Turbo surge

Fordkid

Reaction score
How do I fix the issue. I have a 00 the edge evolution afe stage 2 4in turbo back exhaust and 35s

TARM

Reaction score
ONLY the Ported housing will fix it for sure. SOMETIMES the OBS wheel will change the range just enough to minimize and at times stop it but its very hit and miss. More than anything the tuning is what effects this the most. How the fueling is brought in etc. When Ii was all stock a long time ago Matts tunes I had no surge at all. Now I was running stock tires but it did not surge. I know others have seen this as well with different tunes.

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Ported housing is the way to go. 1.0 housing will have less drive pressures than the .84 so its a win-win anyways.

neverkickn

Reaction score
Ported housing is the way to go. 1.0 housing will have less drive pressures than the .84 so its a win-win anyways.

But the ported housing is an intake part and the 1.0 turbine housing is an exhaust part. Doing both would be a nice charger upgrade for a stock truck.

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Agreed. It's early, sorry I wrote that poorly. A 1.0 exhaust housing would be best. But a ported cold side housing would be great too. I'd find whichever is cheaper and go that route, bypassing the WW.

Super_Hauler

Reaction score
don't do the wicked wheel. To many people have told me they felt a performance loss after they installed it, and it sounds like crap

TARM

Reaction score
And frankly it makes the thing louder. I am never going to understand people wanting to get their turbo to whine more. Further amusing is when some of the same people upgrade to a 38R and do nothing but bitch about how loud it is. :shrug:

If you are sure you will keep the stock turbo then get the ported housing. Trust me if you down the road do upgrade you will be able to sell it for just a little under what you pay for it. People always wanting it and looking for a better deal.

yzrmbsg

Reaction score
Since I have future plans of a turbo swap, I went with the WW. I am running DP tuning, afe stage II, 4in turbo back, ebpv delete, and I was getting HORRIBLE surge, especially towing, not even able to tow at the speed limit without mashing the skinny pedal so it would drop to 3rd. I was worried about how everyone always complained about the WW being loud, but I didnt wanna spend 400 on a ATS housing, so I went the "cheap bandaid" route and got the WW. It has completely eliminated my surging, and is a completely different sound alltogether when it spools up, not louder by any means, but definately a different whine to it. It spools much quicker. Only downfall so far is I went from 32lbs peak boost to 28lbs peak boost, not bad for a stock turbo at all. Overall I am very satisfied with my $78 "bandaid"! It'll do for now, until the funds allow for more upgrades!

Petro

Reaction score
I had a wicked wheel in my 02 a few years back, It fixxed my surge problem and I really like it. It was worth the 100 bucks for sure. Debateing on putting one in my 99 but I might just save up a buy a used 38r.

Fordkid

Reaction score
Well the wicked wheel is in and now the truck rolls coal like none other. I'm gonna save up and buy a new turbo.

doubledrop

Reaction score
You probably have a boost leak or an uppipe leak. The wheel should not make that much of a difference. Mine didn't at least.

^ what he said, check your up-pipes, more than likely where the Y-pipe mounts to the turbo isnt seated properly

doubledrop

Reaction score
Doh! Just saw this was in the 7.3 forum so not sure where the most common place for the leak would be

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.