Truck randomly dies

Powersmokin32

Reaction score
I am currently working on a friend of mines 2000 F-350 with BTS hpop, H2E, I believe hypermax stage2 injectors, and Cales tuning.

He was taking it to a local shop after the truck just shutdown driving down the hwy. They where convinced it was the hpo system, and either changed a pump or ipr. Got the truck back and again truck dies on the way to his house with no restart. This time they remove the hpo crossover. Why I dont know other than Brian told them to remove it for diagnostics.

So after the local shop giving up and before he trailors this truck up to BTS. I offered to take a quick look at it, and a few other things. So far I have data logged the truck and checked all hpo system and injectors. Nothing seems to be out of the normal. Everything is doing as commanded by the PCM with no hiccups or misses. I have found that the plugs going into the UVCH are loose, and when messing with the plugs while idling I can make the truck die. So I am going to pull the VCs and check the UVCH out, and replace if needed.

Has anyone experienced any similiar problems with a like setup? Just trying to get a few ideas in case I'm overlooking something. (have been known to over look things in the past)

ToMang07

Reaction score
$.50 Mod and CPS.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/951027-50-cent-mod.html

http://www.guzzle7pt3.com/cps.php

Symptoms sound like the CPS, bot for a ~$25 fix, it's worth a try and he should have a spare in the glovebox, anyway. Usually the UVCH causes a rough running engine, or a loss of a bank. But it could still be causing issues, and being it's so cheap to fix, it's good insurance. Be sure to check for burnt pins and button everything down with a torque wrench.

Last edited:

02BigD

Reaction score
When you say that you datalogged....does that mean ICP and IPR duty cycle were fine through all types of driving?

Powersmokin32

Reaction score
Can't believe I didn't think of a CPS, seeing as I just installed one last weekin my personal truck. And I have a CPS I can try.

And yes, I data logged and monitored RPMs, Oil Temp, IPR voltage and duty cycle, ICP, PW, etc. Everything I could possibly think of that is involved with the HPO system and injectors.

So now I'm down to CPS and UVCH. Also, I noted that when checking codes and unplugging injector harness while running (the plugs are that loose). I can't make this truck throw any codes for me. Making it a royal PITA to troubleshoot. And being given limited info this one is kind of a visual inspection until it will quit on me.

ToMang07

Reaction score
Can't believe I didn't think of a CPS, seeing as I just installed one last weekin my personal truck. And I have a CPS I can try.

And yes, I data logged and monitored RPMs, Oil Temp, IPR voltage and duty cycle, ICP, PW, etc. Everything I could possibly think of that is involved with the HPO system and injectors.

So now I'm down to CPS and UVCH. Also, I noted that when checking codes and unplugging injector harness while running (the plugs are that loose). I can't make this truck throw any codes for me. Making it a royal PITA to troubleshoot. And being given limited info this one is kind of a visual inspection until it will quit on me.

What are you using for a scanner?

TARM

Reaction score
Went things get all screwy like this with codes not showing etc I try unplugging the batteries and then hold the pos and neg cable ends to each other for a min. Leave it all unplugged for a while. Then come back hook it all back up. Basically like doing a hard reset. Not sure its what helps or not but have had issues some times disappear from doing it.

moose99psd

Reaction score
check the plug into the cps. i had the wiring chafe and eventually f up the plug on mine. bought a new pigtail from ford and wired it in and it fired right up.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.