turbo upgrade

chris d

Reaction score
alright so i haven't been on here in awhile because of work i haven't had time to really do any more work to my truck as of now i have the truck deleted and tuned with spartan. i just brought a h&s mini maxx because i want to go with custom tuning. i am sending the truck in for head studs and tranny i also wanted to do a single turbo set up i want some pros and cons of going with a big single also i want some help with choosing a good set up that will be reliable I'm not looking to build a nightmare thats in and out of the shop. any help would be great thanks.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
alright so i haven't been on here in awhile because of work i haven't had time to really do any more work to my truck as of now i have the truck deleted and tuned with spartan. i just brought a h&s mini maxx because i want to go with custom tuning. i am sending the truck in for head studs and tranny i also wanted to do a single turbo set up i want some pros and cons of going with a big single also i want some help with choosing a good set up that will be reliable I'm not looking to build a nightmare thats in and out of the shop. any help would be great thanks.

I have a Midwest Diesel & Auto Billet S366 kit and I love it.

I had driveability problems before, wont spool laggy/no power etc switched to Gearhead tunes, a few reversions and problems solved if you end up going the single route definitely switch to Gearhead tunes.

WOT EGT's don't go over 1350, power is awesome, overall kit is well put together and its awesome quality.

johnp115

Reaction score
Stock fuel? Dual fuelers? Bigger nozzles? Plans on how youre gonna use the truck, dd, dragstrip, sled pull????? That's what will tell us what setup you may like

johnp115

Reaction score
In a nut shell...

Pros:

More power
Cleans up under the hood
Relatively more reliable than stock compounds
Way easier to work on
Less drive pressure, bp is practically 1:1
Sounds amazing

Cons

Loss of the instant spool that stock compounds provide
Takes time to dial it in perfectly how you want it
Typically can't tow heavy (not desirable)

08Monster

Reaction score
I have a Midwest Diesel & Auto Billet S366 kit and I love it.

I had driveability problems before, wont spool laggy/no power etc switched to Gearhead tunes, a few reversions and problems solved if you end up going the single route definitely switch to Gearhead tunes.

WOT EGT's don't go over 1350, power is awesome, overall kit is well put together and its awesome quality.
I had a tune built off your race tune and it still is smokey, hot, and not good. Haha gotta do some more revisions.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
I had a tune built off your race tune and it still is smokey, hot, and not good. Haha gotta do some more revisions.

Wierd you sure you don't have anything wrong with truck? Boots ,up pipes,leaking manifolds clogged intercooler? I couldn't get that tune to smoke or get hot even if I tried., well anyways, that was my old one I'm on number 5 now LOL. 4 to 5 was a huge improvement.

What the temps you are seeing now with that tune? My temp crusing at 60 are 650-750 and 900-1100 climbing hills.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score

Also idk if I ever asked, do you have a no limit intake?

What's your rail pressure cruising and WOT, what's you boost at a 60 cruising? When is it hot and smokey?

Last edited:

08Monster

Reaction score
Wierd you sure you don't have anything wrong with truck? Boots ,up pipes,leaking manifolds clogged intercooler? I couldn't get that tune to smoke or get hot even if I tried., well anyways, that was my old one I'm on number 5 now LOL. 4 to 5 was a huge improvement.

What the temps you are seeing now with that tune? My temp crusing at 60 are 650-750 and 900-1100 climbing hills.
It's got brand new BD uppipes and manifolds, can't find a boost leak anywhere but I'm gonna test it hopefully tonight with 20-30psi and my air compressor, gonna spray everything. I've thought about the clogged intercooler idea too, I was planning on changing it, but the deal I had fell through. Temps are the same, hot as hell. Hahaha 1050 cruising, 1250-1350 climbing hills. At 70. At 60 the motor lugs so bad, I can hit 1500 climbing hills at 60, and its a smokey, smokey b*tch. Not sure about RP, Livewire can't monitor it. I'm going to do some data logs for Cody tonight and see what we can come up with. Something still isn't right, I'm smoking constantly while cruising, and I smoke on the very lightest acceleration. Going from a stop light, even if I drive so easy it only makes 1psi of boost, I'm still hazing behind me.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
It's got brand new BD uppipes and manifolds, can't find a boost leak anywhere but I'm gonna test it hopefully tonight with 20-30psi and my air compressor, gonna spray everything. I've thought about the clogged intercooler idea too, I was planning on changing it, but the deal I had fell through. Temps are the same, hot as hell. Hahaha 1050 cruising, 1250-1350 climbing hills. At 70. At 60 the motor lugs so bad, I can hit 1500 climbing hills at 60, and its a smokey, smokey b*tch. Not sure about RP, Livewire can't monitor it. I'm going to do some data logs for Cody tonight and see what we can come up with. Something still isn't right, I'm smoking constantly while cruising, and I smoke on the very lightest acceleration. Going from a stop light, even if I drive so easy it only makes 1psi of boost, I'm still hazing behind me.

Light throttle roll from a stop light I can reach 3-5 psi very easy and a very light haze. Something definitely isn't right LOL I would check for any leaks,Get a better scanner on it like AE or IDS,it could have codes that the SCT won't even show.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score

Do you have a no limit intake?

chris d

Reaction score
Stock fuel? Dual fuelers? Bigger nozzles? Plans on how youre gonna use the truck, dd, dragstrip, sled pull????? That's what will tell us what setup you may like

In a nut shell...

Pros:

More power
Cleans up under the hood
Relatively more reliable than stock compounds
Way easier to work on
Less drive pressure, bp is practically 1:1
Sounds amazing

Cons

Loss of the instant spool that stock compounds provide
Takes time to dial it in perfectly how you want it
Typically can't tow heavy (not desirable)

for now stock fuel and stock nozzles the truck is my dd and i might take it to the drag strip once and a while

Latest posts

Members online