Transmission Went Boom!!!

NoSlow6.0

Reaction score
Ok guys I lost my 03 daily driver a few months ago when the engine went out and started driving a 99 we had. Well today I was sitting at a red light, light turned green and was making a left turn to get on the road to my shop. Well after making the turn I made it about 100 ft and was maybe going 25 - 30 under light throttle and the truck felt like something was binding and then BOOM very loud and lost my forward momentum. Truck just acted like it was in neutral but with a little drag on it because when i did shift it up into neutral it did coast more freely. Truck has about 330K on it and I'm pretty sure this was the second trans but it has been a long time since it was put in probably over 100K ago. So what does this sound like. I have been driving a couple of trucks when the trans went out but both times it was just like I steadily started loosing forward momentum until it wouldn't go at all and both times I still had reverse. But this seems to have been something a lot more destructive because of the very loud explosion sound. Any ideas? :shrug:

David N

Reaction score
Sounds like you obviously broke a hard part. I'd guess the OD planetary or the forward drum. Is the truck stock?

NoSlow6.0

Reaction score
Good deal. I'm probably still going to just run it through the local auction because a new trans would be probably twice what this old beater is worth. 330K and uses a gallon of oil a week yea its time for this headache to go away. LOL

Latest posts

Members online