Turbo Problem

mudslinger02

Reaction score
This cant be good. Looks like it might be time to rebuild my turbo:shrug:. Thoughts? There is some side to side play in it but not enough to hit the housing and no in and out play.

turbo-1.jpg

Arisley

Reaction score
When you say it has some side to side, are you talking like a lot or just a tiny bit. Remember, there has to be a tiny bit of side to side to allow room for the oil.

mudslinger02

Reaction score
I would say just a tiny bit. There is just enough to where I can tell its moving but not enough to hit or rub anything. I was just more concerned about the oil leaking out of the center of it.

Arisley

Reaction score
Is it puddling up or is it just a seep. Just a seep, I would make sure all the bolts were good and tight and just run it.

Blowby

Reaction score
What you're seeing is a common problem with the center section. Ford had a recall 9 or so years ago and replaced the 4 bolts that hold the turbine housing to the center section. The threads have a wave built into the bolt to keep it from backing out with heat cycles and vibration. If you replace the bolts from a Ford dealer you will get the updated ones.

mudslinger02

Reaction score
From what I can tell it just started leaking, no puddle yet just seeping. Ill make sure they're tight and keep an eye on it. Can the bolts be replaced with the turbo in place or does it have to come apart to get to them? Thanks for the help guys!!

Blowby

Reaction score
You can replace them with the turbo on the truck but I think the compressor housing and WG need to come off to access the difficult locations.

mudslinger02

Reaction score
Ok well if it doesn't stop leaking after I try to tighten them I'll give that a shot and replace the bolts. Thanks again!!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.