Turbo help

oldschool

Reaction score
got an obs turbo that's starting to pump a little oil, and thought I'd upgrade a little while I'm at it. I took in on trade a 99-03 stock turbo a while back and was going to put that on. Took the turbo apart and sent the turbine wheel and new wicked wheel to be balanced. When I started to clean parts while the shaft was being balanced, I noticed that there was a crack in the turbine housing. I've also got a van turbo in the "extra parts" pile. Was thinking of taking the van turbine housing and putting it on the sd cartridge. It looks like it will bolt up. From what I can tell, this would give me more charge air, a 1.15 turbine housing, and no waste gate. I've also put in stage one injectors intercooler a while back. Planning on changing the up pipes and intake to the sd. This is a work truck/ dd and do have a trailer on it a lot. Was a little concerned with no waste gate boost might get a little high. Anyone else see problems? Any suggestions or advice would be helpful and appreciated!!

Fordcowboy

Reaction score
The 1.15 van housing is too large for the 99-03 turbine wheel. The van uses a larger turbine wheel than the 99-03.

oldschool

Reaction score
Correct.
But... a van turbo with a 1.15 housing is basically an OBS turbo. Why go to the trouble to convert to the SD turbo setup when you could just rebuild your stock turbo?

doesn't the sd turbo have more cfm flow than the stock obs turbo? or the van turbo?? The plentiums for the van and obs are smaller than the sd intakes.

superduty4x4

Reaction score
doesn't the sd turbo have more cfm flow than the stock obs turbo? or the van turbo?? The plentiums for the van and obs are smaller than the sd intakes.
I don't think the SD turbo will flow any more than an OBS turbo. Yes, they push the air through bigger plenums into the motor, but IIRC the A/R ratio on the compressor is the same for the SD and OBS turbos, even though the SD turbo is physically larger. The SD runs a different compressor wheel and a turbine housing with a smaller A/R ratio than an OBS or a van, and gates it to help with overboosting. When SD guys upgrade their turbo with a "wicked wheel" they are installing a stock OBS wheel. When that's not enough many of them will install a 1.0 or or 1.15 A/R non-gated exhaust housing... like the OBS has.

oldschool

Reaction score
I don't think the SD turbo will flow any more than an OBS turbo. Yes, they push the air through bigger plenums into the motor, but IIRC the A/R ratio on the compressor is the same for the SD and OBS turbos, even though the SD turbo is physically larger. The SD runs a different compressor wheel and a turbine housing with a smaller A/R ratio than an OBS or a van, and gates it to help with overboosting. When SD guys upgrade their turbo with a "wicked wheel" they are installing a stock OBS wheel. When that's not enough many of them will install a 1.0 or or 1.15 A/R non-gated exhaust housing... like the OBS has.

not trying to aruge, just understand, then why the switch to a waste gated turbo in the sd, if they are basicly the same cfm flow as the obs? something has got to be differant somewhere? In my way of thinking, there should be more air flow from the sd than the obs, if the compressor wheels are the same, then wouldn't there be a differance in the turbine wheel, or housing to get more flow? either a bigger turbine wheel, or housing, or both?

superduty4x4

Reaction score
not trying to aruge, just understand, then why the switch to a waste gated turbo in the sd, if they are basicly the same cfm flow as the obs? something has got to be differant somewhere? In my way of thinking, there should be more air flow from the sd than the obs, if the compressor wheels are the same, then wouldn't there be a differance in the turbine wheel, or housing to get more flow? either a bigger turbine wheel, or housing, or both?
The SD went to a smaller, wastegated exhaust housing to get quicker spool up. A stock OBS takes quite a while to spool up compared to a stock SD. Quicker spool means more boost sooner.
The stock SD compressor wheel does flow more air than the stock OBS wheel (aka, wicked wheel). The problem is... it can flow TOO much air for the turbo which is why many guys had surge/stall issues and installed a wicked wheel.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.