Tuning 101 - Thread Merged with Injector Posts

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
Great info,

A little disappointed because talking to Baumann guy with USShift we talked about PCS and he was confident they could not do it.
Hope he wasn't leading me astray on purpose.

Charles

Reaction score
I am extremely confident the PCS will kick it on after 4th as a double over. 99.999%.

And I bet you could also split gears with it.... just don't know how good those shifts would feel. Might feel like the 5, 6 and 10R garbage transmission shifts. Stacking shifts one atop the other is why the 4R feels sooooooooo good on shifts. NO RELEASE.....

FULL throttle INSTANT shift...

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
Also.... don't know what the max input torque is on the GV.... but I bet you could get it unhappy engaging it in lower gears.
The GV operates off oil pressure, of course, but the pump is driven by the output shaft.

So you need ground speed to build pressure. I can't remember what GV said like don't operate below 30mph or 20 mph but with the pump driven like that you can understand the reasoning behind it.

I have never seen any reason in my application for splitting gears. The only thing I have noticed is the ratio is a little better than the factory OD for towing. So when towing I would often shut the Factory OD off and run the GV.
There is a big jump between 3rd and 4th in the E4OD or 4R but the GV is not quite as big of a jump.

Anymore it really is just a toy to try and get the rpms and engine noise down at 70mph plus. 20 years ago you were not holding up traffic at 70mph. Now you are in the way.

It is not required at all, just trying to make a more enjoyable ride and drive out of the old 7.3

Charles

Reaction score
If you did 1-2, lock, 2 over 3, 3 over, 4, 4 over You just did 8 solid ratio changes.

As for the pressure...... might be interesting to disable the pump and route fluid pressure from the 4R.... then it would be pressure controlled with all the other shifts. Then adjust the orifice in the GV appropriately so it shifts like the 4R at similar epc values...

Now I'm getting intrigued myself!

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
I called PCS, they really were not that helpful. He originally said it could not be done.

First the only unit that might do it is the TCM2800 because that is the only unit they sell to the public.

He said I could program a 5th shift to run a digital output to run the GV so it is possible, but he said the programming would not be easy. He wasn't even sure how to do it, but said I should be able to do it.

Basically tech support was not very supportive.

So not sure what I will do with that.

I see stand alone for like the 5R trans. He says they sell those to dealers only and they do no calibration because they are a nightmare to get right. But he said that would not work for me anyway because the 5th solenoid is not part of the transmission, which I am not sure how it would know, but that is what he said.

So I am kind of at a loss. Not really sure what to think about all the stuff he just told me.

The majority of stuff they do goes to dealers and the dealers do the programming like Destroked. It is their baby, their problem.

They do sell an E4od package that would work for me, but it is up to me to figure out the programming for the GV output.

Of which they didn't seem like they were going to be very helpful.

So I guess I need to see what the program looks like and if I can read it and if I think I can write my own.

powerlifter405

Reaction score
When my 7.3 goes back under the knife it's getting a 6 speed Allison out of a GM and going back to 4.10s. I'd consider 3.73 as well.
Will you be doing a build thread? I'm considering getting into a 7.3 Ex, just to lose excessive computer controls, plus the extra space for the dogs and if I ever have a family again. I have 2-2020 F150s and its always something. I'd suspect the 7.3 would benefit from the 2 extra allison gears and its stronger out of the box.

Charles

Reaction score
PCS themselves have always been hands off. Yes, the 5R is shit..... as a transmission, because it is catch and release. I literally just sold a beautiful F450 just to get away from a 10R for this reason. I am driving a 22 year old truck because I chose a PCS 4R over a brand new 10R precisely because of the trans special olympics.

It has always been the case that PCS uses dealers. I got my dyno operator to become a dealer just to buy my stuff.

They stopped making the original TCM 2000 years ago, so I can't just give you a starter file. Someone like destroked can. My first file came from a buddy of mine who did a cummins swap and used PCS for the trans.

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
PCS themselves have always been hands off. Yes, the 5R is shit..... as a transmission, because it is catch and release. I literally just sold a beautiful F450 just to get away from a 10R for this reason. I am driving a 22 year old truck because I chose a PCS 4R over a brand new 10R precisely because of the trans special olympics.

It has always been the case that PCS uses dealers. I got my dyno operator to become a dealer just to buy my stuff.

They stopped making the original TCM 2000 years ago, so I can't just give you a starter file. Someone like destroked can. My first file came from a buddy of mine who did a cummins swap and used PCS for the trans.
Sounds like I need to be talking to a dealer not PCS directly.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Will you be doing a build thread? I'm considering getting into a 7.3 Ex, just to lose excessive computer controls, plus the extra space for the dogs and if I ever have a family again. I have 2-2020 F150s and its always something. I'd suspect the 7.3 would benefit from the 2 extra allison gears and its stronger out of the box.
That's the plan. But time will tell what happens. I'm still gathering parts. I'd like to have as much of the parts needed before starting that way it's not ripped apart for years. lol

The extra two gears are bound to be nice. You can run 4:30 gears if you wanted and still have lower RPMs than the 4 speed with 3.73. That should make for a healthy pulling outfit. 5th on the Allison is the same as 4th on the 4r.

Latest posts

Members online