Turbo seals, EGR cooler, investors???

Blubyu

Reaction score
Pre face: 2006 F250, new truck to me, not my first 6.0L though, supposed EGR ******, does have head studs, blue spring upgrade, exhaust, and intake. SCT 65hp tow tune with EGR turned off.

Not all the time while sitting in gear it will pump a light cloud of white/ grayish smoke out the tail pipe. Additionally under light throttle it will smoke white/ gray. None of this is consistent though it's intermittent.

Hard acceleration some black soot like usual. Runs well, starts fine, no lack of power.

Supposed I could pop the EGR valve out see if there's coolant in there or not. That way I could rule out the EGR cooler?

Any ideas for a process of elimination to narrow down what's causing this?

MNStroker316

Reaction score
No guru by any means, but i would start by finding out if your egr is actually dleted, that will allow someone to further diagnosis your situation. If you still have an egr cooler, it is very possible it has ruptured.
Also, you posted at a dead time of the day, I'm sure someone will chime in this evening.

MNStroker316

Reaction score
Also, your bio doesn't say where you are located, but a diesel is a diesel, it's not uncommon for them to haze out of the exhaust when it's cold out.

Blubyu

Reaction score
I'm in Arizona. Peoria to be exact.

Pulled the EGR valve off.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456869434.381875.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456869455.943678.jpg

slowcoupe

Reaction score
Your EGR is pretty dirty not the worst Ive seen by any means. However it does look somewhat wet.

Look down into the valley underneath the turbo on the passenger side. You'll be able to see the u pipe for the EGR removal kit where it coolant flows out from the oil filter housing. If it hasn't been removed you'll be able to see the EGR cooler still in place. If the egr is still in place the truck has not been ******d.

Why do you still have the egr in place? Smog purposes?

Blubyu

Reaction score
Your EGR is pretty dirty not the worst Ive seen by any means. However it does look somewhat wet.

Look down into the valley underneath the turbo on the passenger side. You'll be able to see the u pipe for the EGR removal kit where it coolant flows out from the oil filter housing. If it hasn't been removed you'll be able to see the EGR cooler still in place. If the egr is still in place the truck has not been ******d.

Why do you still have the egr in place? Smog purposes?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456878173.165120.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456878183.300152.jpg

Yeah they look to make sure it's still there. I have a call in to IPR to order that gen 2 kit and ****** the cooler.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I dont really know how youd check without tearing into it more as far as the deelet goes. Try running it with the egr out and see if it pumps exhaust out, dont know if itll pump intake boost out or not though. Could possibly be ficm related. Also pull the inlet to the turbo off and check the bearings for excessive play.

valvetick

Reaction score
Does this truck have a CCV mod? Is it plugged up or blocked off? If it isn't venting properly you will get some white hazing out of the exhaust because the vent is blocked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slowcoupe

Reaction score
Your EGR is still in place and possibly never even removed. You can clearly see the tube that runs back to the EGR cooler back by the up pipe. If there was an EGR ****** the pipe would U-turn and go into the manifold. The clamp on your engine picture that connects to the oil cooler is the OEM hose and stepless ear clamp. These type of clamps are easy and usually ruined and replaced with a worm screw clamp when reinstalled. Even if if was removed and welded shut there would most likely be a different clamp in place of that one.

You can see this tube when looking down into the valley in the exact same spot where you took your picture.

pic2_zps462a46d8.jpg

Last edited:

Blubyu

Reaction score
Does this truck have a CCV mod? Is it plugged up or blocked off? If it isn't venting properly you will get some white hazing out of the exhaust because the vent is blocked.

Not sure what that is can you point me in the right direction.

valvetick

Reaction score
Not sure what that is can you point me in the right direction.

The crankcase vent does it still run the intake like stock or does it have a hose running to the atmosphere? If you don't allow the Ccv to breathe easily it can cause a white smoke.

There are a number of things that will make it smoke bad o rings internally causing injectors to leak, EGR, turbo seals, CCV blocked.

But first I would make sure your egr isn't leaking like others said if you don't have it welded shut.

Last edited:

Blubyu

Reaction score
The crankcase vent does it still run the intake like stock or does it have a hose running to the atmosphere? If you don't allow the Ccv to breathe easily it can cause a white smoke.

But first I would make sure your egr isn't leaking like others said if you don't have it welded shut.

Copy, I'm trying to get ahold of IPR. They are not answering their phone. Left a voicemail yesterday. I am going to order their Gen two kit and ditch the cooker.

I have no loss of coolant yet. But without removing the cooler I don't know how else to verify its leaking. Waiter way it's coming out.

valvetick

Reaction score
Copy, I'm trying to get ahold of IPR. They are not answering their phone. Left a voicemail yesterday. I am going to order their Gen two kit and ditch the cooker.

I have no loss of coolant yet. But without removing the cooler I don't know how else to verify its leaking. Waiter way it's coming out.

Park the truck with the front down a slight incline and let it sit over night and then pull your egr valve. Is it just chalky black soot or gummy?

Blubyu

Reaction score
Neither. Slightly gummy if anything. When i pulled it out yesterday it all just wiped right off and a slight moisture to it.

Blubyu

Reaction score

There are a number of things that will make it smoke bad o rings internally causing injectors to leak, EGR, turbo seals, CCV blocked.

CCV mod is not done.

I'll do that tomorrow. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456968704.747688.jpg

Blubyu

Reaction score
Well I did the turbo work. Turbo def needed rebuilt, unison ring was worn out. Ton of carbon build up also. Was leaking oil too. Egr cooler wasn't leaking and was plugged on the one end. Got the IPR kit installed, nice kit. Re sealed the oil cooler at the same time. CCV re route done.

Here is the kicker. It still SMOKES!!! Only when leaving a stop light. There was quite a bit of oil in the turbo piping. I cleaned that all out.

Could it still be oil in the intercooler and it just needs times to get blown out? Or???

I did a power balance test, cylinder contribution test, injector kill test, and etc all passed.

Maybe hook the boat up pull a 6% grade and get all that **** blown out?

Ideas???

jake74

Reaction score
Probably just build up in exhaust if it still has cat and muffler installed. Run it hard and it will clean exhaust out.

Latest posts

Members online