Turbonetics T4 mount kit fit OBS

superduty4x4

Reaction score
Haven't seen a tn one in person, but the couple irate ones I've helped install in obs and the one in my truck really caused me to live up to their name. Its irate for a reason....

You get what you pay for, go with the tn.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
Not trying to swat a hornet's nest but what were the issues you ran into? Plenum clearance? Firewall clearance? Something else?

96F350KID

Reaction score
The TN kits were nice just to much money. As far as the Irate kits being a pain on the OBS, EVERYTHING is a pain on an OBS. We've done 4 installs here and the TN kit is just as difficult as Irates kit. With an Irate kit you get a few more things you don't get with the TN kit. Hence why we use them on our own trucks and not TN kit. I used to fab up a few T4 home made mounts for a few friends and I made the up-pipes just like Irates, their is only one way to really make them that's not a PITA. The clamp TN uses like a 6.0 up-pipe likes to come loose after awhile which can be annoying. We sell many Irate mount kits and Jake @ Irate not me lol, will send flanges for whatever turbo you want.

2000wa250

Reaction score
Not trying to swat a hornet's nest but what were the issues you ran into? Plenum clearance? Firewall clearance? Something else?

Um on mine, plenum clearance, downpipe clearance, uppipes were a little short and wouldn't make contact until the bolts pulled them down, lack of a thought out intake, the first oil drain pipe I got was too long, welds were alright.

On the obs kit I helped install the downpipe didn't line up, the y pipe didn't line up, the pipe to connect to the y pipe didn't even come close to lining up. Basically had to rework the entire kit. Cut and weld cut and weld until it had the correct bends and things fit.

Like I said, I haven't met a single person that has installed an irate kit that says it went on smoothly. Everyone I've met has at least said one part of it was a hassle or needed to be clearanced to fit. Again, irate kits make people irate, which is what I meant by living up to its name. You get what you pay for though and it is the cheapest option widely available.

Anyone else with further questions feel free to pm me so we don't clutter up this thread anymore.

Reaction score
Um on mine, plenum clearance, downpipe clearance, uppipes were a little short and wouldn't make contact until the bolts pulled them down, lack of a thought out intake, the first oil drain pipe I got was too long, welds were alright.

On the obs kit I helped install the downpipe didn't line up, the y pipe didn't line up, the pipe to connect to the y pipe didn't even come close to lining up. Basically had to rework the entire kit. Cut and weld cut and weld until it had the correct bends and things fit.

Like I said, I haven't met a single person that has installed an irate kit that says it went on smoothly. Everyone I've met has at least said one part of it was a hassle or needed to be clearanced to fit. Again, irate kits make people irate, which is what I meant by living up to its name. You get what you pay for though and it is the cheapest option widely available.

Anyone else with further questions feel free to pm me so we don't clutter up this thread anymore.

Feel free to post away, this is what I'm trying to learn!

In fainess to Irate, how long ago were the kits mentioned purchased. I'm sure there has been a learning curve. I think it is awesome for a small company to come to market with a custom product! I don't have what it takes to do it.
Consistant quality is critical, however if early in the life of the product some room for improvement can be tolerated.

UNLIMITED_DIESEL

Reaction score
Okay, are you ready for my .02 on this situation?

The TN Kit is by far the NICEST looking kit on the market.

HOWEVER it is only designed to work with the Superduty trucks (99-03). If you are looking for a kit for a 94-97 OBS, I think I'd be looking pretty hard at a kit from Irate. Jake has an extremely nice product, it's all manufactured here in the USA, and its COMPLETE. Jakes kit may be a little bit of a pain in some areas, but if you're looking to put a TN kit on an OBS, you're going to be cussing at the end of the day because you're going to have to make all of your intercooler piping, downpipe, oil feed/return lines, etc.

Arguing that one is more of a pain than the other is a moot point.

I would absolutely [refer a T4 kit over a T4i anyday of the week. LOTS more options...

superduty4x4

Reaction score

Good to know. I have no experience installing an Irate kit but after playing with an OBS running an S467 with the Irate turbo kit I will say that the intake setup leaves a lot to be desired. I'm not sure if this one is different from most because of the turbo being used but what a fawkin pain in my azz!

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Good to know. I have no experience installing an Irate kit but after playing with an OBS running an S467 with the Irate turbo kit I will say that the intake setup leaves a lot to be desired. I'm not sure if this one is different from most because of the turbo being used but what a fawkin pain in my azz!

Does that truck have one of my Garrett intake tubes on it... If so pull it and send it back to me, or ask the owner to throw me a few bones for it...

Was looking for the damn thing last weekend and remembered he asked to borrow it, about a year ago.:poke:

bigjake0524

Reaction score
Here is an SD kit laid out. The OBS kits have different piping and downpipe. The kits in an OBS truck need to have the intercooler mounted as close to the frame as possible and the fire wall will need to be clearanced for installation. The kits have changed a lot in the last year or so. They have all 304ss intercooler piping, intake pipe, the boot for the 468 is a much better design and installation over the dog house on the valve cover is much easier.

