Transmission Buikld Recomendations

Moremph

Reaction score
08 4dr dually with 24' wheels, KEM 345 tunes egr deleted, this is the second truck built identically that slips going into 5th, Last trans had a suncoast kit put in 3 times by a reputable dodge shop in the south.

This one the owner wants a store bought trans that will hold up. and have a warranty that can be easily serviced across the country if need be. Truck spends half the year 7 states away.

Realisticaly the truck is 550-600 hp max and will prolly never go more then a set of tow powers and 60 hp nozzles.

HD Convertor really needed?
Billet input?
billet flex?
billet intermediate?
billet l/r?
etc

what would ya do if its your truck. He is not afraid to spend moeny on NEEDED parts but how many trucks are breaking these hard parts at these power levels?

Thanks Travis

Smokyred

Reaction score
If it were me, I would say you should check out one of our stage 2 transmissions. It has our H/D clutches, and a billet input shaft and a billet low reverse hub. For that kind of power level, you really don't need an H/D converter either.

Let me know if I can help.

https://www.elitedieselengineering.com/product/14810001/EDE-5R110-Transmission-for-64-Powerstroke/

JD, are those prices with a converter? And you think the stage 2 is fine for tow powers and small nozzles?

Dave

Fast-6.0

Reaction score
I would do our Stage 3 trans.

Billet input, Intermediate, O/d Planet, and L/R Hub. I have seen the input and intermediate break in quite a few heavy "tuner only" trucks. If I were building a powerful tow rig, it would get full billet.

Rene G

Reaction score
I second the RCD converter. My truck weighs in around 9600lbs and I've went through 2 aftermarket converters and am now running a RCD and love it so far.

Rene G

Reaction score
I've had two standard Suncoast converters, the first one I sheared an input shaft so it was kaput, the my second one gave up after about 60k mi. After those I was ready to try something different. I will say that I have a heavy truck, running 35" mud tires, so I do have a lot of stress on the drivetrain.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I've had two standard Suncoast converters, the first one I sheared an input shaft so it was kaput, the my second one gave up after about 60k mi. After those I was ready to try something different. I will say that I have a heavy truck, running 35" mud tires, so I do have a lot of stress on the drivetrain.

60k is pretty good to get outta that thing! I would recommend DPC converter personally. Holding very well in my truck at 750 horse and has a couple thousand hard miles on it.

Erikclaw

Reaction score
The regular Suncoast doesn't like power. Mine let go when I broke traction on a dirt road. Have been running the HD model for quite a while now. I am interested in the new stuff DPC is coming out with.

Rene G

Reaction score
When I got my RCD I hadn't heard of DPC yet. I Was good with my 2nd Suncoast lasting 60k, it's just the way it went out that sucked. I'm happy so far with the RCD converter, I really like how much the lower stall, and the five year warranty, can't go wrong.

Latest posts

Members online