Trans talk...

Skinny

Reaction score
I'm on the fence here I know I'm going to need a transmission soon I know I will be going with nadp but I have an option to run a 4r100 or the 5r100 that's in my truck. I know lots have ran the 5r100 and love it but seeing lots of guys swapping to a 4r100 any input guys? This truck is not a race truck will hit the strip maybe twice a year.

Thanks Matt

Sent from my iPone sitting on the crapper

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
whats a 5r100? LOL

Just kidding! But I say keep the 5R110, people get all thrown out of whack when they see 6.4 guys switching the 4Rs because the 5R cant shift fast enough. Little do they know theres a big difference between the 6.0 and 6.4. The 6.4 uses a standalone TCM to control the trans and a separate ECM for the engine control. The 6.0 uses a combination unit. Any kind of communication that doesn't have to travel is faster, just common knowledge, especially in electronics like this. The 6.4 also makes a hell of a lot more torque down low, also puts a lot more stress on certain parts that have been known to fail in the 6.4 but not the 6.0 (as often)

The 5R in a 6.0 has been known to go over 1000rwhp, everyone knows Ellertons truck, and it speaks for itself. Use the right converter and you will be a happy camper.

Ross@Flyindiesel

Reaction score
honestly for a daily driver id stick with a 5r. if you go to the track alot with it then maybe thats where a 4r comes into play. 4r will be able to handle more longer imo. 5r can handle it but i dont think for near as long as what the 4r will hold. thats just my opinion though

Chris

Reaction score
The more we dial in Stonepushers truck, the more im convinced a 4r is superior to a 5r. The drivability is better, spool is better, less smoke, and it shifts the same everytime.

Took the truck to the track last night. it had rained all day so they had poor prep and would only let us run 1/8 mile due to the shutdown still being damp. But the truck on fuel only went .2 faster in the 1/8 with a little softer 60 foot than it did with the 5r. No nitrous passes yet, going to do some dyno tuning and some more dialing in on the PCS then well get some more track times.

stonepusher

Reaction score
Driving the truck around on the street is a night and day difference. I love it, the turbo spools so much faster, it barely smokes at all, I am gonna try and get ahold of a go pro to take a vid of the tach, speedo, and boost gauge during normal everyday driving.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Is it a fair comparison though? The difference in the converter is the big reason why it drives so much better on the street and smokes less. The 4r will shift the same every time, that is the big upside to the swap, the pcs has far more ability in tuning. But put the right converter in the 5r and I think you would be very happy, but im not here to talk you out of doing a 4r swap, they are pretty damn sweet, i've thought about it myself. Hard to justify the cost.

Chris

Reaction score
the converter does have a lot to do with it, but the trans does as well. There are a few other reasons too but until i have concrete proof, im going to keep them to myself. sometimes changing stall speeds in a 5r can be tricky. But these guys are correct, the 4r swap is not practical to everyone. if youre 500 hp or below the swap would not be the thing to do.

Lets see if anyone catches on to this....the exhaust note changed as well. any guesses?

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
Driving the truck around on the street is a night and day difference. I love it, the turbo spools so much faster, it barely smokes at all, I am gonna try and get ahold of a go pro to take a vid of the tach, speedo, and boost gauge during normal everyday driving.

yes its a night and day difference from your stock 5r. my built 5r is a night and day difference from my stock 5r too. spools better, shifts faster/firmer etc. my point is I don't think its a fair comparison because you're not comparing a built 4r vs built 5r...nomsayin?

that being said...glad its working out. built trannys make a huge difference!

Skinny

Reaction score
the converter does have a lot to do with it, but the trans does as well. There are a few other reasons too but until i have concrete proof, im going to keep them to myself. sometimes changing stall speeds in a 5r can be tricky. But these guys are correct, the 4r swap is not practical to everyone. if youre 500 hp or below the swap would not be the thing to do.

Lets see if anyone catches on to this....the exhaust note changed as well. any guesses?

Im doing compounds on my truck Chris i should be in the low to mid 600s. I talked to you awhile ago about getting my tunes updated to my new set up once i am finished.

stonepusher

Reaction score
yes its a night and day difference from your stock 5r. my built 5r is a night and day difference from my stock 5r too. spools better, shifts faster/firmer etc. my point is I don't think its a fair comparison because you're not comparing a built 4r vs built 5r...nomsayin?

that being said...glad its working out. built trannys make a huge difference!

I hear ya, but I have driven a BTS 5r with the same turbo I have and I have to say the 4r is better. Even guys that I have had drive my truck that either have had built 5rs or currently have built 5rs all said they liked the way the 4r drove over the 5r. Everyone has their preferences and plans, I just wanted to try something different.

stroker57

Reaction score
yes the 4r not for eveyone the 4r is a awesome trans and after driving mine i dont think i would want to go back to a 5r but thats just me. the 4r did help keep the smoke down and stay on top my turbo

Latest posts

Members online