tranny tuning/lock up switch??

justinthomas828

Reaction score
Hey guys..I have an 08 6.4 that's down right now with a cracked piston..when she's back together here in a few weeks I'm wanting to hit a few pulls and the drag strip.yet this yr...I'm running a mini maxx and I got ahold of Mike at KEM..and he's goin to be sending me some tunes once I decide wat I want...my question is do I get my early lock up in my tuning or is there a way to wire up a lock up switch in cab like in a cummins..this is my first ford..I've have 2 cummins trucks in the past and wiring up a lock up switch was easy and I'd rather have it on a switch I can manuelly control rather then in the tuning..I'm thinkin I want at least 3rd if not 2nd gear lock up...truck was stock with deleted 4" ex...after it's back together it'll have the custom tunes..studs..good delipped pistons..airdog n fuel bowl delete. .egr delete with good elbow..no limit intake and cold pipe..5" ex with new 4" dp..72mm billet atomsphere charger..HD valve springs n pushrods..and a DPC converter. ..I think that's it for now..any input on how to wire up a lock up switch or if u have any input on wat settings u have for lock up in tuning wuld be appreciated! !..also if anybody else is pullin workstock around the 6-700 hp park like I'll be and has the best gear to hook in let me know..my truck has 3:73 gears..33" tire..4lo 3rd or 4th? Locked ?unlocked? Thx guys

sootie

Reaction score
contact Matt @ Gearhead for your custom tuning needs. best all around driving characteristics, linear power output, shifting and speed. he can also make you a custom lockup file likely.

Stroked777

Reaction score
Yeah I will second sootie, go with Gearhead tuning. He has awesome customer service (fixed a tune for me at 11pm one night) and has awesome trans files. All his files at wot will lock up the converter on 2nd through 5th gear. And it's smoke free power

I'm around the 500-550 make on hp and most people pull 4lo 3rd or some do 4hi 1st. Can't remember which is best for a sticky track/dry track. One has more wheel speed than the other but forgot

Last edited:

strokethis_06

Reaction score
I am in the process of hooking up a lock switch in my truck now. I used a diagram from another thread. Some say it will limp the trans if you don't trick the tcm. I used this on my 6.0 and it worked flawlessly. I will let you know how it works on my 6.4.
c8df471732245cf92da98698c33248e7.jpg

buck russell

Reaction score
I would say don't run it through the tuning, just run it with a manual switch. There are plenty of guys who run a manual lock up switch and it works very well.

buck russell

Reaction score
my question is do I get my early lock up in my tuning or is there a way to wire up a lock up switch in cab like in a cummins..this is my first ford..I've have 2 cummins trucks in the past and wiring up a lock up switch was easy and I'd rather have it on a switch I can manuelly control rather then in the tuning..I'm thinkin I want at least 3rd if not 2nd gear lock up

Or just have Eric write him an early lockup tune....

Not to be a dick dude, but clearly you didn't read the OP's post. While Eric can write an early lock up tune, it seems that the OP would much prefer a manual switch, similar to what you have. I'm not sure how comfortable Eric would be writing a tune that locked that early...unless he put in the t/h lock out provision. It seems that an early lock switch would be a much simpler solution to his request.

justinthomas828

Reaction score
Hey guys so I talked to Matt today at gearhead earlier. I honestly can't decide who to go through everybody seems to have nothin but good to say about gearhead so I think I'll give them a shot..and I know everybody tunes diff..I like matts idea on doin lock up by throttle %..she's to the floor she's locked...seems to make the most sense and easiest..u culd to it off mph..but u feel like that could be a hassle with pullin..and also I'll only pull in low range...Ull eat tranny parts tryin to pull in hi ..at least from my past experiences..haha...I appreciate the input guys..also..I've heard a manuel lock up will do like a few of u said and cause weird stuff and limp mode n such
.I figure I'll try it in tuning first worst comes to worse I can take it out of the tuning if I dnt like it..both ways have their pros and con's I guess

Mike@MPD

Reaction score
Have it on my truck and it just throws a wrench light but shifts fine. Goes away when it's turned off

buck russell

Reaction score
Have it on my truck and it just throws a wrench light but shifts fine. Goes away when it's turned off

Bingo bango.

Everyone has their own opinions on tunes, tuners, etc. Personally, myself, Mike and Josh all use Eric @ Innovative. I just feel his tuning is better and he's much easier to work with. Not to mention, he's been tuning the 6.4 platform longer than Matt/Gearhead.

Charles W

Reaction score
Torque tech

I just put a torque tech programmer on my truck and the trans lasted 7 days. Anyone else have or hear anything about the torque tech programmer?

Fordtrucks

Reaction score
Gearhead here. Love it! Matt's good about making changes if you desire also. Mine locks in 2nd on out every time. Only down side I can see to the Tuning over a switch is if you happen to lift quick during a pull, the converter may unlock then not re lock if you mash it back down. Ide say try it first tho. I didn't even know a manual lock up was possible but ide love to be able to do that for towing!

Rmartin-97

Reaction score
I'm really dumb on wiring can some one explain. It like talkin to an 8yr old how to hook this up to my upfitter switch in my truck.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Bingo bango.

Everyone has their own opinions on tunes, tuners, etc. Personally, myself, Mike and Josh all use Eric @ Innovative. I just feel his tuning is better and he's much easier to work with. Not to mention, he's been tuning the 6.4 platform longer than Matt/Gearhead.

I think some of these guys were just trying to offer an alternative to wiring into the transmission harness.

There are a couple ways to control lock up, tow haul is one of them, but its not flawless and you have to be limited by the tcm as far as slip percentage making it ok for the converter to lock. I never did wire in a switch and i always battled with unlock/locking of the converter under high load but on a job 1 truck so i dont know.

The other thing about tuning is there isnt much that effects overall performance pulse width, timing, and rail pressure. There is only so much you can do there anyway so to say one tuner is better than the other is preference. I have always felt gearhead offers the best streatability. To each is his own.

strokethis_06

Reaction score
I'm really dumb on wiring can some one explain. It like talkin to an 8yr old how to hook this up to my upfitter switch in my truck.
The upfitter switches supply power. So you will have to use it to close a relay that supplies ground when closed.

Latest posts

Members online