Truck struggles towing a 5x8 Enc. Uhaul

buckeye0913

Reaction score
Towards the end of December I had to tow a 5x8 enclosed Uhaul trailer with some boxes to my soon to be ex wife from California to Wisconsin. I wasn't expecting it to be an issue considering the things you guys haul around 5th wheels and horse trailers and big boats. I was kind of worried when every single large hill Id have to go up the truck would bog down like I was towing a small planet behind me. The truck would bog down to about 35mph and Id have to go to the far right lane and watch 150's blow by me with big campers...What could be causing the truck to underperform with such a simple load?

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
It's a 7.3?

Have you hooked it up any type of scan tool devices or know what kind of boost numbers you are running i would start there

buckeye0913

Reaction score
I guess I should mention my upgrades. I have the 38R with a WW. CNC 4 line fuel kit, replaced every gasket, seal and oring, new VC harness and VC gasket, JWVB, all new fluids, new MB diesel HPOP from CNC, PHP hydra and a few other things that I can't remember since it's 3am where Im at right now. I was guessing it wasn't building the proper boost be it from a boost leak which I doubt or because it wasn't adjusted properly when i put it on. I would be able to do fine up hills if right before I start to go up the hill I mash the accelerator down and get the turbo spooling up faster. If I do that I can maintain around 65 all the way up. The truck has around 180k, auto, and there wasn't any smoke while going up hill

sootie

Reaction score
i bet if you ditch the WW, your problems will dissappear...

psduser1

Reaction score
What tune are you towing in? Doesn't sound like near enough fuel. Is your hpop doing what it's supposed to? Not familiar with that particular pump.

buckeye0913

Reaction score
I believe I was in the towing tune. I only have the tunes that come with the PHP I don't have any custom tunes yet. I hooked up my AE to the truck and the hpop numbers look good around town and on the highway. The HPOP was recommended to me along with the 38r and the WW2 by CNC so I trust his judgement. I forgot to mention I also have upgraded CNC HPOP lines, an HPX, ******d pedestal, high flow outlet, 4" mbrp downpipe, BD power up pipes and exhaust stacks

psduser1

Reaction score
Whs^
Might try a performance tune, if you have a way to monitor egts. Stock injectors, you shouldn't run into problems overfuelling. 38r is more than enough turbo to keep up on the air side, even with a ww.

buckeye0913

Reaction score
I'm currently on deployment and plan on ordering the gauge pod with boost, trans temp and egt so when I get home I can install that and take a look into those numbers. Im contemplating ordering the complete irate diesel standard fuel system unless someone has any other suggestions...I was thinking of ordering the driven diesel kit but want to get rid of the fuel bowl so I figure the IDP kit is the best option for me.

buckeye0913

Reaction score
or just drop another couple hundred and get the competition kit seeing as I'll be upgrading injectors in the future. Thoughts? opinions? thanks guys!

kingbilly68

Reaction score
Check your icp sensor. That's how mine ran when it went out. Didn't really notice it until you put ANY loan behind it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

buckeye0913

Reaction score
I'll have to look into that when I get home, might as well order a new one though and if it turns out to be good I can keep it in my toolbox in the bed for a spare

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
i bet if you ditch the WW, your problems will dissappear...
not necessarily. i love the billet wheel that i have in my 38r in the dually.. its the even blade style so that depends on the style and the amount of fuel.. the step bladed wheel addresses the spool issue and not all have issues.. but in this case, if stock injected, might not have enough fuel...

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

buckeye0913

Reaction score
so would the ID competition fuel kit be a good investment? I was wanting to upgrade the fuel system and ****** the bowl anyway so I could kill two birds with one stone? I plan on getting some PIS sticks down the road also

CarportMechanic

Reaction score
I have the regular kit and like it. I also added a stock superduty pump to it in case the walbro dies on me as many say it will.

Only real difference between the 2 kits is the pumps, walbro VS Fuelab. Fuelab will support any injector. Walbro only good up to 250/200's I believe. And then the comp kit has 5/8ths line form the pump to the T in the valley compared to 3/8ths with the regular kit. Both have the 5/8ths pickup tube and line form tank to pump.

If you plan on 250/200 or bigger I suggest going with the comp kit from the beginning. Although if your stock pump is in good shape another pump and the extra 5/8th line really aint that much.

TyCorr

Reaction score
so would the ID competition fuel kit be a good investment? I was wanting to upgrade the fuel system and ****** the bowl anyway so I could kill two birds with one stone? I plan on getting some PIS sticks down the road also

I have it. Its a fuel system. Went in easily. No complaints.

bruce

Reaction score
I wouldn't buy anything until I figured out whats wrong. Low fuel pressure, low ICP, low boost? Whats the commanded PW vs actual PW? Good lord an S-10 can handle a 5 by 8 enclosed. I thought that cnc 4 way thing was supposed to be a nice piece. I'd call the guy that makes it. Sounds fuel related

mandkole

Reaction score
exactly... this thread has been a head scratcher. No evidence of any real trouble shooting. This is basics kinda stuff. My FILs stock OBS would pull a trailer like that around like it wasn't even there.

Latest posts

Members online