trans Problem

travisH3

Reaction score
went on a 4 hour highway ride yesterday and got back and seen there was fluid sprayed under the truck. well got under and did some inspection and it cam out of the breater hose on top of the transmission.

2010 6.4. H&S deleted since 10k miles. has 48k miles on it now. trans never got above 178 degrees the whole way. fluid was drained, new filter, and fresh fluid at 30k.

Anyone got an idea of whats happening?

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
The only time I've seen fluid come out of the breather is when the transmission was overfilled. Sometimes it can run a long time before the overfill becomes a problem.

Where is the fluid level now?

webb06

Reaction score
The breather hose on top isn't even hooked to he tranny. It goes to the transfer case. There is a fitting in top though that allows fluid to come out if say it overheated. Maybe that's where it's coming from?

travisH3

Reaction score
i tried to fix the post, i meant to just say breather on top, not hose.. its definitely red trans fluid. trucks been parked ever since. Ill check trans fluid tomorrow and post back.

BTW, i havent added any fluid for 18k miles and just seems weird for it to happen now. thanks everyone for the help

B585Ford

Reaction score
i tried to fix the post, i meant to just say breather on top, not hose.. its definitely red trans fluid. trucks been parked ever since. Ill check trans fluid tomorrow and post back.

BTW, i havent added any fluid for 18k miles and just seems weird for it to happen now. thanks everyone for the help

Was that the most miles you have put on it since it was filled?

travisH3

Reaction score
Was that the most miles you have put on it since it was filled?

no, just did the same trip in august doing 80-85mph.

Started the truck up and let it high idle warm up for 10 minutes or so just to try to get the trans warmed up. headed out for dinner. did about 5 miles of 40mph then got on the highway and did 65mph for 1 exit and got off to eat. hopped out and fluid was sprayed around again. checked trans fluid when i got there. it was at 140 degrees and the fluid was on the lower end of the hot hash marks on the dip stick.

travisH3

Reaction score
my buddy use to work for ford and now works for a local diesel performance shop. said he texted one of the engineers and asked about it. he said trans needs a new pump and converter. something about the thermal valve sticking???? IDK

B585Ford

Reaction score
no, just did the same trip in august doing 80-85mph.

Started the truck up and let it high idle warm up for 10 minutes or so just to try to get the trans warmed up. headed out for dinner. did about 5 miles of 40mph then got on the highway and did 65mph for 1 exit and got off to eat. hopped out and fluid was sprayed around again. checked trans fluid when i got there. it was at 140 degrees and the fluid was on the lower end of the hot hash marks on the dip stick.

By no means am I an expert on anything (especially including auto trannies) but that definitely sounds like a bigger issue than a simple overfill.

travisH3

Reaction score
By no means am I an expert on anything (especially including auto trannies) but that definitely sounds like a bigger issue than a simple overfill.

im figuring the same thing because why would over a year later(18k miles) would it all the sudden have an issue now being over full. i guess its time to bite the bullet. truck is under warranty still and my dealer takes care of me but no repairs ive had done have been motor/trans related. So im not sure what they would say, also Im not sure i want a reman transmission.

B585Ford

Reaction score
im figuring the same thing because why would over a year later(18k miles) would it all the sudden have an issue now being over full. i guess its time to bite the bullet. truck is under warranty still and my dealer takes care of me but no repairs ive had done have been motor/trans related. So im not sure what they would say, also Im not sure i want a reman transmission.

Good luck

travisH3

Reaction score
Good luck

Im gonna start pricing out built trans monday I guess. Not sure how much longer im gonna have the truck so i dont know how far ill take it. If I knew id keep it I would just buy a better trans. If I planned to sell id try warranty but who knows. Guess I will have to start driving one of the stock 6.7's now and park the ol' race truck lol. it sure made getting to job sites more fun hahaha

sootie

Reaction score
Hit up Morgan @ Midwest Diesel for a built trans...217-691-1909

Craig@MFI

Reaction score
Im gonna start pricing out built trans monday I guess. Not sure how much longer im gonna have the truck so i dont know how far ill take it. If I knew id keep it I would just buy a better trans. If I planned to sell id try warranty but who knows. Guess I will have to start driving one of the stock 6.7's now and park the ol' race truck lol. it sure made getting to job sites more fun hahaha
Let us know if we can help you with a built trans we offer many levels!

travisH3

Reaction score
I will be shopping this week! We just had a snow storm come through and we got behind being a truck down! the 6.7's dont plow as fast as the 6.4!!!!! hahahahahha

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.