Trans building.. what all is necessary

da94broncodude

Reaction score
Trying to get ahead of the game a little bit, im getting another trans that i want to build while i still be kinda nice to my stocker.

My question is what all needs to go into a 5r110 that will hold 650hp or so, i plan on that being the cap as that seems to be the number that the rods are reliable to.

Plan was originally

Billet triple lock converter (should i stay stock stall or is there a better stall?)
Raybestos clutches
shift kit
modded direct solenoid
Deep pan

would this be enough to hold that HP level and use it? meaning towing, daily driving, occasional track usage with 4wd launching? Are billet shafts (input, intermediate, output) necessary at this level?

slc dzl

Reaction score
Elite rebuild kit, billet input, billet intermediate, modded dd, stock pan and 1800 stall rcd or dpc converter.

04stroker

Reaction score
We usually use a Precision converter, rebuild kit with Raybestos clutches, billet input, and al,so a few pump upgrades with the transgo shift kit. Has always worked great. I would not do a deeper pan as Mark said nothing to gain from it.

Zmann

Reaction score
Joey i would think about the 08++ pan and filter

and I prefer having more fluid (not debating )7 more qts in this case so I went with a deep pan with the 08++ filter since your existing pan wont fit and you would need to replace it anyway if you choose the better filtration of the new style filter

Last edited:

dieseljosh07

Reaction score
You may want to add a billet low/reverse hub also. Also be sure what ever clutch kit you get has ALL the clutch packs. A lot of kits don't include to low/reverse clutch packs. If you don't replace the fluid pump I would suggest a Sonnax kit. We always replace the EPC solenoid along with the direct solenoid also.

da94broncodude

Reaction score
seems the general opinion on main parts is the same, so i know where to go there, just wondering on the shafts now which if any are really necessary..

HobbyStock62

Reaction score
Honestly I'm just going to do billet input. I have heard that billet parts are necessary, and I have heard that they are just added cost. I suppose it depends on how you drive it.

sootie

Reaction score
on a 6oh a billit input should get you by.

on the 6fours that make big torque-that's where the rest of the billet parts come into play.

Latest posts

Members online