Truck dies when smogging

Rupp250

Reaction score
I live in Ca and this is the first year that I have to smog.

The truck is a 2000, it used to have a Edge juice, I replaced it with tunes from Gearhead. I have the chip off right now to smog.

So I take the truck to my buddy, try to smog and as soon as the computer tries to connect with my truck it dies, just like you turned the key off. His smog machine just plugs into the obdII connector. We tried with it several different ways and it didn't change a thing. Then I connected my Snap On Solus and I can connect and read everything on the truck. It doesn't kill the motor. There are no codes.

I then also tried it at another smog shop a couple doors down and there machine did the same thing.

Any ideals??:shrug:

Tom S

Reaction score
I have seen AE cause the engine to shut off momentarily as well. Only idea I would have is if you could borrow a PCM to swap out for a test.

cowboy_dan

Reaction score
You say you tried 'several ways', care to list them?

My suggestions:
-Hold the engine at about 2k-2500RPM and connect. If it drops power momentarily, it may be able to recover before the engine stops rotating.
-Plug it in, then key on and start the engine. If you don't get the WIF light when you try this, then it won't start because the PCM is not on.
-Turn the key on, then plug in, then start the engine.
-Turn his machine off, plug into the truck, start the engine, then turn the machine on.
-Use a wire to connect the - of your truck battery to the case of the machine's computer. The goal is to make sure you have a good ground between the truck and the computer. If you have a bad ground, it will corrupt communucations and I could see how that might make the PCM quit.

06powerstroke

Reaction score
I live in Ca and this is the first year that I have to smog.

The truck is a 2000, it used to have a Edge juice, I replaced it with tunes from Gearhead. I have the chip off right now to smog.

So I take the truck to my buddy, try to smog and as soon as the computer tries to connect with my truck it dies, just like you turned the key off. His smog machine just plugs into the obdII connector. We tried with it several different ways and it didn't change a thing. Then I connected my Snap On Solus and I can connect and read everything on the truck. It doesn't kill the motor. There are no codes.

I then also tried it at another smog shop a couple doors down and there machine did the same thing.

Any ideals??:shrug:

I thought CA smog was not supposed to plug into your diesel. I know this is exactly what happens if they plug into a 6.0. It stalls because the BAR98 equipment is not CAN compatible. Not sure if the same is true for a 2000 though.

Last edited:

Dave

Reaction score
Their scan tool uses the wrong OBD II protocols.

Rupp250

Reaction score
My suggestions:
-Hold the engine at about 2k-2500RPM and connect. If it drops power momentarily, it may be able to recover before the engine stops rotating.
Will try

-Plug it in, then key on and start the engine. If you don't get the WIF light when you try this, then it won't start because the PCM is not on.
tried

-Turn the key on, then plug in, then start the engine.
tried

-Turn his machine off, plug into the truck, start the engine, then turn the machine on.
will try

-Use a wire to connect the - of your truck battery to the case of the machine's computer. The goal is to make sure you have a good ground between the truck and the computer. If you have a bad ground, it will corrupt communucations and I could see how that might make the PCM quit.[/QUOTE]will try

Latest posts

Members online