Turbo question

dasboot

Reaction score
Had a conversation this morning with a fella. He said that it sounded like my turbo was on the way out due to it spooling some after shutting down the engine. Something about flex plates.

Can some one elaborate more on this? Is this true? what is happening and what should I look out for?

I don't seem to have any problems, everything runs fine.

2005 6.0L stock Garrett turbo

Mike@MPD

Reaction score
Well flexplates and turbos have nothing to do with each other. Does it sound like its hitting the housing when you shut it off? It will slowly come to a stop every you shut it off. It shouldnt make a ting ting ting noise when its slowing down

Mdub707

Reaction score
Well when the truck is running, the turbo is spinning. It may not be making boost, but it's at least spinning. So when the truck shuts off the turbo is still spinning down. If you didn't hear it spinning down, THEN you would have problems. I've had mine stick after shutting down, and it wont even let the truck start with it stuck like that. Sounds like your turbo is working as it should, and the "fella" you spoke with is a fool. Just a guess.

d7es3l

Reaction score
Yes. The turbo is spooling down! Completely normal. Just make sure you let your truck idle for 30 seconds or more after running it to let new oil get through the turbo. Turbos will still spin for a good 15-20 seconds after you shut the truck off. I've seen turbos on an ISX spin for a good minute, minute & a half after the truck has been run hard & shut off, which is why it is always good to let new oil get through the turbo.

Mdub707

Reaction score
It's not so much the "spinning down" that it needs the oil for, the letting it idle before shutting it off is to get oil flowing to cool it down a little. If you shut the truck off, oil stops pumping, but the turbo is still extremely hot (worse the harder you drive the truck or tow a load etc). You want to let the turbo cool down so when you shut the truck off the oil doesn't sit there and bake on the turbo and coke it up.

d7es3l

Reaction score
It's not so much the "spinning down" that it needs the oil for, the letting it idle before shutting it off is to get oil flowing to cool it down a little. If you shut the truck off, oil stops pumping, but the turbo is still extremely hot (worse the harder you drive the truck or tow a load etc). You want to let the turbo cool down so when you shut the truck off the oil doesn't sit there and bake on the turbo and coke it up.

I know, I was just telling him what that noise was! You're right though. This is what I have been trying to say ha.

dasboot

Reaction score
Thanks all, I'm pretty sure the fella probally was wrong. He used to work for along time for the Local Ford dealer and now at USA auto. I was ribbing him about driving a Ford SD w/6.0l when he is all about being a Duramax guy. The Ford was a dealer vehicle. Needless to say I had to hear the o'l how much the 6.0l is a POS story from him. Blah blah blah!
I think the turbo is just fine. I'm sure if something was wrong Bill from PHP would of picked it up. Next time, I swing by and see him I will have him take a listen.

FaSSt9602

Reaction score
Normal spindown is fine, but like MPD said if you start to here pinging while it is spinning down, then you have a problem. I was hearing that with mine and shortly after the seals blew and it was trashed...

Latest posts

Members online