CD20-4FDB-89CF-EA8B75A6080C-10214-0000021D5D889B3F.jpg

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
Feel free to post away, this is what I'm trying to learn!

In fainess to Irate, how long ago were the kits mentioned purchased. I'm sure there has been a learning curve. I think it is awesome for a small company to come to market with a custom product! I don't have what it takes to do it.
Consistant quality is critical, however if early in the life of the product some room for improvement can be tolerated.

Purchased within the last year or so. I was there when the OBS he speaks of was being worked on. Shouldn't take more than one day to install a kit, and Damn near took 3-4days and still didn't fit right

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

bigjake0524

Reaction score
Yes, I know the kit. It was a t4i kit and it had a few issues. That was the first t4i kit for an OBS that we had done. I can own that one!

superduty4x4

Reaction score
Does that truck have one of my Garrett intake tubes on it... If so pull it and send it back to me, or ask the owner to throw me a few bones for it...

Was looking for the damn thing last weekend and remembered he asked to borrow it, about a year ago.:poke:

No comment :evil

Here is an SD kit laid out. The OBS kits have different piping and downpipe. The kits in an OBS truck need to have the intercooler mounted as close to the frame as possible and the fire wall will need to be clearanced for installation. The kits have changed a lot in the last year or so. They have all 304ss intercooler piping, intake pipe, the boot for the 468 is a much better design and installation over the dog house on the valve cover is much easier.

Is there additional clearancing needed besides making room for a round down pipe? And when you say "mount the IC as close to the frame as possible" I'm guessing you mean keeping the IC mounted low?

bigjake0524

Reaction score
Yes, by as close to the frame I mean basically sitting on the frame on a bracket that holds it in place. The downpipe is the major clearance. Sometimes on the back side of the drivers head there is a little place that can be opened up just a touch for the pipes to drop in much easier. Some trucks have a little more room than other agains the firewall.

Strokersace

Reaction score
Yes, by as close to the frame I mean basically sitting on the frame on a bracket that holds it in place. The downpipe is the major clearance. Sometimes on the back side of the drivers head there is a little place that can be opened up just a touch for the pipes to drop in much easier. Some trucks have a little more room than other agains the firewall.

If that's the case then I'll go ahead and mod my firewalls to fit a SD downpipe. I've done 2 rigs like that and getting pretty good at it! More work up front but NICE to work on after that.

mattman347

Reaction score
Go with the T-4 for all the other options!!

I have had no issues with customers having trouble installing Jakes kit. I installed his kit on my personal truck with the only issue being the tight fit on the down pipe but it just took some more firewall clearance, and common sense will tell you if you have old body bushings it is going to be tighter. I just ordered another 8 kits from him just the other day and I expect no issues out of any of those as well.

2000wa250

Reaction score

CD20-4FDB-89CF-EA8B75A6080C-10214-0000021D5D889B3F.jpg

Would have been nice to get that updated boot for the intake for the 468 when I was having my issues with the intake....

Just saying, the fact that there was a new boot was never even mentioned to me....

97f350stroker

Reaction score
I installed Jake's kit on my obs however my motor was on a stand so that part of it was a breeze but the fitment of those parts was very nice. However I did have to some cutting and welding on the downpipe and also had to take some off of the cold side ic pipe so the boot would fit nicely to the intake y. All in all I was happy with the kit and would recommend it to people. I think any time you get that involved in a build you should expect to have to do a little Fab work here and there to make things fit the way you want them to.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I installed Jake's kit on my obs however my motor was on a stand so that part of it was a breeze but the fitment of those parts was very nice. However I did have to some cutting and welding on the downpipe and also had to take some off of the cold side ic pipe so the boot would fit nicely to the intake y. All in all I was happy with the kit and would recommend it to people. I think any time you get that involved in a build you should expect to have to do a little Fab work here and there to make things fit the way you want them to.

Not.bagging on anybody but I agree. Nothing fits.on everything everytime. Who knows what someone else has done to the.vehicle the turbo kit is going on?

TyCorr

Reaction score
Banks kits fit really well.....just sayin.

Dude, back in late 02 when I got my 03 cc/lb 7.3 i only knew of banks and superchips. My buddy bought an obs brand new and a week later had the dealership install a banks deal. It was an air cleaner, turbo housings, exhaust, trans command(lock or unlock converter and tightened up line pressures, billet converter and valvebody) and gauges. He drove that truck for ten years like that and said he changed the oil and put tires on it. Plowed,towed, and drove. He only put 170k on it and traded it in for an 07 gasser chevy.3/4 ton(when they came out with the new ugly body). Banks is a formidable joke nowadays but thats simply because they dont address the low amount of.fuel in a stock injectored truck. I bought an exhaust and turbine discharge from them in 07 for my 00 7.3. I still have it and am half wishing I would have used it again. Their stuff is top tier in quality but just doesnt produce enough power to justify all the overbuilt support mods they sell.

But yea, you have a real good point....

Latest posts

Members online