Trans question...

FORD-DNA

Reaction score
What's up PSA???? Long time reader, first post.. I do most of my posting on FTE but I tuned & deleted a month ago and PSA has the best info on Aftermarket so here I am!

So I am running a custom tune and when I get on the throttle around 1/2-3/4 I get a loud howling noise under the truck right before the truck shifts from 4-5. As soon as the shift completes the howl stops...I'm only running a 500hp street tune.

So, I called the guys who wrote the tune and they said it's fairly common and it has to do with the trans clutches and the overdrive gears. They said one of their race trucks does it every run. I don't ever remember hearing this before I tuned the truck. Everything I have read has usually been how solid the trans is..

So.... Does anyone have any experience with this loud howling noise???? Is it normal?? Is it a bad tune??

Thanks in advance!

FORD-DNA

Reaction score
Bump!

Anyone have any insight?

The shift from 4-5 is a quick firm clean shift accompanied by a howl.

I'm stumped and I'm hoping someone has some sort ideas or thoughts for me.

Atsah

Reaction score
First thing I would do is put it back to stock to see is it does it..

FORD-DNA

Reaction score
Are you saying just turning the mini maxx to stock??? Or are you recommending putting the stock exhaust and EGR back in????

Atsah

Reaction score
Are you saying just turning the mini maxx to stock??? Or are you recommending putting the stock exhaust and EGR back in????

LOL

Program the truck back to stock to see if the trans still has the howl.. If it deosn't then I guess you have to decide whether or not you want to put up with the howl or try some other tuning..

FORD-DNA

Reaction score
LOL

Program the truck back to stock to see if the trans still has the howl.. If it deosn't then I guess you have to decide whether or not you want to put up with the howl or try some other tuning..

That's a start... I sure as hell ain't going back with the stock exhaust and EGR.

With the lack of response I'm getting it seems like this isn't all that common of a noise.

What's bugging me is the guys I got the tune from say its common and don't be too concerned.

I will try the stock setting in a hour or so.

Thanks for your reply.

Atsah

Reaction score
That's a start... I sure as hell ain't going back with the stock exhaust and EGR.

With the lack of response I'm getting it seems like this isn't all that common of a noise.

What's bugging me is the guys I got the tune from say its common and don't be too concerned.

I will try the stock setting in a hour or so.

Thanks for your reply.

I can't be much help to you as I don't know much about the 6.7 but trying your stock tune is an easy way to make sure the tune is the issue..

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
My buddy put a rudys trans in in a customers truck that did that except it was like a ratcheting noise. It lasted a couple weeks and died. Rudys told him its because he was running gearhead trans tunes???? He just pulled it and the tabs in the torque converter that go into the pump are rounded off.

FORD-DNA

Reaction score
I hate to talk bad about them, but it was SPE.

I have had a phenomenal time interacting with Amy and Devon. They have answered all my questions and always been there for me if I had any noob Tunes & delete questions.

I first tried there HOTX tunes and wanted something different due to turbo psi being able to quickly hit in the mid 30's. I'm running a stock turbo and I'm hoping to get a few more miles out of it before I go with an aftermarket turbo. So, I then tried there street tunes and this tune has been great other then this howling that I get from 4-5. If it's normal and not harming anything then I'm fine with it. It just doesn't seem normal.

It was alarming that he knew what I was talking about the moment I mentioned it. he made the exact sound effect with his mouth over the phone. He admitted to it being a issue with the 6r140 trans..

I have never heard anyone talk about this.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
My buddy put a rudys trans in in a customers truck that did that except it was like a ratcheting noise. It lasted a couple weeks and died. Rudys told him its because he was running gearhead trans tunes???? He just pulled it and the tabs in the torque converter that go into the pump are rounded off.

gearhead has trans tunes? thats a very strange scenario.

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
gearhead has trans tunes? thats a very strange scenario.

They told him "don't run custom trans tunes, run the stock H&S ones." I can call him tomorrow and find out exactly what's up tomorrow because I gather from that that geahead doesn't do trans tunes?

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
They told him "don't run custom trans tunes, run the stock H&S ones." I can call him tomorrow and find out exactly what's up tomorrow because I gather from that that geahead doesn't do trans tunes?

what may have happened is he loaded mcc tunes and never loaded any trans tune ... but i highly doubt rudys said gearhead trans tunes caused it, especially a mechanical failure of such.

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
what may have happened is he loaded mcc tunes and never loaded any trans tune ... but i highly doubt rudys said gearhead trans tunes caused it, especially a mechanical failure of such.

Interesting! Ill find out for sure tomorrow or thursday night when I see him.

dseitler

Reaction score
My truck makes the noise also. If I run the HotX Trans it will make the noise when it shifts when you get after it. If you ever had a early Superduty you will know the sound. I have been running this tune and racing 2 weekend a month with 27000 miles on it. No problems. Clutch piston and torque converter when it starts to load the next gear. If you ever had a John Deere Powershift 8 speed Trans same noise. I'm not going to worry about it at all after seeing the inside of a Trans on our 2011 service truck at work. H&S put almost 900 HP to the same Trans before it slipped and they are still running the same truck everyday without repair. Call them and ask them tomorrow they will tell you the same thing about there truck.

FORD-DNA

Reaction score
My truck makes the noise also. If I run the HotX Trans it will make the noise when it shifts when you get after it. If you ever had a early Superduty you will know the sound. I have been running this tune and racing 2 weekend a month with 27000 miles on it. No problems. Clutch piston and torque converter when it starts to load the next gear. If you ever had a John Deere Powershift 8 speed Trans same noise. I'm not going to worry about it at all after seeing the inside of a Trans on our 2011 service truck at work. H&S put almost 900 HP to the same Trans before it slipped and they are still running the same truck everyday without repair. Call them and ask them tomorrow they will tell you the same thing about there truck.

Good to hear!!! I was hoping someone would know the sound!

Thanks!

Latest posts

Members online