Turbo Sound

Cfox17

Reaction score
Another question, after going fully deleted I have noticed a "whooshing" sound after I accelerate hard and let off the gas. I looked around and noticed that it may be turbo surging and that that is not good for my turbos. I linked a video, this is exactly the noise my truck makes. Is that a bad thing? Thanks

https://youtu.be/qfn3twWJWe0

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
totally normal. the turbos have been making that noise the whole time, you just couldn't hear it with the OEM air box

JrStroker

Reaction score
Another question, after going fully deleted I have noticed a "whooshing" sound after I accelerate hard and let off the gas. I looked around and noticed that it may be turbo surging and that that is not good for my turbos. Is that a bad thing? [/URL]

Most likely turbo surge (video wouldn't load for me) but yes, it is a bad thing. The 6.4 turbos are stout but it will eventually start breaking things like shafts in the turbos.

Make a effort to learn yourself to let off the throttle easy instead of dumping it all at once. I tried and it's like second nature for me now.

Cfox17

Reaction score
The only reason I was hesitant on thinking it was turbo surge was because I am only running a mild tune and have my boost defueling at 42 PSI, the stock registers 41 PSI, so surely I am not getting that much surge over stock to cause problems? I have only peaked at 42 PSI, and I am usually closer to mid/high 30s

I was thinking it was just the sound increased from the air intake like other posters have mentioned.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
seriously, don't worry about it...

I've put hundreds of thousands of miles on these trucks, no defuels, chopping the throttle, etc.

Heck, the turbo surges when you shut the truck off... same with a 6.0. I doubt it's hurting anything.

It's not even true compressor surge, if you want to get technical. WOOF WOOF, baby!

Latest posts

Members online