Ttb Dana 60 swap

LtlPed

Reaction score
What should I expect to pay to do a ttb Dana 60 swap? I have a 96 f250 7.3.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Might be cheaper to buy a OBS F350 instead.

If you find a Dana 60, you MUST get the lower driver side u-bolt bracket. You'll also need the trac bar bracket and front x-fer case yoke along with the front driveshaft. Highly recommend not using the F250 leaf springs as they are thicker/stiffer than the F350 one. Also, won't hurt getting the pitman arm.

Do a search, there is a ton of info on this subject.

Billy T.
[email protected]

LtlPed

Reaction score
Am I in the 1k range 2k? Trying to get a reasonable budget idea.

co04cobra

Reaction score
To get a dana 60 in and working correctly, without leaving worn out parts, expect at least 2K.

LtlPed

Reaction score
So in my area as expected f350 Dana 60s are almost non existent. How ever there are quite a few for the dodge would those work and need to be re-geared. Or because I'm a weekend warrior not towing except on occasion should I just lift the ttb and throw the 35s I want to on it and call it good? If so which kit is the best I have read allot and main complaint seems to be the camber with the ttb.

superpsd

Reaction score
You can keep your eyes peeled for one. Unfortunately they have been in high demand. The Dodge axles will not work. I was in the same boat. I semi kept my eyes out for a D60 but all I saw were worn out D60s asking 1K. I lifted my TTB. I have not had camber issues myself lifted or stock height. I lifted mine with the Sky 5" RSK kit and skyjacker drop pivot arm brackets and SKY drop pitman arm. Stock leafs. Rides much better after the lift and I still have not upgraded the shocks. It raised the front 5". And if I do find a D60 someday and decided to swap it will bolt right up to the RSK. My truck is mostly a grocery getting pavement crawler however. It does go off the beaten path from time to time.

Last edited:

superpsd

Reaction score
Well my TTB had been untouched for 300K miles. The hardest part was the siezed spring bolts. Several had to be Cutout and hammered on. I want to say 3 full days of hard work. I spent hours alone trying to break the old pitman arm free. Finally after putting a puller for tension and spraying it over and over and rapping it good it popped. You may want to also look at your current ball joints to see of they need to be done.
This is bad picture. I can get you better pictures with my new phone which has a 21MP camera. The rear is still 1" lower. Kind of what they call the "Carolina stance". For the next step. I am throwing the idea around of air bags added to the rear and I have a Dana HD 80 I may swap into the rear and put some 19.5s on it as I have a set of Alcoa 19.5s and aim for a larger 35-36" tire.
IMAG2574_1_zpsrobaqtjp.jpg

Last edited:

LtlPed

Reaction score
Ok so tell me if I just hit a good find. 81 f250 axle code 37. From what I see it's a d60 with 3.54 gears I currently have 3.55 in the rear. He's asking $500 for the whole truck.

LtlPed

Reaction score
They have the door sticker posted how do I find out what front end is on the trucks?

gnxtc2

Reaction score
A F250 will not have a Dana 60 up front.

Like I said, you need to find a F350. And even better yet, buy the entire truck. It'll be much easier. You can probably buy the entire truck for the price of the the Dana 60 alone and not have to hunt for obsolete parts.

Billy T.
[email protected]

LtlPed

Reaction score
What years 87-97 or are there any other that will work.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Look for:
85-91.5 - Kingpin axles

92-97 - Balljoint axles (with 95-97 axles you can swap over your brakes)

The 85-94 axles have slide pin calipers and smaller rotors.

You need to get the obsolete parts with the axle otherwise you can not install the axle.

Where are you located?

Billy T.
[email protected]

LtlPed

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the info! Man I love these forums

Latest posts

Members online