Trailer Brake Issue on 01

dustinz85

Reaction score
I hooked up to our trailer tonight and the trailer brakes were locked up. So I unplugged the trailer and got the multimeter out and started checking the pins on the plug. With the key on there is 12v to the brake pin, regardless of where the brake controller is set at. So i unplugged the controller under the dash, with the key still on I still have 12v on the brake pin.

I turned the key off, no power at the brakes and still have the battery charger pin having power. The rest of the pins have normal power when they should. Is there an issue under the dash that I should look at since the issue only occurs when the key is on?

I recently put a new 7 pin plug on the truck, I checked the wires and nothing is touching, and according to the wiring diagram everything is where it should be. Anyone every experience this before or have any idea where to start looking other than the plug? Thanks in advance guys.

dustinz85

Reaction score
Shouldn't there be no power at all to the brake pin if the controller is unplugged?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

JLDickmon

Reaction score
Yeah, there shouldn't be any power to that pin with the controller unplugged.. multi-function switch shorted to power is about all I can think of quickly..

pull the cowling off the column and unplug the harness from the back of the turn signal switch and see if you have it then..

if you still do, then you're gonna chase that brake wire end to end.. it's shorted to power somewhere..

dustinz85

Reaction score
Fuqq.. lol Ok thanks thou! Is there a central location the turn signal and trailer brake harness run to before it heads to the back of the truck?

mustube

Reaction score
There's some relays under the hood on the drivers side in their own little boxes next to the big fuse box

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

dmd

Reaction score
Make sure there isnt a short in the plug itself. You said that you just replaced it. Take
the wire loose from the plug and check the end from the truck and see if it is still charged.

Arisley

Reaction score
Make sure there isnt a short in the plug itself. You said that you just replaced it. Take
the wire loose from the plug and check the end from the truck and see if it is still charged.

That is exactly where I would check also.

Make sure, with a multimeter, that all the wires are doing what they are supposed to. Double check that they are connected to the correct terminals on the plug.

dustinz85

Reaction score
That is exactly where I would check also.

Make sure, with a multimeter, that all the wires are doing what they are supposed to. Double check that they are connected to the correct terminals on the plug.

Yeah at first I thought I switched the battery pin with the brakes. But the battery pin has power all the time. Is that the correct way it should be?

Arisley

Reaction score
Yes, it has power all the time. In fact, you can use it to open your truck in a pinch. A buddy of mine has a 250. It sat for a while, batts stone cold dead. No key holes in the doors. Rigged up a connector to the ground pin and the battery pin. Attached them to jumper cables to my truck. Click, enough power to pop the door locks.

dustinz85

Reaction score
Yes, it has power all the time. In fact, you can use it to open your truck in a pinch. A buddy of mine has a 250. It sat for a while, batts stone cold dead. No key holes in the doors. Rigged up a connector to the ground pin and the battery pin. Attached them to jumper cables to my truck. Click, enough power to pop the door locks.

That's slick!!

Lang

Reaction score

It's that easy to unlock a 7.3... No wonder they get stolen all the time!

johndeerezach

Reaction score
I've got the complete opposite problem right now I put a new brake controller in my 99 and now don't have power to the plug. I used the same 4 wires that the old one used. I can't figure it out

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

dustinz85

Reaction score
I've got the complete opposite problem right now I put a new brake controller in my 99 and now don't have power to the plug. I used the same 4 wires that the old one used. I can't figure it out

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Check fuses?

Latest posts

Members online