within 800-1100 at 2200ft above sea level. There is a exhaust leak between the 62 and 74 so I'm hoping that Egt's will drop some when I take care of it. I have an small open t3 on my high pressure and I believe there was another member running an open t3 on theirs with good results. The 190s run out of fuel up top, but makes 2-5psi cruising at 65mph unloaded.

I may be way off here but doesn't sound like an awesome towing setup. Pretty warm for a tiny load at very low elevation.

Turbo choices/sizing really depend on what brand you are wanting to run. For a good non vgt high pressure you need something small on a 6.0 since they hate low rpm. I hate running high rpm just cruising just to keep the turbo lit.

TBagAMouseTrap

Reaction score
I may be way off here but doesn't sound like an awesome towing setup. Pretty warm for a tiny load at very low elevation.

Turbo choices/sizing really depend on what brand you are wanting to run. For a good non vgt high pressure you need something small on a 6.0 since they hate low rpm. I hate running high rpm just cruising just to keep the turbo lit.

Your probably right. I'm not a towing, turbo, or power stroke expert. Just giving the guy something to reference. I was suggesting in not so many words, looking into the smaller t3 housings and turbines matched with a smaller atmo since my 190s run out of fuel up top with a 74. Not sure the 650-700hp is achievable with 190s either.

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
Does anyone think that 190/75's would be big enough for a set of compounds?

I dont see why not, I'm sending my injectors in to be checked over anyways so I could always have rykan bump them up if i decide to go that route

03cody

Reaction score
Yea, I guess your right. I guess I was just under the impression that 190's wouldn't fuel a 400 frame charger to its potential.

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
Yea, I guess your right. I guess I was just under the impression that 190's wouldn't fuel a 400 frame charger to its potential.

Not to its potential, but they would still make good power and it should be enough fuel to spool a small compound setup.

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
Not to its potential, but they would still make good power and it should be enough fuel to spool a small compound setup.

which is exactly what im after, clean and cool and almost any altitude but still enough power for some fun

Countryboy07

Reaction score
I know its a different platform, but on a friends cummins we ran a 60mm with a tight exhaust housing and a S471 and it towed awesome! Never had a problem lighting the turbos and EGT's were always within a safe limit.

scorpion67

Reaction score
Your probably right. I'm not a towing, turbo, or power stroke expert. Just giving the guy something to reference. I was suggesting in not so many words, looking into the smaller t3 housings and turbines matched with a smaller atmo since my 190s run out of fuel up top with a 74. Not sure the 650-700hp is achievable with 190s either.

Have you dyno'd your setup? What max hp with 190/75s or even 100s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.