True twin turbo suggestions

kdogg85

Reaction score
I am going to try a true twin turbo setup. Please keep the naysaying at bay or at least be decent about it, it's my money and I'll blow it if I want to.

I had new heads made with larger ports, made my own intakes, etc.. To try and help make this work. The headers I am working on are a upswept block hugger style that are swept out to give room for the turbos.

I was thinking start with 62/68/.70 t3, only reason for the small housing is to see where I stand on lighting the chargers , if the t3 lights very early but have to gate hard, I'll step up to .83 t4.

Any tips are welcome, other than saying your an idiot don't do it. Unless it's put nicely. LOL

B.Warning

Reaction score
This idea has been tired and failed several times....big waste of time, and money.

But if you're still convinced, start with a hx 35 or a hy 35 off the 2nd gen cummins trucks, they're dirt cheap (like trade for a case of beer cheap), I believe a 57mm wheel and very small exhaust housing and a t3.

Good luck cuz your gonna need it, or you'll need the beer when you say *** it and go with traditional compounds.

kdogg85

Reaction score
Why would the 362's be too big? Too much weight to try and spin with 4 cylinders?

I've only heard of the example Matt from cutting edge diesel gave a couple years ago when I initially asked about the idea.

windrunner408

Reaction score
More than likely, even if you get a 362 to light, the motor is going to be left of the surge line. Two 362s would be like running an 88 as a single on a 6.0... JMO of course.

Last edited:

kdogg85

Reaction score
The more and more I start plotting and looking, sadly Nate you seem dead on. Which sucks.

I would guess start with the .63 housing and see what happens? Any of those three Garrett's, looks like I'd have to rethink injectors, 1400cc per head I'm sure would overwhelm them.

Is 3.0L of displacement 3.0L of displacement no matter gas or diesel in terms of exhaust volume?

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
I would go s200 frame chargers if I was doing it. Just because I have seen that work before. Other that that I have no exsperance with them lol. So I wouldn't take what I said a couple years ago to heart.

Last edited:

windrunner408

Reaction score
I'll piggy back on the 2860 off each head but w/ .64 housings and a 5518 down stream. That ought to give you the air you're looking for to handle the planned fuel IMO.

motoxracer42

Reaction score
Dmaxs and dodges are running gtx3582s with tons of fuel. I see it everyday.
I have an extra gt3076r sitting here. Ill lend it out if someone wants to try. If not its going on an evo soon

kdogg85

Reaction score
My whole reason for thinking a 362 per head was because 4 350's are the same fuel as a 362 would see with 8 175's. And a 362 works plenty fine with 175's. Granted, there won't be as much volume, but these heads are not neutered as bad as the stock heads. And as far as I know, this will be the shortest path for the exhaust to hit the turbines. Still have velocity, but how much volume loss.

If this does fail, hopefully not, but i would lay an F3 on top of the motor and have a scoop out of the hood. I loved compounds, but as a few have stated, they are getting to be a little too common. For my taste anyway.

The only thing I know about triples is there is a rats nest of pipes with 3 turbos. Not my thing, very cool, just not my thing.

I am several months at least away from buying any turbos or injectors for that matter, I just wanted to get this out there with plenty of time for discussion and tips, tricks, etc... I have a crapload of fabbing still to get done.

rustbucket

Reaction score
The more and more I start plotting and looking, sadly Nate you seem dead on. Which sucks.

I would guess start with the .63 housing and see what happens? Any of those three Garrett's, looks like I'd have to rethink injectors, 1400cc per head I'm sure would overwhelm them.

Is 3.0L of displacement 3.0L of displacement no matter gas or diesel in terms of exhaust volume?

3.0l is 3.0l, but gas engines and diesels are complete different. Gas engines have more velocity and can turn more rpms. A 2.4l dodge neon is moving alot more air at 7500rpms then 4 cylinders of 6.0l diesel at 5000rpms.

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
This idea has been tired and failed several times....big waste of time, and money.

But if you're still convinced, start with a hx 35 or a hy 35 off the 2nd gen cummins trucks, they're dirt cheap (like trade for a case of beer cheap), I believe a 57mm wheel and very small exhaust housing and a t3.

Good luck cuz your gonna need it, or you'll need the beer when you say *** it and go with traditional compounds.

funny you mention this.......Hx 35 turbo was topic of discussion my and my guys had at the shop last night......

kdogg85

Reaction score
I know I said triples are a rats nest of pipes, but what would a 256/366 or 371 ATM dual compound system do? I'm gonna have to gate one way or another, why not put it to use. Just thinking out loud but what the heck, be different and clean each bank up fully.

Would be different and won't eat up that much more room doing an ATM setup.

strokin6L

Reaction score
Here's what Eric's race truck looks like with triples.

Attachments

• 1378585_653904161297933_1013503220_n.jpg
    1378585_653904161297933_1013503220_n.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 120

Latest posts

Members online