Turbo and Injector questions

20007.3stroker

Reaction score
Well with my tranny in the stages of being rebuilt and a few things taken care of to ensure its better than stock. Im trying to formulate a plan and get basics in place before I actually look at getting injectors and turbo. My idea is more leaning budget as I will probably never get crazy in biulding like some of you guys(unless I win the lottery of coarse LOL). I know some one was running what Im thinking, but cant remember who to get more details. Im thinking stage 2's and a van turbo. Im trying to keep myself from spending more on stuff Ill never use to its full potential. Like what Steve(genuineford) suggested Hybrids and a 38r, sure Id love to but Id never use them to the full potential. Id just like more power and still not have any issues when I need to pull a trailer or if I hook to a sled.

Would this plan work and not send my EGTs threw the roof, pulling a trailer or just DDing. A regulated return is planned as one of the prep things. What do you all think. And especially anyone with experience with this setup.

Sorry for how long that turned into and some rambling.LOL

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
depending on how the tranmission is being built, you could still potentially have enough power to screw it up. If your looking to hit the 350-400hp mark, id make sure that transmission is going to handle it first.

stage 2s and a van turbo would be a good combination, but probably still a little smokey and slightly warm as that turbo is just not big enough. If you went with a 38r you'd be more than happy with it and stage 2s. You could tow anything and control the EGT's with your foot pretty well.

But to be really honest even stage 2s have potential to break things, people have made 400+ on them and if your not smart about it you can still mess things up just as easily as with hybrids

20007.3stroker

Reaction score
Well Im not looking for a specific HP mark, but I am a believer in the "If you can get an aftermarket part for not much more coin than a stock part, go aftermarket". My injectors are gonna need replacing down the road here with in the next year. This is more of a budget thing than anything, Id love to do a 38r or even an H2E just the $$ isnt there. Hence why I thought the van turbo, as I can pick them up pretty cheap around here.

I dont tow alot, but when I do its more than my old 1/2 ton liked. Usually my towing is helping buddys move or if they need a car towed. Id just go stage 1's, but everything Ive read, most people end up upgrading to stage 2's eventually. I only like doing things once, hence the stage 2 idea. I dont beat on my truck or do stupid stuff like hooking bumpers.

Really I guess Im looking for all kinds of input, Id just like to hop it up a little and not kill it. So if any one has a good combo that isnt gonna break the bank, post it up. Im all ears.

PStroked444

Reaction score
Stage 1 30% nozzle and 38R. Good for all around turbo. Injectors will get you future power too. Just a thought.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
You could always go with a 160cc injector with a 30/80/100% nozzle on it (depending on how comfortable your tuner is) and then just run the stock turbo with a larger housing and wicked wheel, i dont see the reason for buying a van turbo, seems if your going through all the trouble of swapping turbos you might as well find a used 38r to put in there.

a larger exhaust housing and a wicked wheel and i bet your stock turbo would run a stage 1 or small stage 2 just fine

20007.3stroker

Reaction score
If you like just doing things once then get a set of hybrids and call it a day.

I know I know, hybrids can be tuned to run with almost any turbo and not kill it. I just dont know if Id ever need that much potential. I really dont wanna have to get a fully built tranny either. Which for me would happen if I go bigger than I really need to. I already have a hell of a time justifying hop ups I do to anything with the wife atleast until she drives it!! LOL

I really just want to stay on the conservative side with power. At the very least until my kids get older, which Id probably be in need of injectors agian by then and I could go bigger. Of coarse Id make sure to have a powerful setting on the chip for a little fun!!!

20007.3stroker

Reaction score
You could always go with a 160cc injector with a 30/80/100% nozzle on it (depending on how comfortable your tuner is) and then just run the stock turbo with a larger housing and wicked wheel, i dont see the reason for buying a van turbo, seems if your going through all the trouble of swapping turbos you might as well find a used 38r to put in there.

a larger exhaust housing and a wicked wheel and i bet your stock turbo would run a stage 1 or small stage 2 just fine

Heres what Im looking for thanks Strokeorcroak, Im knowledgeable about most aspects but combos Im a little lost on.

What would you suggest for the exhaust housing and small stage 2's. Ive done alot of reading between PSN in the past and here, got a comprehension of what you mean. But still have a ways to go before I speak diesel performance with the rest of you guys and understand it fully. This is a learning experience as much as it is recommendations. I dont even have my truck here to look at at the moment. Its sitting at the father-in-laws in the shed while the trannys getting done.

Last edited:

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Heres what Im looking for thanks Strokeorcroak, Im knowledgeable about most aspects but combos Im a little lost on.

What would you suggest for the exhaust housing and small stage 2's. Ive done alot of reading between PSN in the past and here, got a comprehension of what you mean. But still have a ways to go before I speak diesel performance with the rest of you guys and understand it fully. This is a learning experience as much as it is recommendations. I dont even have my truck here to look at at the moment. Its sitting at the father-in-laws in the shed while the trannys getting done.

The exhaust housing on a stock 99.5+ truck is a .84 a/r i believe, it was meant to help spool up on a stock truck application. The problem with that housing is that its just too small once you have larger injectors. A smaller exhaust housing means higher back pressures in the upper RPM range. If you put a 1.0 a/r housing on it with a set of larger inejctors it should perform nicely at the 350hp mark.

a 160cc injector with stock nozzle would be a stage 1 generally. Add a aftermarket nozzle to that and it would be commonly known as a stage 2. Id say to keep your stock turbo and also get a great power increase id do 160cc injector with a 30% nozzle. You will love the change it brings to the truck, but the possibility of killing the turbo or new transmission is pretty slim!

20007.3stroker

Reaction score
Do you happen to know who selles a wastedgated 1.0 a/r housing, all I can find is non-gated housings so far. Also does anyone know what beans stage 2 injector nozzles are, Ill contact them if no one knows.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Beans stage 2 injector will have either an 80 or a 100 nozzle, more than likely it would be 100. Most tuners claim that anything less is a waste because they can tune them to run however you want (which is true).

Going with a 100% nozzle isnt going to hurt anything, just need to let the tuner know your working with mostly stock parts!

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
Beans stage 2 injector will have either an 80 or a 100 nozzle, more than likely it would be 100. Most tuners claim that anything less is a waste because they can tune them to run however you want (which is true).

Going with a 100% nozzle isnt going to hurt anything, just need to let the tuner know your working with mostly stock parts!

You do realize those are Full Force Injectors, right?

TARM

Reaction score

Some tend to make this very confusing by referring to some of the products in which they only are a reseller as "theirs" and in such a way that one would have to deduce they are ones that have either directly built in house or designed them and possibly outsourced the manf. You are gonna have a bunch of people misinformed as unintentional as it may or may not be.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score

Some tend to make this very confusing by referring to some of the products in which they only are a reseller as "theirs" and in such a way that one would have to deduce they are ones that have either directly built in house or designed them and possibly outsourced the manf. You are gonna have a bunch of people misinformed as unintentional as it may or may not be.

To answer both of you, he asked about the product beans sells. Regardless who makes it be wanted to know about the product he saw on their website

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.