Traction Bars

little luke

Reaction score
I've actually made a simple jig to test the lengths of the bars before hand. I'll post a picture with the wife's i pad when i get back to the shop.

Not sure how far your fabrication skills go or how involved you like to get, but you could always build a set of ladder bars and not have to worry about finding the perfect length. Two bushings on the axle side, Johny joint on the frame side, then a shackle with another bushing to attach the bars to the frame. This is the route im going on my trucks when I get bored.

sootie

Reaction score
I've actually made a simple jig to test the lengths of the bars before hand. I'll post a picture with the wife's i pad when i get back to the shop.

Not sure how far your fabrication skills go or how involved you like to get, but you could always build a set of ladder bars and not have to worry about finding the perfect length. Two bushings on the axle side, Johny joint on the frame side, then a shackle with another bushing to attach the bars to the frame. This is the route im going on my trucks when I get bored.

that works, but is not as effective on trucks making a decent amount of power...

sootie

Reaction score
I can see that. Care to give alittle more details. I noticed you just sold a set like this and Ive never driven a truck with that kind of setup.

basically, the two points on the axle end, make it so the axle cannot pivot up or down thus reducing axle wrap quite a bit. the shackle allows the suspension to cycle in the parobolic curve that it does, without binding. In theory, it works well. It worked on my six four when it was a tune only truck and i towed a lot. I had to switch to a solid bar when i was making a lot more power than that. Without bars, the torque twist usually causes the pinion to twist up towards the bed. The shackle type bars eliminate that BUT that same energy gets translated to pushing the axle ahead on one side and back on the other causing almost a crabwalk environment when under heavy load. Yes, my ride took a hit when i went to solid bars-not so much with the shackle type. Does that make it a bit more clear?

Latest posts

Members online